Doneil Henry

Coramoor

56 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Players play to there strengths he’s a defender not a quarterback. He does his job and is much better then brooks

Much better let’s not go overboard here, he finally had a good game and played to his strength and kept the mistakes to a minimum, but want to see consistency now and Canada will need it from him.

Since returning back to CMNT this year after a lengthy time away due to injuries and timing, he has played 8 games.  In those 8 games this year, he has been relatively good to very good in almost all games with the exception of the penalty he gave away against Mexico.  Unfortunately, he's had these mental breakdowns before but in his 8 caps this year he has given away 1 penalty and received 1 yellow card on that same penalty.  I still believe Vitoria is our main guy there during these qualifiers but Doneil has shown me he can be a decent backup in the position.

Very few of the Henry detractors (myself included), ever complained about his talent. It was always about the mistakes. So the debate really came down to risk tolerance, were you willing to risk the one potential brain fart that could change a game? This is a question you should ask of every player, but unfortunately with Henry, it seemed that we were asking it too often.

Can a zebra change its stripes at 28 years old? I doubt it. He still scares me, and I feel like that will always be the case, no matter how many strong performances he puts forward. I recognize that my opinion has been tainted. So whoever was praying in the matchday thread...please keep it up!!! It seemed to work really well.

5 hours ago, masster said:

Very few of the Henry detractors (myself included), ever complained about his talent. It was always about the mistakes. So the debate really came down to risk tolerance, were you willing to risk the one potential brain fart that could change a game? This is a question you should ask of every player, but unfortunately with Henry, it seemed that we were asking it too often.

Can a zebra change its stripes at 28 years old? I doubt it. He still scares me, and I feel like that will always be the case, no matter how many strong performances he puts forward. I recognize that my opinion has been tainted. So whoever was praying in the matchday thread...please keep it up!!! It seemed to work really well.

That is the truth of it, for me.  He did have a great game.  Full credit for that - and thanks for getting an important away point.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he can make big mistakes in big moments - and at what definitely seems like a higher rate than our other CB’s.  He could very well follow up that beastly US performance with a couple of blunders against ES that causes everyone to get out the knives again.  It is just the player that he is.   

5 hours ago, masster said:

I feel the same way.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think the substitution had much to do with the fouls/card. He was clearly struggling with some sort of leg injury, beaten for pace by guys he normally would have no problem running with.

I think he was coming off at half no matter what. Injury just forced their hand 

55 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

At one point, Borjan pointed to the Bench, then to Henry and then to his own thigh, basically saying get Henry out of the game, he is injured.  Borjan has become the leader of this team on top of playing his best ever for Canada.

Good eye, I didnt catch that.  Although that makes a lot of sense.  Herdamn didnt yank Lareya off after an early yellow against CR and Richie is 1000% a guy that could get goaded into a cheap 2nd yellow.  

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Good eye, I didnt catch that.  Although that makes a lot of sense.  Herdamn didnt yank Lareya off after an early yellow against CR and Richie is 1000% a guy that could get goaded into a cheap 2nd yellow.  

This is like the 5th time I’ve seen someone say that about Ritchie. I don’t thing the dude has ever gotten sent off, and if so, it’s once. He is so good at tip toeing the line, and never goes over it. 

46 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

This is like the 5th time I’ve seen someone say that about Ritchie. I don’t thing the dude has ever gotten sent off, and if so, it’s once. He is so good at tip toeing the line, and never goes over it. 

Exactly. He knows when to go nuclear and when to reign it in. I noticed a few times the Mexican players tried to goad him and others into retaliating, but he just stared them down. Loved it

35 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Exactly. He knows when to go nuclear and when to reign it in. I noticed a few times the Mexican players tried to goad him and others into retaliating, but he just stared them down. Loved it

Laryea is driving me nuts. From what I've seen, cutely trying to push the limits of a concacaf ref in any game that means something is going to end in disaster, for a Canadian. They're the greatest refs ever when the game is meaningless or not in doubt. 

This year the only huge complaint I have is the crazy impossibility of us getting a penalty kick,so far.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I keep thinking the same thing but is there any evidence to support this, he plays on the edge and is a shit disturber but seems to be able to balance it especially playing with a card!

Richie may not have screwed it enough to get a second yellow yet, but you can’t tell me that he is carefully walking a fine line.  There have been multiple scrums or hard fouls where a ref could have easily given him a second yellow. He has been very lucky on multiple games.  Maybe he is showing some restraint at specific times, but he could be far more controlled when circumstances warrant it.  

2 hours ago, gator said:

I keep thinking the same thing but is there any evidence to support this, he plays on the edge and is a shit disturber but seems to be able to balance it especially playing with a card!

None, He has never ever been sent off in college, pro club, cup competition or the CMNT.  Plenty of cautions, no sending off.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

4 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

This. I never understood why people get so worried about him getting a red. He just likes to get into the heads of his opponents, he knows his limits guys. don't worry.

Just gotta state that Henry taking out Chucky was one of the most important plays of the game. Gotta believe it was a planned, "set the tone early" type of play. Chucky Lozano was a non factor after that probable concussion. 

The CanMNT version of Bobby Clarke taking out Valery Kharlamov. Who else do you turn to for a hit job like that but Doneil Freaking Henry?

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Just gotta state that Henry taking out Chucky was one of the most important plays of the game. Gotta believe it was a planned, "set the tone early" type of play. Chucky Lozano was a non factor after that probable concussion. 

The CanMNT version of Bobby Clarke taking out Valery Kharlamov. Who else do you turn to for a hit job like that but Doneil Freaking Henry?

No problem there, but then he proceeded to take a number of fouls in relatively short order after that, culminating in a too-early booking, which affects a defender's play for the rest of his time on the pitch.  

Edited by BearcatSA