Steven Vitória

Yohan

On 11/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, dyslexic nam said:

This guys has been quietly and consistently playing very well for club and country.  He has become a pretty huge part of our team. 

As an aside, it is interesting to go back and re-read the first page of this thread.  Needless to say, I suspect some people have come around on him.  

I've been thinking about this a bit recently and after having read De Ro's book, it was easy at the time to complain about guys not committing but holy shit was the CSA so bad at making enticing environments for players to play in prior to Floro's tenure.

Like representing your country is a great honour of course but between players getting told they'd lose their spot on the team if they repped Canada (which is wrong of course) and the often miserable experience it was actually being in camp with Canada I don't really blame guys too much for being hesitant to join the program. 

We were a big country operating like a Saint Lucia or Belize without the nice beaches.

Edited by VinceA

I think he was making 100k at Moreienese. That's pretty decent given he's near the end of his career. He's had a long career at a ton of modest clubs, his short spell at Benfica aside, so perhaps most of his contracts throughout the years were sub 500k per season. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think he was making 100k at Moreienese. That's pretty decent given he's near the end of his career. He's had a long career at a ton of modest clubs, his short spell at Benfica aside, so perhaps most of his contracts throughout the years were sub 500k per season. 

In 2015 with Philadelphia he was making $400,000.00

18 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

In 2015 with Philadelphia he was making $400,000.00

He was on loan there from Benfica. I wonder if that number was what the Portuguese giants were paying him. If so, perhaps that was his biggest contract. I doubt he had a contract sweeter than what Benfica paid him, especialy given that age-wise he was near the prime of his career at the time.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He'll have to work when he quits football, I doubt he's making more than 200k a year, maybe less. And that is at his age.

Most professional footballers other than those who play significant portions of their careers in the Big 5 European leagues would have to work at some level after their playing careers are over, no? A player like SV will have to work, but will still have accumulated a decent little nest egg from his earnings as a player, if he's managed his money well.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Most professional footballers other than those who play significant portions of their careers in the Big 5 European leagues would have to work at some level after their playing careers are over, no? A player like SV will have to work, but will still have accumulated a decent little nest egg from his earnings as a player, if he's managed his money well.

Those guys wont be left without work. if you play at that level for as long as he has and your not a complete meathead in the locker room, he will work for soccer canada or some pro team if he wants 

23 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Those guys wont be left without work. if you play at that level for as long as he has and your not a complete meathead in the locker room, he will work for soccer canada or some pro team if he wants 

Oh, there are definitely avenues for further employment for most former players, be that in coaching, media, public speaking, sports administration, or even going the age-old British way of opening a pub.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I supposed it depends on what lifestyle they would like to live, and what they've done with their money. A guy like Jonathan Osorio will have made more in his playing career (surely north of $5M US) than I will in my lifetime in a decent middle class job. 

53 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I supposed it depends on what lifestyle they would like to live, and what they've done with their money. A guy like Jonathan Osorio will have made more in his playing career (surely north of $5M US) than I will in my lifetime in a decent middle class job. 

Don’t forget the perks, like all you can eat shawarma.  

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yeah, it's complicated.  It's easy to project the Canadian experience with income to what the players are reported to be earning when that may not be applicable.  Wages being reported net tax, exchange rates, that sort of stuff.   

That said, I have it in my head the median average wage in the Championship was around 300K pounds.  That's serious clink.  Maybe not the best example I'll admit, I'm sure 2nd tier in Belgium or Scotland or anywhere else for that matter isn't anywhere near that but still.  Serious moolah.  

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Oh, there are definitely avenues for further employment for most former players, be that in coaching, media, public speaking, sports administration, or even going the age-old British way of opening a pub.

now there's a legacy I would love to see from the next 2 WC's...a few Canada-focussed footie pubs owned by our faves!

8 minutes ago, eramosat said:

don't keep it a secret!  may be worth heading to for Croatia and Morocco for me, as Belgium plans are set.

It's not a secret, he posts about it all the time and it has hosted V's watch parties during qualifying.

Onyxx Sports Bar & Grill.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 11:40 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Don’t forget the perks, like all you can eat shawarma.  

I believe that is only for Larin. ;)

-----

https://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=426413

Vitória is expected to play in the Portuguese League Cup match tomorrow against Porto.

He will not face Eustáquio as he is still injured.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Still cant understand why a veteran like Vitoria didn't step up to take the penalty vs Belgium in the WC. He has a great record on penalties in club footie

It really boggles the mind that a control freak like Herdman wouldn’t have a predetermined penalty taker. I think that’s something he needs to change moving forward. If you let the players decide for themselves, the loudest voice is going to win out instead of the best option. And what happens next time if David and Phonzy both want to take the next one? That’s not a situation you want in the middle of an important game.

While in Qatar- was in a food court and shared a table with his family ( wife, kids, brother)- day after the Belgium game

Said to the table then and still feel the same, that SV should have taken the penalty. Upthread there are several highlights on spot kicks or free kicks where he buries them too

Herdman seems so prepared for everything ( huge PowerPoint's to prep players, lots of we "studied film" and while watching the Canada Soccer series in advance of Qatar- every detail was managed......everything had a plan ( like a clean sheet and 11 goals v Cayman Islands on a white board before that game) and yet - how does he let this important moment not have a plan ?

3 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

While in Qatar- was in a food court and shared a table with his family ( wife, kids, brother)- day after the Belgium game

Said to the table then and still feel the same, that SV should have taken the penalty. Upthread there are several highlights on spot kicks or free kicks where he buries them too

Herdman seems so prepared for everything ( huge PowerPoint's to prep players, lots of we "studied film" and while watching the Canada Soccer series in advance of Qatar- every detail was managed......everything had a plan ( like a clean sheet and 11 goals v Cayman Islands on a white board before that game) and yet - how does he let this important moment not have a plan ?

There was a plan. The plan was for the players to decide. I’m sure Herdman’s meticulous control freak data driven brotherhood  etc etc everything everyone mentioned led to his decision to leave it to players. Rightly or wrongly.