Steven Vitória

Yohan

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The tabloids in Portugal claim:

1)

The muscular problem (relapse) that kept him out of the squad last weekend will keep him out of the Moreirense squad tomorrow. It's almost certain that he will not play.

2)

He has been called to the #CanMNT despite his injury.

---

My own speculation is that he won't be healthy in time for the Costa Rica match but Herdman and his team feel like he could play a role vs Jamaica or Panama.

That scenario would leave us without Vitória, Henry and Adekugbe vs Costa Rica.

The only other player I can see playing in the middle for Canada is Joel Waterman and he's only played there a couple times for Montreal and hasn't gotten a cap yet.

Wonder what Herdman will do.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

The only other player I can see playing in the middle for Canada is Joel Waterman and he's only played there a couple times for Montreal and hasn't gotten a cap yet.

Wonder what Herdman will do.

Wouldnt we go with cornelius and kennedy? Cornelius have a really good run of form in Greece. 

10 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Wouldnt we go with cornelius and kennedy? Cornelius have a really good run of form in Greece. 

Definitely an option, but in a back three (if Herdman runs this) off the top of my head I only remember Vitoria and Henry playing in the center. Has Cornelius played there before? I thought he plays on the left rotating with Miller and Kennedy.

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Really enlightening and from his perspective you understand a lot more of his mindset. No calls to the U17 level (also mind you this is pre-TFC so it can't be MLS bias or anything) and the only time the CSA approached him was once Portugal called him up after only three months with Porto. I could see why he was not really interested in Canada after the resources Portugal began investing into him.

They don't get too much into the mid 2010s but from the sounds of it (and this seems to be sort of recurring when it comes to Cavallini and Hoilett) many of these guys were simply not convinced or impressed by whatever project the CSA was putting out at the time.

I think it is easy to tell players that "oh you need to play for the shirt and representing Canada is important nothing else matters" without knowing everything that goes into that. It's easy for us to yell at players for not committing earlier or sacrificing to fly across the ocean and play for us without realizing maybe it was a really shitty and negative environment the players would be joining at every camp.

De Ro's book is very in depth on him talking about how shitty the CSA was when he was in his prime and how national team camps were often pretty brutal and not enjoyable (your prize for being POTY was a gift card ffs). All the players today talk about what a fun time it is and Vitoria even said he liked the project in 2017 but it is now even so much better after Herdman came in.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know if anyone else agrees, but Canada really missed Steven’s height during this window, their back line  looked really small and not the same in my opinion.

I don't think it was necessarily because of Vitoria. They were fine against Jamaica. I don't get why they put Atiba back there when you have an in form Cornelius as an option.

8 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know if anyone else agrees, but Canada really missed Steven’s height during this window, their back line  looked really small and not the same in my opinion.

Agree, neither of the goals in Central America possibly would have happened, SV would have headed those balls away in all likelihood!

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

It's more than his height. He reads the plays well and just helps nip these kind of attacks in the bud.

14 minutes ago, MCa said:

Kennedy?

No, Vitoria.  At LCB, Kamal has done a good job rotating with Kennedy, and Cornelius is waiting in the wings, and they all have somewhat similar characteristics.  At RCB we have Doneil, who is ok but very different from Vitoria, and then... ...Atiba?

11 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

This seemed to be their biggest issue defending. The struggled off of defending set piece/ corner kicks.

Most of their offense came off quick counters and I felt they struggled when they had a set piece or corner kick.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

My conspiracy theory is that Vitoria's injury is worse than they are letting on.

Lol, I don't subscribe to this because we would have heard something from the club or the Portuguese tabloids.

58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

My issue is if the guy was hurt why didn't Herdman just call up another CB.

Agreed. I think he hoped Vitória would be ready but he was quite there. Herdman was naive not to bring in another CB.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

My issue is if the guy was hurt why didn't Herdman just call up another CB.

33 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed. I think he hoped Vitória would be ready but he was quite there. Herdman was naive not to bring in another CB.

Herdman did call another CB in. He just didn't use him.

48 minutes ago, RS said:

Herdman did call another CB in. He just didn't use him.

Well, he actually called in two injured RCB's and three very healthy LCB's.  And then when (predictably) he didn't have an RCB who could play, he chose to put a 39 year old midfielder there...

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

Well, he actually called in two injured RCB's and three very healthy LCB's.  And then when (predictably) he didn't have an RCB who could play, he chose to put a 39 year old midfielder there...

Are you saying Cornelius is hurt? I thought he was healthy?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Are you saying Cornelius is hurt? I thought he was healthy?

Cornelius is perfectly fine I think.  But he plays LCB, which makes him a dime a dozen on this team, and when you add in the fact that Herdman seems to have forgotten he's on the roster, it's very hard to know just how healthy he is, or whether he actually even exists.

Consensus: Cornelius should have played in our back line vs. Panama. Atiba could have sat or started in the middle. We would have done just as well with Miller instead of Tajon, a pure winger with a striker like Cav, or Igbo, who can use his head, good combo.

It was really rather simple, and then Herdman would have just a few more key pieces really on board and in the mix. 

Manage your damn roster, coach. That includes being careful with the older guys, who we need to have replacements for and in the right mindset to step in. It also means not pulling these dumbass Brym-Kone moves, which are capricious and plant seeds of doubt into a squad led to believe that their club play does mean something for NT merits.