Doneil Henry

Coramoor

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Seen this too, and said the same thing. Absolutely no way he weighs that much! No way!

Thing is, lately players are slimming amazingly, they are all on strict diets and the weights are coming down. Former "tanks" have become much leaner. For example, if those numbers are right he's almost the exact height and weight as Sergio Ramos.

But it's slim, must admit. Benzema they say is just a couple pounds lighter, Luis Suárez just over, though both are shorter. 

8 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

Was a no-brainer, hopefully he adds some stability to the defence

Maybe the earlier statement that it was nothing more than doing him a favour on training was to throw Charlotte off in their preparations or stop any other team claiming him off waivers to try to engineer a trade? All a bit strange as it would have been bizarre if Bob Bradley hadn't made this move.

20 hours ago, Shway said:

Seen this too, and said the same thing. Absolutely no way he weighs that much! No way!

That is because he trains every day. Like a boxer cutting to his fighting weight. If he were fit like a beer drinking Voyageur he'd walk around at 210-220.

Henry totally preserved that clean sheet.  He’s also lucky as hell that wasn’t a penalty.  It could have been an easy yellow or even a straight red I think.

Todays half was the definition of a Doneil Henry game.  He saved a surefire goal and sniffed and and intercepted 2 other legitimate goal scoring opportunities.  Then there’s that one reckless challenge.

20 hours ago, Ruffian said:

That is because he trains every day. Like a boxer cutting to his fighting weight. If he were fit like a beer drinking Voyageur he'd walk around at 210-220.

You’re right. I’m really underestimate the physical shape of footballers….I looked up Jozy and he’s 174!

I really need to drop 10lbs is what I’m projecting. 

7 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Doneil is a big upgrade over what we had. Someone on here once pointed out that he has like 1 or 2 red cards in his TFC and CMNT career.  A number of people make it sound like he gets reds every 3rd game.  Happy to have him back and hope he starts every game from now until the end of the season.

I believe 1 straight red card in his whole career and 1 sending off due to 2 yellows. His problem is giving away penalty kicks.

47 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Doneil is a big upgrade over what we had. Someone on here once pointed out that he has like 1 or 2 red cards in his TFC and CMNT career.  A number of people make it sound like he gets reds every 3rd game.  Happy to have him back and hope he starts every game from now until the end of the season.

People make it sound like he gives up a penalty every 3rd game.  In fact, I'm sure in some peoples minds he gave one up last game.  I wonder if they keep that stat anywhere, so we could see how many he actually does get called for, vs Mavinga etc. 

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

People make it sound like he gives up a penalty every 3rd game.  In fact, I'm sure in some peoples minds he gave one up last game.  I wonder if they keep that stat anywhere, so we could see how many he actually does get called for, vs Mavinga etc. 

Henry and Mavinga pairing. Could be solid, but any minute you could be like....

Scared Horror GIF

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I don't think he gives up penalties anywhere near that frequency (or gets reds that often either).  What I can say is that after watching him and Kendall Waston on the Caps for several years is that their brand of defending is both brutal and ruthlessly effective most of the time.  No one wants to play in the box if they're going to get an elbow to the head, a knee in the back, an arm in the throat, or kick to the groin.  On the other hand, I can also say watching those two try to deal with tricky dribblers was like watching a girl walk down a dark hall in a slasher movie.  You know something bad is going to happen, maybe not this time, or the next time, but it will happen...

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

I don't think he gives up penalties anywhere near that frequency (or gets reds that often either).  What I can say is that after watching him and Kendall Waston on the Caps for several years is that their brand of defending is both brutal and ruthlessly effective most of the time.  No one wants to play in the box if they're going to get an elbow to the head, a knee in the back, an arm in the throat, or kick to the groin.  On the other hand, I can also say watching those two try to deal with tricky dribblers was like watching a girl walk down a dark hall in a slasher movie.  You know something bad is going to happen, maybe not this time, or the next time, but it will happen...

You nailed it.  Like everything, it's all about balance, you can't have two similar CB's.  Ciman is great example, he would look great with the right partner, and absolutely brutal with another.  Just like you can't have two similar strikers or mids.  Pirlo needed Gattuso, just like Larin can't play with David.

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, costarg said:

You nailed it.  Like everything, it's all about balance, you can't have two similar CB's.  Ciman is great example, he'd would look great with the right partner, and absolutely brutal with another.  Just like you can't have two similar strikers or mids.  Pirlo needed Gattuso, just like Larin can't play with David.

We've seen a lot that Larin and David can play together. However, is it the best pairing for Canada? Probably not.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:43 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Henry totally preserved that clean sheet.  He’s also lucky as hell that wasn’t a penalty.  It could have been an easy yellow or even a straight red I think.

Todays half was the definition of a Doneil Henry game.  He saved a surefire goal and sniffed and and intercepted 2 other legitimate goal scoring opportunities.  Then there’s that one reckless challenge.

Henry was very vocal and organized the back line well. He was especially vigilant with Thompson who has desperately needed the help all season… much needed also with Bono as the keeper.

He’s much more experienced and more commanding than he was in his early days. There is still a risk factor but in this match he was responsible not for Toronto’s card but instead for Charlotte’s red and their manager’s and assistant’s yellows. Different immediate effect but something of the same idea when he partly won us the Mexico match with that early body check on Lozano.