Doneil Henry

Coramoor

8 hours ago, Ivan said:

Prior to last season, Mavinga over Miller for sure.  After last season?  Not a chance.  Mavinga was a travesty.  Miller was quite good and highly rated.  Still think Henry would look good in red in a back 2 (with Salcedo) or back 3 adding the Mavinga of years prior to last.  Could be asking for too much money but TFC do have cap space. 

The whole backline looked like shit last season (other than our RBs I guess), Mavinga has been one of my favourite TFC players since he's been here though and I think he'll bounce back this year. I wouldn't mind bringing Doneil back but CB could be a bit crowded this year, especially if Cristico signs in July. The only way it would work is if TFC mostly plays with a back 5 this year.

Henry has one of the most interesting resumes in terms club and league variety:

• MLS (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • EPL (uefa)
  • EFL Championship (uefa)
  • EFL Championship (uefa)
  • Danish Superliga (uefa)
  • USL Championship (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • MLS (concacaf)
  • K-League 1 (afc)
  • K-League 1 (afc)
  • MLS (concacaf)

All he needs is an adventure down to south american and then africa to round it out :)

I would say 3 to start. Murillo and Segura have been the starters, if I am not mistaken. I don't know that much about their squad, but going through the current roster there's not another obvious center back that jumps out ahead of Henry. 

New coaching coming in though, and Dos Santos knows him from Vancouver, so he could realistically find himself higher than 3 in the pecking order. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would say 3 to start. Murillo and Segura have been the starters, if I am not mistaken. I don't know that much about their squad, but going through the current roster there's not another obvious center back that jumps out ahead of Henry. 

New coaching coming in though, and Dos Santos knows him from Vancouver, so he could realistically find himself higher than 3 in the pecking order. 

He is also taking up one of the team's international roster spots so you would like to think he is likely top 2 but definitely top 3.

17 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He is also taking up one of the team's international roster spots so you would like to think he is likely top 2 but definitely top 3.

Isnt he an mls homegrown player so doesnt take up an international roster spot?

i could be wrong. 

Homegrown International Rule

Any player who meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club, will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international roster slot) on both U.S. and Canadian club rosters provided that:

• The player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club no later than the year in which he turned 15 years old; and
  • The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's USL affiliate.
Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Isnt he an mls homegrown player so doesnt take up an international roster spot?

i could be wrong. 

Homegrown International Rule

Any player who meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club, will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international roster slot) on both U.S. and Canadian club rosters provided that:

• The player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club no later than the year in which he turned 15 years old; and
  • The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's USL affiliate.

Not according to the MLS article I was reading on the signing.  The article could be wrong altogether as well.  I was under the same impression you were.  But with MLS, you never know with all their rules.

LAFC sign Canada national team defender Doneil Henry | MLSSoccer.com

TRANSFER TRACKER STATUS: Signing

LAFC have signed Canadian men's national team center back Doneil Henry as a free agent, the club announced Friday.

The 28-year-old spent the last two years with the Suwon Bluewings of the Korean K-League, where he made 41 appearances (35 starts) and scored three goals. He’ll occupy an international roster slot with the Black & Gold.

“Doneil is a veteran and athletic defender who brings incredible international and MLS experience to our club,” LAFC co-president & general manager John Thorrington said in a release. “During his time in Europe and with the Canadian national team he has shown that he will add a strong presence to our backline.”

Henry has been capped 42 times by Canada and is part of their roster that’s on the verge of qualifying for the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

He arrives with 109 regular-season games worth of MLS experience, split across Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. He’s also added six goals and four assists during his previous seven seasons in the league.

Henry joins a center-back corps at LAFC that’s led by Eddie SeguraJesus David Murillo and Mamadou Fall. Segura is coming off a torn ACL he suffered in 2021.

This is LAFC's second CanMNT addition of the offseason after acquiring goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau in a trade with Vancouver.

Edited by Corazon

50 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not according to the MLS article I was reading on the signing.  The article could be wrong altogether as well.  I was under the same impression you were.  But with MLS, you never know with all their rules.

Interesting that LAFC picked up an International slot from Montréal for $200,000 and a draft pick just a few days before Henry's signing, probably one of MLS myriad rules that makes him an exception.

• 2 weeks later...