Steven Vitória

Yohan

Agree with Marc on Hoilett, glad on both those guys, not bitter, just happier when they commit earlier.  As far as Vitoria, he has been a rock for us when the team was on a upswing and reached the highest of highs.  BUT....hes prob only going to get 50 caps.  That brings him down a notch or two, Samuel was a workhorse for maybe a dozen years, 80's WC to the late 90's and was in top flight Holland, he would be #1 CB for me.  DeVos/Mckenna up there more for sentimental reasons.  Miller has a shot to get there if he keeps it up, still only 26.  

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Randy Samuel was technically a more well rounded CB.  Vitoria, given he anchored us to a world cup, I'd put second all time, above deVos and McKenna.  Those 2 built their reputations on being passionate vocal leaders and captains, but they both had their limitations and Vitoria is/was simply better on the ball and in the air than they were.  Jakovic, Edgar, Menezes, Watson would be third tier for us - and they'd all be starters for us today easily.  

I have to put in a plug for Ian Bridge too.  In that 1986 World Cup qualifying run, in my opinion, he was even more important than Randy Samuel.  Not as fast or as athletic as Samuel, but positionally and technically better, and an absolute beast in the air (like Samuel).  It was those two who put us into the World Cup more than anyone else in my opinion.  (Ok, Bruce Wilson too.)

Bridge retired early and so his caps reflect that, but between his youth involvement and his post-player involvement with the national teams, it's fair to say he has done as much for Canada soccer as anyone.  And even though his actual playing contributions as a CB were time-limited, they were really really good.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

I have to put in a plug for Ian Bridge too.  In that 1986 World Cup qualifying run, in my opinion, he was even more important than Randy Samuel.  Not as fast or as athletic as Samuel, but positionally and technically better, and an absolute beast in the air (like Samuel).  It was those two who put us into the World Cup more than anyone else in my opinion.  (Ok, Bruce Wilson too.)

Bridge retired early and so his caps reflect that, but between his youth involvement and his post-player involvement with the national teams, it's fair to say he has done as much for Canada soccer as anyone.  And even though his actual playing contributions as a CB were time-limited, they were really really good.

My recollection is that Samuel didn’t really play much if at all in qualifying. Bridge I believe was partnered with Terry Moore then and Samuel only came in to start at the World Cup. I remember feeling sorry for Moore because of it. But maybe my old brain remembers wrong.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

My recollection is that Samuel didn’t really play much if at all in qualifying. Bridge I believe was partnered with Terry Moore then and Samuel only came in to start at the World Cup. I remember feeling sorry for Moore because of it. But maybe my old brain remembers wrong.

Actually you have a much better memory than mine!  I went and looked at the game logs, and you're at least partly (mostly) correct.  Samuel and Bridge partnered for 4 games in the second round of qualifying (Apr - May 1985), but in the final round (Aug - Sep), for the first three games it was Moore + Bridge, with Samuel subbing in.  It was only in the final qualifying game against Honduras that the Samuel + Bridge pair started again.  And then of course they partnered for all three WC games.  Well done fellow old-timer!  😉

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

My memory isn't quite as good as some of the other old guys here. Was Ian Bridge one of the Singapore match-fixing group?

No, that was Igor Vrablic, David Norman, Hector Marinaro and Christopher Chueden.  😟

Bridge was integral to our corner kick attacks with his ability to dominate at the near post with his flick ons against what was often questionable CONCACAF goalkeeping and set play defending.  For a workmanlike side without dynamic open play attacking options, it was imperative that we generate scoring opportunities from dead ball service and he was a massive part of that.

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

Actually you have a much better memory than mine!  I went and looked at the game logs, and you're at least partly (mostly) correct.  Samuel and Bridge partnered for 4 games in the second round of qualifying (Apr - May 1985), but in the final round (Aug - Sep), for the first three games it was Moore + Bridge, with Samuel subbing in.  It was only in the final qualifying game against Honduras that the Samuel + Bridge pair started again.  And then of course they partnered for all three WC games.  Well done fellow old-timer!  😉

Well. Your memory is as good as mine as I thought Samuel didn’t start at all in qualifying 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:21 AM, costarg said:

Please say it ain't so.  If this does happen, it means we need to play at Copa - against even tougher competition - with the exact same lineup and formation.  There will be no time or matches to try new combinations and tactics.  Is that really our best option to regain some competitiveness?

We lost opportunities to give extended looks to guys when we didn't play in the fall.  So, in the minds of the current coaching staff, that will probably be the best option for this play-in match.

The back ups might feature a maybe surprise or two, but the starters are a given for me, if all are healthy.

• 5 weeks later...

* Disclaimer: This is not me picking on him - I've always followed his progress and matches - just providing an update *

Has not played in the last 3, benched since the 1-5 loss vs a mid-table team.  Chaves still in last and facing relegation.  Chaves has signed a couple of new CB's in the last transfer window, not looking good for Steven.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Vitoria came on at 82' to help protect a 2-1 lead vs the 3rd worst team in Liga NOS.  Portimonense scores a minute later and again in stoppage to win 2-3. 

I can't imagine a scenario where we see him represent us again.

Bizarre. I agree it's time to move on, but I'm surprised his performances have been poor. Purely from a quality standpoint, I still thought he could compete for a CMNT starting spot. That isn't saying much, but that's just how poor our backline continues to be. 

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

Vitoria came on at 82' to help protect a 2-1 lead vs the 3rd worst team in Liga NOS.  Portimonense scores a minute later and again in stoppage to win 2-3. 

I can't imagine a scenario where we see him represent us again.

Have a feeling he will retire at the end of the season 

15 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Bizarre. I agree it's time to move on, but I'm surprised his performances have been poor. Purely from a quality standpoint, I still thought he could compete for a CMNT starting spot. That isn't saying much, but that's just how poor our backline continues to be. 

Personally, I felt we needed to move on even before it was so obvious his level had dropped off to this extent.  Given his age and limitations there was not enough upside to keep playing him ahead of the others considering he'd be done in a year anyway.  We needed to develop the new CB combinations ASAP, not wait until the very last minute.  

On paper, I feel Cornelius & Bombito are probably the strongest combination we have at the moment, but there is no familiarity or experience between them.  That's what we get for trying to draw water from a stone.  Unfortunate circumstance.

46 minutes ago, costarg said:

Personally, I felt we needed to move on even before it was so obvious his level had dropped off to this extent.  Given his age and limitations there was not enough upside to keep playing him ahead of the others considering he'd be done in a year anyway.  We needed to develop the new CB combinations ASAP, not wait until the very last minute.  

On paper, I feel Cornelius & Bombito are probably the strongest combination we have at the moment, but there is no familiarity or experience between them.  That's what we get for trying to draw water from a stone.  Unfortunate circumstance.

That pairing does seem like our best right now. I'm a bit worried about Cornelius from some of his performances with the CMNT, but he plays at a decent level and is young enough to get better.