Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Herdman on Henry’s crunching open ice hit:

“I thought Doneil set the tone for what was going to happen. It became a war on the benches (which both received yellow cards). It became a war on the field,” said Herdman. “And the fans came with us.”

He absolutely killed Lozano. Quite the first impression. Can’t believe it wasn’t a yellow.

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Herdman on Henry’s crunching open ice hit:

“I thought Doneil set the tone for what was going to happen. It became a war on the benches (which both received yellow cards). It became a war on the field,” said Herdman. “And the fans came with us.”

He absolutely killed Lozano. Quite the first impression. Can’t believe it wasn’t a yellow.

I don't know if it was planned, but the best time to make a challenge like that is early in the game. Refs don't call things the same at the start as they do later on. That would definitely be a yellow card in the second half, but it takes some time for a ref to "break the seal". I can't remember if it was in the Mexico game or the Costa Rica game, but I believe there was an early play where a Canadian broke up the field and was held back by an opponent. If the play was later in the game it would have been a routine yellow card, but it was so early in the game that there was no card given.

I would say it's stupid to call the game differently at the start than you do at the end, but at the same time, the punishments are diminished as the game goes on as well, so it's not entirely stupid. A red card in the 10th minute is a lot more punitive than a red card in the 80th minute.

I remember the referee was telling the Mexican players that the hit was shoulder to shoulder, so it didn't deserve a card.  I think hitting the frozen ground is what hurt Lozano the most, not the challenge itself.  It was a tough call, but I think the referee got it right.  Of course, it counted a lot towards the persistent fouling card Henry got a bit later.

3 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I remember the referee was telling the Mexican players that the hit was shoulder to shoulder, so it didn't deserve a card.  I think hitting the frozen ground is what hurt Lozano the most, not the challenge itself.  It was a tough call, but I think the referee got it right.  Of course, it counted a lot towards the persistent fouling card Henry got a bit later.

If you see it from another angle it looked like it was a headshot. It probably would have got him suspended in the NHL even. 

I agree @Kentthat it was perfect timing. I do agree with others who have surmised that Herdman sent Henry out there to leave a few marks. 

Henry is a no nonsense defender who usually times his tackles quite well, that early tackle may have set the tone for the match, I think the injury was from hitting the frozen turf so hard! If you see your team mate getting taken out like that early on from a defender like Henry I think it will affect how you play the game, you hear footsteps, well done Henry!

30 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

He got off a bit easy cause it was practically the first foul of the game. He came through from behind and wiped out the player. It wasn’t to the head but it was a dangerous play all the same.

That might as well have been the end of Lozano though. Didn’t see him after that

13 hours ago, ag futbol said:

He came through from behind and wiped out the player. It wasn’t to the head but it was a dangerous play all the same.

Agreed.  As a one off and for an isolated incident ok, yes we’ll take.  But in this sport you dont want to get that kind of reputation. Not as a player nor as a team.  This is not hockey.  

this play came to mind when i saw that incident.  Lets just say that Schumacher never endeared himself with anyone for that play.  BTW, there was no card issued

Edited by Free kick

15 hours ago, Bdog said:

Injury or not I was a bit scared he'd end up getting himself sent off and agreed with the substitution, that being said he was a beast while he was out there. Fits in well with the no back down attitude we now have.

Totally agree.  I've watched enough Doneil Henry (Whitecaps fan here) to know that when he's in that mood, literally every ball played in his direction is a game of Russian roulette.  I thought his K-league stint had tempered that a bit, but it's clear now that calming the beast is not the same as taming it.  😰  Injured or not, it was a great substitution.   

2 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

No Henry on the pitch or on the bench last night for Suwon Bluewings. Hopefully the injury isn’t too bad, but with only two games left the Mexico game may be his last match till January.

Last time he returned from international duty he missed the first game back too, could be covid protocols. 

• 2 weeks later...

Henry's club hasn't won in five outings. Three of the games were multiple-goal losses, including the 2-0 loss today versus Suwon FC. Henry played 90 minutes in all of those losses. To be fair, his side's best result in five games was a 0-0 draw with Ulsan and he did play in that one as well.

I do not watch much K-League, but for anyone who does, are the stats in this case cause for alarm and is the consensus that Henry should be in the fold come January?

10 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Henry's club hasn't won in five outings. Three of the games were multiple-goal losses, including the 2-0 loss today versus Suwon FC. Henry played 90 minutes in all of those losses. To be fair, his side's best result in five games was a 0-0 draw with Ulsan and he did play in that one as well.

I do not watch much K-League, but for anyone who does, are the stats in this case cause for alarm and is the consensus that Henry should be in the fold come January?

I'll admit to being a bigger Henry fan than most. But who takes his place if he doesn't come? Would people actually be more comfortable if someone like Manjrekar James or Joel Waterman had to play minutes for us in his place? I know I wouldn't. 

14 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

The Korean league does a split at the end (like Scotland) where only the top teams play each other. 

His team has not won since that split occurred.

He will also be in his off season in January.

25 minutes ago, jonovision said:

But who takes his place if he doesn't come?

It's a good question, and I think it indicates that we still have some room to grow in this area. Maybe there is no one who could challenge Henry for a spot in the squad, but as far as starting, I'd might want to try a healthy Cornelius ahead of Henry if Vitoria needs a rest. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

I'm fine with Cornelius spelling Vitoria instead of Henry some of the time but I think you have to keep Henry in the 25 or however many man squad. I know a lot of people keep thinking back to the Mexico match, but that was against our toughest opponent and Henry was carrying an injury. He has been solid and reliable when called upon in every other instance in WCQ so far.

31 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm fine with Cornelius spelling Vitoria instead of Henry some of the time but I think you have to keep Henry in the 25 or however many man squad. I know a lot of people keep thinking back to the Mexico match, but that was against our toughest opponent and Henry was carrying an injury. He has been solid and reliable when called upon in every other instance in WCQ so far.

Point taken. For what it's worth, here's a highlights video of the most-recent club game. Goals start at 2:50 and 5:50. He didn't look great on either one, honestly:

49 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's a good question, and I think it indicates that we still have some room to grow in this area. Maybe there is no one who could challenge Henry for a spot in the squad, but as far as starting, I'd might want to try a healthy Cornelius ahead of Henry if Vitoria needs a rest. 

don't think I have ever seen Cornelius play central in a back 3. He is also a left footer and Henry usually plays RCB in a back 4. If Kennedy can get over his injury and is back starting for Regensburg he could be an option but as jonovision mentioned I doubt Henry get excluded from the squad