Steven Vitória

Yohan

2 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I love that Vitoria is in our squad for Qatar because we are going to need him

A bit of more details may get this post vivid enough:

I love that Vitoria is in our squad for Qatar because we are going to need him on:

1 leadership 

2 aero defensive/offensive

3 dictation in box

In all three gruelling 90 mins.

sorry if this edit was not you like.

15 minutes ago, lamptern said:

A bit of more details may get this post vivid enough:

I love that Vitoria is in our squad for Qatar because we are going to need him on:

1 leadership 

2 aero defensive/offensive

3 dictation in box

In all three gruelling 90 mins.

sorry if this edit was not you like.

Well obviously for all 3 of those things but just his energy too is another thing that I really love

5 hours ago, Weng said:

I think Vitoria should be one of our penalty takers for sure.  When he was at his previous club there was a period he took the penalties.   It’s either David or Vitoria for me.

yea.. we will probably need them both and Larin for the penalties in the quarter finals.

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

If all of our expected starters are on the pitch, and let's include Larin, who takes a penalty should Canada be awarded one?

It’s definitely an interesting question. We actually haven’t had that many penalties over the last few years considering the number of games we’ve played. Since 2020:

• Davies vs Cayman Islands ✔️ 
  • Hoilett vs Aruba ✔️ 
  • David vs Suriname ✔️ 
  • Larin vs Haiti (GC) ✔️ 
  • Hoilett vs Haiti (GC) ✔️ 
  • Larin vs Honduras ✔️ 
  • Davies vs Curaçao (NL) ✔️ 

If we go to career stats, and these should be taken with a massive grain of salt because I pulled what I could from Transfermarkt:

Ugbo 6/6 (100%)

Davies 2/2 (100%)

Hutchinson 2/2 (100%)

Borjan 1/1? (100%)

Vitoria 13/15 (87%)

David 9/12 (75%)

Cavallini 7/11 (64%)

Hoilett 5/9 (56%)

Larin 2/5 (40%)

Osorio 0/1 (0%)

Wotherspoon 0/1? (0%)

No data or 0/0 - Adekugbe, Buchanan, Cornelius, Eustaquio, Fraser, Johnston, Kaye, Koné, Laryea, Millar, Miller, Pantemis, Piette, St. Claire, Waterman

All things considered, I would probably go:

1. Vitoria 

2. David

3. Davies

4. Hutchinson

5. Whoever wants one. Probably one of Ugbo, Larin, Tajon, or Eustaquio. 

Edited by footballfreak

1 minute ago, The Real Marc said:

Sure have. I can take being someone's back up plan, though leading Portugal in Toronto was a pretty jerk move. Glad to see he outgrew it :)

:) 

I hope this doesn't rehash some old wounds for you or anyone else, but when I put everything in perspective, and consider where he is now and where he was, the U-20 WC was very much small potatoes in the grande scheme of things, even with us being the hosts. Obviously in a perfect world he never would have played for Portugal, and I am sure you (and everyone else) would agree, but on balance it has worked out for Canada.

Vitoria's story may have a blemish as far as some are concerned, but for me it is a happy ending for the Red and White, and perhaps a cautionary tale that all is not lost when a player suits up for another youth team. 

Generally agree that being a back-up plan is a fact of life for a country like us and not something to disqualify anyone over.

We've been as good for his career as he has been for our progression. At least he didn't wait til the clock struck twelve on his career, like Ferreira. Mostly, I think it speaks to our lack of depth in defending.

But not gonna lie, watching some of those CSA short videos an old-timer like me takes his story and feelings a little less seriously. Because we all know who he was pretending to play for in that Toronto backyard! ;) :P 

Edited by The Real Marc

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This guys has been quietly and consistently playing very well for club and country.  He has become a pretty huge part of our team. 

As an aside, it is interesting to go back and re-read the first page of this thread.  Needless to say, I suspect some people have come around on him.  

Several pages into this thread there are people in posts from April 2015 advising the mods to lock up the thread as he will never play for Canada while also indicating that Cavallini will never come back and Hoilett will never play for us. Oh how the times changed…

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Several pages into this thread there are people in posts from April 2015 advising the mods to lock up the thread as he will never play for Canada while also indicating that Cavallini will never come back and Hoilett will never play for us. Oh how the times changed…

Emotional, knee-jerk reactions from fans still the same though :D