Steven Vitória

Yohan

Steven Vitória will be a reinforcement for Chaves
Luís Rocha Rodrigues zerozero.pt July 4, 2022

The Portuguese-Canadian defender is close to being confirmed as a Flaviense reinforcement for the new season. After Alexsandro's departure, Chaves, who is back in the top flight of Portuguese football, strengthens the sector.

The information was provided by A Bola and meanwhile confirmed by zerozero . The 35-year-old player intends to continue playing at a high level, especially as the World Cup is approaching, where he expects to be at the service of Canada.

In turn, for the return to the first league, the flavienses want experience for the back sector and Steven Vitória brings this component, in addition to being known to Vítor Campelos, the coach who endorsed his hiring at Moreirense and with whom he worked for a few months.

It should be added that the contract that will be signed lasts for one season, after the center has become free on the market, after ending the connection with the canons.

I don’t think anything of the optics TBH. He is a guy that is obviously on the down side of his career, has shown himself to be a capable defender at a team at precisely this level, and he is trading teams in the pro-rel zone.   Plus he is probably on a salary that is attractive to a club like this.  The move makes a whole life of sense to me.  Anyone who thinks he would have tanked  a pro-rel game to somehow manufacture this move would have to be looking pretty hard for something controversial.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anything of the optics TBH. He is a guy that is obviously on the down side of his career, has shown himself to be a capable defender at a team at precisely this level, and he is trading teams in the pro-rel zone.   Plus he is probably on a salary that is attractive to a club like this.  The move makes a whole life of sense to me.  Anyone who thinks he would have tanked  a pro-rel game to somehow manufacture this move would have to be looking pretty hard for something controversial.  

Especially considering over the 2 legs he played 8 minutes in the game they won 1-0.

Shifting from a relegated team to a team in top flight is a good move. 

It also keeps him game sharp for the WC, as Portugal has tough teams with on the ball talent and good strikers. 

I think Steven is not making much more than 200,000 euros a year. I could be wrong, but his salary demands are likely modest, they can afford him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...