Steven Vitória

Yohan

31 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I just don't think any of this matters when it comes to a crucial moment at the world cup.

As for the bolded, the final scene in Inglorious Basterds where Brad Pitt shoots the nazi, and Cristoph Waltz tells him "you'll be shot for this!!!" and Pitt is like "nah, I'll get chewed out. I been chewed out before it's fine". That's Davies. Yeah, Herdman can yell his head off in the locker room, but hey, it's a small price to pay for the chance of world cup glory.

I dont think that is who davies is. Hes a level headed kid who cares deeply for canada and went wild with support for the CMNT while he was injured. I havent seen any examples of him having the type of attitude you are suggesting? 

You make a good point about glory and intense moments, but I think your imposing a general attitude about glory onto davies which is not accurate. He hasnt demonstrated that hes willing to push his teammates down to elevate himself before.

16 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think that is who davies is. Hes a level headed kid who cares deeply for canada and went wild with support for the CMNT while he was injured. I havent seen any examples of him having the type of attitude you are suggesting? 

You make a good point about glory and intense moments, but I think your imposing a general attitude about glory onto davies which is not accurate. He hasnt demonstrated that hes willing to push his teammates down to elevate himself before.

We're talking about the single biggest moment in his entire career. Kids dream about the moment you step up to the dot at a world cup game against an unbeatable opponent with a chance to go up and shock the world. Show me a single player on the NT- hell- show me a single player who plays organized soccer- who has not dreamed of that exact moment.

This isn't even about having an inflated ego or being selfish- I don't blame him whatsoever. He was convinced he could make the shot, he had an opportunity to make the greatest play in Canadian sports since at least Crosby's 2010 gold medal winner, you pass up that moment, and it may never come again.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

This isn't even about having an inflated ego or being selfish- I don't blame him whatsoever. He was convinced he could make the shot, he had an opportunity to make the greatest play in Canadian sports since at least Crosby's 2010 gold medal winner, you pass up that moment, and it may never come again.

But what if the guys standing next to you has a better chance of hitting the shot??  Are you really thinking about yourself or should you be thinking about the team??  Maybe in practice they run drills and he is the best penalty taker on the team....but i dont think so.  

Lewandowski missed a penalty too.  It happens.  So did Harry Kane in much more important circumstances.  It would have been awesome if he scored but I think we're all attaching too much significance to the fact that Davies took it.  If he scored, which players do what, like, 80% of the time, then this discussion doesn't happen.  I think it's time to move off this.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

But what if the guys standing next to you has a better chance of hitting the shot??  Are you really thinking about yourself or should you be thinking about the team??  Maybe in practice they run drills and he is the best penalty taker on the team....but i dont think so.  

I don't think the probability significantly increases from one player to another, especially when we're talking about elite professional players attempting the easiest shot in maybe all of sports.

Like @RJBis saying, Davies should've hit that shot, statistically, he had an incredibly high chance of converting the PK. He didn't miss because he can't hit a PK, he missed because he had a poor attempt, which happens. Harry Kane's missed penalty was exponentially worse than Davies', but if Harry Kane was Canadian, we would probably be fine if he took 100% of the PKs he was available for.

16 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

We're talking about the single biggest moment in his entire career. Kids dream about the moment you step up to the dot at a world cup game against an unbeatable opponent with a chance to go up and shock the world. Show me a single player on the NT- hell- show me a single player who plays organized soccer- who has not dreamed of that exact moment.

This logic applies to every single player on the field. David is feeling that emotion just as much as Davies. Why can we assume that david has the restraint to support a teammate taking this moment, but we assume that davies would not be able to control his emotions. Theres nothing in davies character to suggest he puts his teammates down for his own gain.

I think you are mixing up 2 arguments here. 

1.I am not being critical of davies taking it or not. I am supportive of davies having the confidence to do it. Given the fact that there was no predetermined order by herdman, I loved that davies was willing to put himself on the line for our team. 
2.The argument I am making is that I dont think davies would rip the ball out of a teammates hands if the entire teams preperation was for another player to take the PK. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

This logic applies to every single player on the field. David is feeling that emotion just as much as Davies. Why can we assume that david has the restraint to support a teammate taking this moment, but we assume that davies would not be able to control his emotions

That's because:

On 1/18/2023 at 10:57 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I think if David had the ball in his hands when the ref called the PK, he would've taken it with no argument from his teammates.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

That's because:

I think youre still talking on the assumption of not having a predetermined PK taker. Thats not the point i am trying to make.

Also, I think youve contradicted yourself. You were saying that davies would be willing to be chewed out by herdman by overriding the predetermined pk taker list in a previous post. But your also saying that if David had the ball in his hands, that davies wouldnt argue him for it. 

26 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think youre still talking on the assumption of not having a predetermined PK taker. Thats not the point i am trying to make.

Also, I think youve contradicted yourself. You were saying that davies would be willing to be chewed out by herdman by overriding the predetermined pk taker list in a previous post. But your also saying that if David had the ball in his hands, that davies wouldnt argue him for it. 

He had the ball in his hands so he took the shot. If he didn’t have the ball in his hands, I don’t think he would’ve taken the shot. I’m not actually sure what we are arguing anymore to be quite honest

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He had the ball in his hands so he took the shot. If he didn’t have the ball in his hands, I don’t think he would’ve taken the shot. I’m not actually sure what we are arguing anymore to be quite honest

I'll try to articulate my point better. 

I think that if we had a predetermined PK taker that was not davies, then davies would not steal the PK away from them, regardless of any emotions going on during the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

“John, why choose the first game of the World Cup to try Davies as keeper?”

”Well, my philosophy is to leave it up to the players.  It ultimately didn’t work out given the horrific scoreline, but before the game he was clearly feeling it. I wanted someone to step up and show the confidence needed.”

* not an actual interview. 

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, it’s a good thing Herdman left it up to the players….

Quite part out-loud:

Phonzie and his handlers have the CSA by the balls. Otherwise we'd be playing the world's best left-back, at left-back, and someone who actually takes penalties would have taken that penalty.

Edited by A_Gagne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...