Jump to content

Richmond "Richie" Laryea


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must not know Vanney.   

That’s how we roll here. 1 game is enough to say either “this player shouldn’t be called anymore, we have to bring on the kids” if someone plays poorly or is benched, or “he will be a guaranteed start

Fully on the Ritchie Laryea hype train!

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Thought he played a very tidy game defensively, and was good in possession as well.  Still think he's more dynamic on the right side but pleased with the results as an LB.  

If he gets more time playing left back that actually makes him a more dynamic option for CMNT.  We may be short on LBs or might need a switch due to injury in the middle of the game where a player like this would be very useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Small sample size but I really like Laryea more at left back. Putting in crosses on the right is not his strength, so might as well have him stretch the field on the left and cut in on his right foot? We saw that in his goal and boy was it ever a beauty.

If Richie can stick it out on the left and put in more performances like that, we may have a real possibility to switch him there for the national team and go with Brault-Guillard on the right, allowing Davies to push further up field. If ZBG struggles, or you simply want to change tactics, we can take him off, drop Davies to left back, and push Laryea over to right back. 

Getting ahead of myself perhaps, but this could help us save on a roster spot. Let me explain. 

By having Richie on the left, and having Davies in the squad, we really don't need to burn a roster spot on a back up left back. We would be covered. If that's not enough depth for you, make sure you call Miller. Kamal gives us depth at left back and left center back. Kaye can play there too in an emergency.

This would be bad news for Adekugbe and Morgan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Small sample size but I really like Laryea more at left back. Putting in crosses on the right is not his strength, so might as well have him stretch the field on the left and cut in on his right foot? We saw that in his goal and boy was it ever a beauty.

If Richie can stick it out on the left and put in more performances like that, we may have a real possibility to switch him there for the national team and go with Brault-Guillard on the right, allowing Davies to push further up field. If ZBG struggles, or you simply want to change tactics, we can take him off, drop Davies to left back, and push Laryea over to right back. 

Getting ahead of myself perhaps, but this could help us save on a roster spot. Let me explain. 

By having Richie on the left, and having Davies in the squad, we really don't need to burn a roster spot on a back up left back. We would be covered. If that's not enough depth for you, make sure you call Miller. Kamal gives us depth at left back and left center back. Kaye can play there too in an emergency.

This would be bad news for Adekugbe and Morgan.

I agree Morgan's time is likely up with the National team but not sure I consider it bad news for Adekugbe.  

Adekugbe has started in 7 of the 8 games in the past month when the league started.  The only game he didn't play, he was suspended.  I understand it is the Norweigan league but Valarenga are currently sitting 3rd in the league.

Laryea is my guy and currently I have him at RB over ZBG but I understand your point if ZBG and Laryea both hit their potentials, I could see them both starting for the NT.  I'm just not sure we have seen Adekugbe have a run like this in terms of starts in a row and currently his team sitting in a Europa League spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, costarg said:

Problem solved, Laryea is the LB, ZGB is the RB, Cordova is the backup for both.  Now we're still just missing the CB's. 

I suggest we move Cavallini and Larin to CB and Akinola to striker.

This is exactly how I see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I agree Morgan's time is likely up with the National team but not sure I consider it bad news for Adekugbe.  

Adekugbe has started in 7 of the 8 games in the past month when the league started.  The only game he didn't play, he was suspended.  I understand it is the Norweigan league but Valarenga are currently sitting 3rd in the league.

Laryea is my guy and currently I have him at RB over ZBG but I understand your point if ZBG and Laryea both hit their potentials, I could see them both starting for the NT.  I'm just not sure we have seen Adekugbe have a run like this in terms of starts in a row and currently his team sitting in a Europa League spot.

For sure I think Morgan is done for all intents and purposes.

I did not mean to be dismissive of Adekugbe. He is trending in the right direction at club level, playing weekly for a team seeking Europa League. Should they qualify, he may put in some good showings against some big teams. This would obviously bode well for us. 

Like Morgan, he can only play at left back though.

If Laryea keeps playing like that at left back, while giving us flexibility, Adekugbe may have his work cut out for him. 

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Like Morgan, he can only play at left back though.

 

I agree.  I also think Laryea is better than Morgan was at his best.  Much more competitive environment for Canada & Toronto FC nowadays.

Adekugbe LB

ZBG RB

Both Laryea & Cordova can play either side.

Not to mention Kamal Miller can slide out Left and Davies could always drop back.

Hopefully we don't see Kaye or Teibert or any other midfielder placed out there in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I really noticed Laryea's awareness on defence tonight. Even when he was stuck in the defensive corner (with the ball) with his back to attackers he was able to avoid the tackles and find the outlet pass. I didn't see him mess that up all night.

Laryea is exceptionally good  and calm on the ball  and it's why he wins many penalties when he attacks the box. It also helps him when pressed on defence.  His calmness on the ball is in stark contrast to his short fuse though...an area he needs to address

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, costarg said:

Problem solved, Laryea is the LB, ZGB is the RB, Cordova is the backup for both.  Now we're still just missing the CB's. 

I suggest we move Cavallini and Larin to CB and Akinola to striker.

It works on FIFA games, why not real life.  I actually think that is what Henry is doing at montreal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how this guy was ever cut. He's so athletic and so techincal. Extremely calm on the ball, versatile. Every time he has the ball something could happen. All his skills are salient. I remember when he played against TFC while he was still with Orlando and within a few minutes I thought "Wow, this guy is going to be a problem".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yohan said:

Inverted leftbacks aren't really fashionable, if the primary role of LB is overlap to deliver crosses on the attack. 

I think it comes and goes, but you see both.

Perhaps you are right that the inverted trend of ten years ago has simmered down. I like either, but I do think that inverted players have to learn to find the touch line and centre with their wrong foot, you can't always be turning in, it is too predictable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it comes and goes, but you see both.

Perhaps you are right that the inverted trend of ten years ago has simmered down. I like either, but I do think that inverted players have to learn to find the touch line and centre with their wrong foot, you can't always be turning in, it is too predictable.

Everytime I watched Robben I would be screaming at the tv...hes going to cut in, watch out, oh son of a &&&&&&!!!  But not everyone can be Robben.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Everytime I watched Robben I would be screaming at the tv...hes going to cut in, watch out, oh son of a &&&&&&!!!  But not everyone can be Robben.  

Lol.  Literally what I was thinking and how I felt watching him.  Like, what the hell did you think he was going to do?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Call me old fashioned, but I still think the primary role of a LB is to help keep their team from being scored on!

Old fashioned ;)

There's a difference tactically between an inverted back and an inverted wing. 

If we see Messi attacking Davies he will challenge his wrong foot and we'll see short speed vs long speed, it'll be fun to watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mikmacdo said:

If I'm TFC I start Richie at lw over endoh when morrow is healthy. 

Not a bad option. I am more inclined to just do a straight swap, Richie for Morrow. Either way I think Richie is making a good case for being a starter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, top cheese said:

I think Canada is best to play a 3-5-2 with Davies on the left and lareya on the right

I think this should be tried at some point. However the drawback is you'd have to sit a strong attacking player in favour of our 3rd best CB, who will likely be our weakest player on the pitch. 

Is it smart to sacrifice Hoilett (for example) in favour of... Miller? Waterman? Vitoria? Cornelius? 

Screenshot_20200717-224015_LINEUP11.jpg

Edited by BrennanFan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Morrow is better than endoh.

Yeah I agree, but Morrow is no spring chicken.

If Laryea gets a run of games at left back and keeps playing well, Vanney could experiment with Morrow at CB in place of Mavinga, who didn't exactly shower himself with glory last night.

The position is less demanding physically and Morrow is beginning to lose a step at 32/33. It may be wise to start the transition sooner than later, or at least they should try it out. It would give the team depth for those times when Chris finds himself injured, suspended, or simply out of form. 

There is already a log jam in attack and midfield so I don't prefer pushing Laryea up there. I much prefer leaving Endoh in that spot and letting players like Schaffleburg, Gillardo or Nelsen challenge him. Creating depth on the backline is more important to me, personally.

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...