Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

On 10/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Kent said:

I don’t notice problems with Morrow or Auro, but I don’t really notice them at all this season. Laryea on the other hand is a difference maker when he is on the field. I would start him for TFC.

Morrow gives way more space on the outside this year so he doesn’t get beaten. He’s also been beat wide a fair bit but not burned badly.

He’s still a good quality starting LB but he’s lost a step.  He’s smart enough to give more cushion and not get roasted.

I’m not advocating for him to be gone because I think he has 1 or 2 good years left and he means a lot to the team though.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I'm judging him by the pocket book.  7mil a season was ridiculous when he came to MLS, Now he isnt even worth DP type money, but I dont think he would agree with that.  Right now we could have dirt cheap local boy fraser doing 75% of what Bradley does and that gap is closing every day.  And who knows how high the ceiling is on Fraser??  Same thing with Auro and Lareya (although lareya is alot older).  Lets say they are roughly even now, who's going to be better next year and the year after that??  Look at Crepeau v Bush, Impact are prob wishing they had bet on the younger up and comer instead of the old vet.  

That's a good argument for the owners to make, but as a fan, I don't care if they have to spend a lot more for a better player.  The money's not coming out of my pocket.  MLSE is swimming in profit, and I'm not crying over them overspending in places.  (Last I heard over 10 years ago, the Leafs generated a profit of about $100 million)

I'm hoping that decisions about playing only come down to performance.  Not about whether a player is too old or too young, or if they cost too much.  I'll only care about that stuff when the season is over.

Back on to Laryea, he seems to lose his temper and overreact pretty easily.  I wonder if that figures into his not starting a lot of games.  I'm hoping that he settles down some with age.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm judging him by the pocket book.  7mil a season was ridiculous when he came to MLS, Now he isnt even worth DP type money, but I dont think he would agree with that.  Right now we could have dirt cheap local boy fraser doing 75% of what Bradley does and that gap is closing every day.  And who knows how high the ceiling is on Fraser??  Same thing with Auro and Lareya (although lareya is alot older).  Lets say they are roughly even now, who's going to be better next year and the year after that??  Look at Crepeau v Bush, Impact are prob wishing they had bet on the younger up and comer instead of the old vet.  

Auro is younger than Laryea and was the third ranked player on whoscored all season. There’s nothing wrong with having two good right backs. You can put Richie at RW sometimes and Auro at LB sometimes so they can both get good minutes. 

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

from afterthought on a garbage Orlando team to an off-and-on starter for an MLS Cup team in less that 12 months. Super happy for him.

This is what worries me about Kamal Miller.  I feel the guy has loads of potential, I just hope he doesn't miss playing time and gets lost in the shuffle by poor management.

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

This is what worries me about Kamal Miller.  I feel the guy has loads of potential, I just hope he doesn't miss playing time and gets lost in the shuffle by poor management.

To be fair he played a decent amount last year as a rookie. 

2 hours ago, costarg said:

The good news is Miller is leaps and bounds ahead of where Laryea was. Miller is getting good minutes and he's already on the CMNT radar. 

Laryea was mostly playing garbage time minutes and had no chance to put himself in the shop window.

Oh we are going by age...ok (2019 Miller) 1300+min 14 starts in MLS, vs 250 MLS min and a bunch of Orlando B games for Richie.  And Miller had multiple games on the international stage with the CMNT, and Laryea had none.  

Good news is they both are versatile, can come in and play 2 positions and are making positive strides in carers.  Bad news is they both have tough fights for starts/minutes.  Vanney see Lareya as a sub and Miller will find it hard to duplicate his rookie year with the defenders Orlando has.  I hope we have another couple defenders this year have mini-break out years like these 2 guys did last year.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Oh we are going by age...ok (2019 Miller) 1300+min 14 starts in MLS, vs 250 MLS min and a bunch of Orlando B games for Richie.  And Miller had multiple games on the international stage with the CMNT, and Laryea had none.  

Good news is they both are versatile, can come in and play 2 positions and are making positive strides in carers.  Bad news is they both have tough fights for starts/minutes.  Vanney see Lareya as a sub and Miller will find it hard to duplicate his rookie year with the defenders Orlando has.  I hope we have another couple defenders this year have mini-break out years like these 2 guys did last year.

That is a good point. The majority of Laryea's minutes were with the B team. Miller was strictly with the first team and like you point out, was already an international.  

• 3 weeks later...

I love how easily Richie can deke people in the box, idk why more skilled players can't do that to mls defenders. That's one thing I was really good at doing when I played so I'm always internally yelling at players to do it more.

He could be a very good winger imo.

5 hours ago, costarg said:

We got robbed of the ultimate show down.  We could've been watching ZBG and Laryea head to head as wingbacks on the same side!  Disappointed!

2nd half gave you what you were looking for. Laryea won that battle, but it was more even than versus Shome, who he dominated in the first half.