WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well.  If we are going to get just 5 points from this window, holding Jamaica to 1 at home (keep some faint hope alive for them) and then beating Panama would def be the preferred option.  

You're overthinking this. Last night we tied the 9th ranked team in the world in their own barn. Play to win and let the other teams worry about the incidentals.

5 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Cracks already started to appear with Jamaica as it looks like Antonio may hang up his boots. 

https://www.claretandhugh.info/mikeys-international-almost-certainly-at-its-end/

The source does have good contacts within West Ham but also pots lots of BS so we should take it with a grain of salt  

It only makes sense.

He must be pissed off quite honestly and choosing to represent Jamaica was a poor choice. He could have been in the England squad if he just waited a little longer and he surely knows that and regrets it.

21 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You're overthinking this. Last night we tied the 9th ranked team in the world in their own barn. Play to win and let the other teams worry about the incidentals.

After last night's lineup and performance we are most definitely going for a win in Kingston

23 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I am not advocating a specific approach against Jamaica - just noting my (fairly strong) preference for how we would obtain the 5 points if that was all we got out of this window.   

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It only makes sense.

He must be pissed off quite honestly and choosing to represent Jamaica was a poor choice. He could have been in the England squad if he just waited a little longer and he surely knows that and regrets it.

🤫 

We're literally telling every teenager in the world to immediately sign up long term for Canada asap

We're in a fantastic spot. We've earned points in both away matches so far, against the 2 highest ranked countries in the region. Amazing.

We don't have Buchanan, Laryea, or Vitoria available for this one due to card accumulation, but the silver lining is they'll be fresh for Wednesday night against Panama and they'll have a clean slate once again.

I can't believe 7 points are actually in play for this window. 5 would be terrific, but 7 would be incredible. I have my sights set on a double-digit point total heading into November. 💪 😀

Edited by jtpc

Not sure anyone has singled out Eustaquio's performance last night, but aside from one very uncharacteristic giveaway, I thought he was brilliant. Having smart guys like Oso and Eustaquio on this side is massive for us. Stephen has incredible stamina, great vision and excellent technique. And he's still growing. Compare how he played in this match versus our game versus the Mexicans in the Gold Cup. He did not get caught in possession, he linked well, moved the ball very quickly, had several incredible one touch passes, and his delivery on set pieces was near perfect. The entire midfield played well, with some unnecessary mistakes that can be cleaned up, but Eustaquio is the general we need in the middle. I cannot believe how fortunate we are to have him!!

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not sure anyone has singled out Eustaquio's performance last night, but aside from one very uncharacteristic giveaway, I thought he was brilliant. Having smart guys like Oso and Eustaquio on this side is massive for us. Stephen has incredible stamina, great vision and excellent technique. And he's still growing. Compare how he played in this match versus our game versus the Mexicans in the Gold Cup. He did not get caught in possession, he linked well, moved the ball very quickly, had several incredible one touch passes, and his delivery on set pieces was near perfect. The entire midfield played well, with some unnecessary mistakes that can be cleaned up, but Eustaquio is the general we need in the middle. I cannot believe how fortunate we are to have him!!

Set pieces were much (better after the first one.).  Wonder if the altitude did things on the first.   

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

Set pieces were much (better after the first one.).  Wonder if the altitude did things on the first.   

Out of the many many many wonderful things Eustaquio does, his corner deliveries haven't been all that impressive. Maybe the altitude helped him clear the first defender at the near post in this one 😅

I am thinking something like this for Jamaica away.  

It is fairly defensive with both Adekugbe and ZBG primarily defensive players but who can both get forward in attack up the wings.  The three at the back pretty much pick themselves, though you could make an argument for Adekugbe back there instead of Millar.  And Eustaquio offers solid coverage in front of the back 3 to round out the defensive core.   That should give us a solid platform at the back because at the end of the day, if we don’t concede in Jamaica it will ultimately be a positive result (win or draw - though I am def aiming at the former).  

In attack I am less sure.  Some guys may need some rotation.  I would like to have Miller in there somewhere but in the outside wing role he probably doesn’t provide the same defensive solidity as Ade, and I am not sure where he would slot in more centrally.   The way David played last game it almost warrants consideration of whether or not to start someone else up top, but as much as I like the other guys it is hard to justify playing Shaffelburg or Miller out of position rather than one of our star strikers.  Hopefully David will do better paired with Hoilett.  

Kaye and Oso are just familiar and have such a good partnership with Eustaquio that I would probably give the the start if they are both ready to go.  

The big absence is Davies.  I am going on the assumption that we have some sort of agreement with Bayern that he won’t start 3 games in a window.  That is the only reason I can think of why he left before the last game in Sept and yet was immediately training with BM and started their next game.  If he is going to sit one, it is this one - otherwise slot him in for Ade.  

Despite a couple of absences, I think that lineup gets the job done in Kingston.  

69D6E0A9-6BE2-448B-A16C-89A3D7EF90B6.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

53 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Costa Rican officiating crew. Keylor Herrera....

Thanks.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/keylor-herrera/profil/schiedsrichter/7609/plus/0?funktion=1&saison_id=2021&wettbewerb_id=

He was the ref down in Panama for Independiente vs Forge, the ref who gave Babouli the red card.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am thinking something like this for Jamaica away.  

It is fairly defensive with both Adekugbe and ZBG primarily defensive players but who can both get forward in attack up the wings.  The three at the back pretty much pick themselves, though you could make an argument for Adekugbe back there instead of Millar.  And Eustaquio offers solid coverage in front of the back 3 to round out the defensive core.   That should give us a solid platform at the back because at the end of the day, if we don’t concede in Jamaica it will ultimately be a positive result (win or draw - though I am def aiming at the former).  

In attack I am less sure.  Some guys may need some rotation.  I would like to have Miller in there somewhere but in the outside wing role he probably doesn’t provide the same defensive solidity as Ade, and I am not sure where he would slot in more centrally.   The way David played last game it almost warrants consideration of whether or not to start someone else up top, but as much as I like the other guys it is hard to justify playing Shaffelburg or Miller out of position rather than one of our star strikers.  Hopefully David will do better paired with Hoilett.  

Kaye and Oso are just familiar and have such a good partnership with Eustaquio that I would probably give the the start if they are both ready to go.  

The big absence is Davies.  I am going on the assumption that we have some sort of agreement with Bayern that he won’t start 3 games in a window.  That is the only reason I can think of why he left before the last game in Sept and yet was immediately training with BM and started their next game.  If he is going to sit one, it is this one - otherwise slot him in for Ade.  

Despite a couple of absences, I think that lineup gets the job done in Kingston.  

69D6E0A9-6BE2-448B-A16C-89A3D7EF90B6.jpeg

I like this lineup and think we will see something like this because of suspension and rotation, I kind of think Wotherspoon starts for Osorio or Kaye, Millar if he doesn't start probably plays a significant role, Fraser or Piette maybe go into the midfield! The wildcard here is how much the altitude and intense match took out of these players listed to start on short recovery!

I wonder if we will see Cornelius for Kamal Miller the same way we saw Kennedy start the middle game last month.  Perhaps a second half substitution like we saw between Kamal and Kennedy in the games last month instead.

Edited by Corazon

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I wonder if we will see Cornelius for Kamal Miller the same way we saw Kennedy start the middle game last month.  Perhaps a second half substitution like we saw between Kamal and Kennedy in the games last month instead.

I have never been a fan of Cornelius but he does serve a purpose for this team, as a depth piece. If Herdman does choose to give him a run out in this match, I am ok with it all in the name of squad rotation and preservation for Wednesday night. 

Depending on whether or not we need him in the left outside position further up (due to sitting Davies), I wonder about Adekugbe rather than Cornelius if we are looking to sit Millar for a game.   I am hopeful that Cornelius continues to grow into a quality CB that can anchor or defence in future years, but I am not sure I would want to see him thrown into the Jamaica game.  

10 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

I seriously doubt there is any such agreement.

While there may not be anything formal, common sense will come into play.I also think with this middle game squad rotation will play a part of it. Well there will have to be some due to suspension, injury etc. Jamaica is depleted squad and Canada can certainly get the 3 points down there. 

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe.  But it was odd that he was annoyed not to play in the last game, and then immediately started playing when he returned to Germany.   

There was something odd about how that played out. It was reported that he had returned to Germany before he actually did. As you mentioned he did seem annoyed that he would not play and reaffirmed his committed to the team and was looking forward to the October games, however you were suppose to take that. I did briefly speak to Herdman after training the day before the El Salvador match and said at the time Phonzie was still in Canada at the moment and was dealing with a few things, Does make you wonder if Bayern was at least nudging him in one direction, who knows? 

Edited by Cblake

I suspect it had to do with his injury not being as bad as they originally thought, but who knows.  My take was that Herdman and the physio were concerned he'd hurt his knee, but it turns out the injury was not significant at all.  

I've a feeling we'll see Davies in each of the next two matches. Perhaps not for 180 minutes, mind you.