Doneil Henry

Coramoor

On 7/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, Shway said:

You’re right. I’m really underestimating the physical shape of footballers….I looked up Jozy and he’s 174!

I really need to drop 10lbs is what I’m projecting. 

Found him. I found my professional player profile. I feel like a footballer again. 🤣

image.thumb.png.77c006a3fcd794fca9f7067022639155.png

10 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Up 4-0, last ditch tackle wasn't needed. I wish he would have gotten in the attacker's way rather than a hard tackle. Time and a place and that wasn't it. 

Other than that, thought he was great. He wins every ball in the air and bullies a lot of forwards. 

I thought it was a good tackle. Don’t think he could have simply “gotten in the attackers way”, the ball was in space, Henry went for it and got it. 

1 hour ago, ECW said:

I thought it was a good tackle. Don’t think he could have simply “gotten in the attackers way”, the ball was in space, Henry went for it and got it. 

Seemed like on another day the call could have gone the other way. We can see how unpredictable var can be throughout this league. 

He is big and athletic; he was more than capable of staying up and just getting in the way. He wasn't trailing the attacker; he was already in front of him and just off to the side.

Doesn't seem MLS shows the full highlights for it, just end of the tackle unfortunately so not sure we can actively view it again. 

Edited by canuckgbp

5 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Seemed like on another day the call could have gone the other way. We can see how unpredictable var can be throughout this league. 

He is big and athletic; he was more than capable of staying up and just getting in the way. He wasn't trailing the attacker; he was already in front of him and just off to the side.

Doesn't seem MLS shows the full highlights for it, just end of the tackle unfortunately so not sure we can actively view it again. 

It's fairly comprehensively discussed here but there is still only one angle available which is strange as there are about 17 different angles available of each of TFC's goals on the day:

Nice replay of Henry's tackle.  There is some discussion about Henry possibly missing the ball with his front foot, making it a foul.  However, it looked to me like if he did miss it, it was because the opponent kicked Henry's leg away from the ball.  So, I don't think he deserved getting a call for that.

I think the analysis is dead on: it is not a clear penalty.

Henry, been thinking about how he seems to always need to take a desperate lunge at something. Reminds me of that Norm MacDonald routine about designated drivers while the rest are drinking. In a bar full of drunks:

"Please don't take a wild swing at me." 

So Henry is the guy you think is going to take that wild swing, even if he doesn't do it nearly as much as you think.

46 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Another problem with going for this home run tackle is that you’re now out of position / out of the play if you don’t succeed, even if you don’t cause a foul/penalty/card.  It just seems like he does it too frequently for someone with so much experience. 

And it is often and almost always unnecessary, if you look at the cases. Where he has other defenders near him. Where the attacker even if controlling is not going to be able to control well and shoot easily, when basically contention and holding are just as or even more effective. 

Apart from understanding that in the box it's a no-no and a veteran should not be doing that, even if he feels capable of imposing himself through the tackle.

On those highlights is that Kaye stupidly getting in the fray and yapping when the calls went clearly their way? MAK, stfu and play, we don't need that crap from any player, and least of a guy who is not the captain and does not seem to be very good in the self-control department either. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

You are probably correct, but I hope he wins the Toronto FC starting job and becomes an anchor at the back for them.  Seems like a low bar given TFC's CB issues, but I hope Henry does that at least. 

Not to be overly negative, but I would be even more firm on this one - he damn well better get some consistent playing time for TFC because if a guy like Mavinga can freeze him out of the starting line up, it doesn’t speak well to what he is doing day in and day out at training.  

The more interesting question is, what happens if MacNaughton is the one keeping out Henry? In terms of the NT program it is clear that Henry is way ahead of MacNaughton, but it would be pretty odd to see a NT take a clear 2nd choice over a 1st choice player. I am not saying this means to therefore call up MacNaughton, but it would be an even better argument against taking Henry in general.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The more interesting question is, what happens if MacNaughton is the one keeping out Henry? In terms of the NT program it is clear that Henry is way ahead of MacNaughton, but it would be pretty odd to see a NT take a clear 2nd choice over a 1st choice player. I am not saying this means to therefore call up MacNaughton, but it would be an even better argument against taking Henry in general.

I thought MacNaughton usually plays on the left side. I know he shifted to the right with Mavinga vs NE. To me it's more of a battle btw Henry and Mavinga because you can't play those two together

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how he goes to Qatar at this rate. He might be a good dressing room guy but players are going because they are good field guys too. And he is not seeing the field from one  week to the next. We can’t bring someone who is not in game shape just cause he is a solid dude.  Put him as a coach and bring another player if you want that. 

25 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Not sure how he goes to Qatar at this rate. He might be a good dressing room guy but players are going because they are good field guys too. And he is not seeing the field from one  week to the next. We can’t bring someone who is not in game shape just cause he is a solid dude.  Put him as a coach and bring another player if you want that. 

It is a tough call.  The reality is that one Canadian (MacNaughton) has been keeping Doneil off the field, and another (Waterman) has been consistently performing every week for a team that is  in a playoff spot (and thus will likely be playing longer in the post season).  If Henry can’t get some playing time with TFC over the next two months, it has to at least increase the possibility that he is displaced.    

Must keep updating your resume. He may have intangible qualities but if he can't beat out the other TFC CB's for starting time, doesn't bode well, regardless of if he gets on that plane or not. 

Is indeed a tough call because Doneil is a great guy. If this is for the last CB spot, Herdman's calculation may be that his intangibles bring more than another younger player (who is getting more minutes) who wouldn't be playing unless something went wrong.

I can see value in that. I just assumed (and hoped) Doneil would be a clear #1 at TFC for the remaining games because of the difficulties they have had. 

The worrying thing for me is Kennedy is only getting late game sub minutes after being an important piece last year (still early and not sure if it is fitness or they just upgraded) 

I cant nerd out on football skills like some but I can nerd out on intangibles.  The truth is Doneil changed the vibe vs Panama and deflected credit in an interview later saying it had already changed thanks to Davies (which was not really true). He set the tone in Edmonton with that 'cement wall tackle' that took a bit of spirit out of Mexico's legs. And he vetted Ike Ugbo to make sure he had good intentions in joining Canada. If they can make him a coach to get Waterman or McNaughton, that's fine. None of these players are likely to get much playing time, but Henry just has a way to have an impact. Hes the tough older brother, he keeps a lid on things. I think itd be a mistake for Herdman to not bring him.