WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 5
Jamaica vs Canada
Sunday, Oct 10th 2021
6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific
Independence Park, Kingston (
Empty Stadium)
Online Broadcast: ONESoccer
TV Broadcast: Telus Channel 980, Sportsnet 360 & Sportsnet ONE (
EN) , RDS (FR)

Referee: Keylor Herrera (He was the ref down in Panama for Independiente vs Forge, the ref who gave Babouli the red card)

Canada Squad:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAoW5ZPXoAky1rH?format=jpg&name=small

Canadian players that were in the original in the squad but that won't play due to fitness/injury/illness:
Cavallini
Hutchinson
Larin
Borjan

Buchanan, Laryea & Vitória are suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Adekugbe
Kaye
Eustáquio

---

Original Jamaica squad for this window:
https://twitter.com/jff_football/status/1443623586552496129

Updated Jamaican squad:
https://twitter.com/jff_football/status/1446171515070951424

Centre-back Damion Lowe is suspended due to yellow card accumulation for Jamaica.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Crepeau 

Johnston - Henry - Miller 

ZBG - Piette - Eustaquio - Davies 

Hoilett

David - Millar 

I think it’s tough to not start Osorio after his performance today but I think he’s better to be fully rested for BMO Field. I also think one of Tajon / Davies / David also has to be rested. 

Edited by Atlantic

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

So do we need to call in reinforcements?

3 guys out due to 2 yellows and 2 guys coming back in. 

Is Cavallini ready to join the team?

Crépeau
Pantemis
St. Clair

Adekugbe
Brault-Guillard
Brym
Cornelius
David
Davies
Eustáquio
Fraser
Henry
Hoilett
Johnston
Kaye
Millar
Miller
Osorio
Piette
Shaffelburg
Wotherspoon

Have I gotten it right? This is the squad that can play? So we can include two more guys?

Despite our stringent anti-COVID protocols, I'd feel better with a full 23-man squad instead of simply having 21 guys.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Crépeau
Pantemis
St. Clair

Adekugbe
Brault-Guillard
Brym
Cornelius
David
Davies
Eustáquio
Fraser
Henry
Hoilett
Johnston
Kaye
Millar
Miller
Osorio
Piette
Shaffelburg
Wotherspoon

Have I gotten it right? This is the squad that can play? So we can include two more guys?

Despite our stringent anti-COVID protocols, I'd feel better with a full 23-man squad instead of simply having 21 guys.

I think I would call a CB and a forward. Just for cover

25 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Crepeau 

Johnston - Henry - Miller 

ZBG - Piette - Eustaquio - Davies 

Hoilett

David - Millar 

I think it’s tough to not start Osorio after his performance today but I think he’s better to be fully rested for BMO Field. I also think one of Tajon / Davies / David also has to be rested. 

Tajon suspended so we rest him. We need Davies to play 90 all three games imo and David needs to start. Maybe Larin or Cav healthy by the Wednesday game to start. 

52 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Anyone else going to a Thanksgiving dinner and going to attempt to avoid results on this one for multiple hours? 😆

This reminds me of Thanksgiving Dinner at my grandparents in 1992 when this happened, we were running to the den and back to the table all though it. I am sure it will be the same scenario for many come Sunday (  :

Back to square one. Nothing is done yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jamaica will want to redress errors and with a win they are back into the fight, they are far from out yet.

I hope the coaching staff has them properly scouted--against Mexico, if you believe the Mexican analysts, we did a clinical analysis of them and exploited it (esp that Herrera and Guardado are too slow and undynamic in the middle and we took advantage). Must be hard to prep for a rival with so many changes. 

Think it is going to be Crepeau / Johnston-Henry-Miller-Sam / Piette-Kaye-Osorio / Millar-Junior-Davies

Not sure how that lines up maybe Millar plays more mid and Davies up higher. Or reverse. Or Davies right side (!!!). I don't like to change too much of a team from game to game, it is always good to have repeats in every line. I could also see Wotherspoon for either Kaye or Oso, probably the former as Oso, as Oso had less defensive work last night, he might be fresher.

We have a very bad habit. Scored against first by rivals and having to come back, vs. US and Mexico at GC, vs. Honduras and US, now Mexico. We have only gotten ahead first vs. El Salvador and Costa Rica, referring to stronger Octo rivals recently seen. We have to score first and not be forced to come back like this, it means extra effort for the players, and we could pay for that with three matches in a row.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We have a very bad habit. Scored against first by rivals and having to come back, vs. US and Mexico at GC, vs. Honduras and US, now Mexico. We have only gotten ahead first vs. El Salvador and Costa Rica, referring to stronger Octo rivals recently seen. We have to score first and not be forced to come back like this, it means extra effort for the players, and we could pay for that with three matches in a row.

Excellent point on the playing from behind.  The part I like seeing from it though is the quick response.  We aren’t capitalizing with 2 minutes left.  We tend to get the goal back within 10-15 minutes.  However it’s not something we all like to see happening this frequently.

As for Sunday’s game (aside from breaking the news to my mom that the kick off is at 6, so have that turkey ready for 5:00!) getting 3 points here is massive obviously.  I said let’s dress our best against Mexico and it was worth it.  Not just because of the point, but the message it sent throughout the roster that the gold cup wasn’t a fluke and we can compete with these guys.  If we had sat a lot of regulars it would have been a bad message even if we had gotten proper rest or avoided suspensions, not to mention we likely lose.  Let’s see what our depth can do.

Jamaica is reeling here.  Can be had for sure.  No fans either (unless that has been changed, not sure).  I’m sure the pitch will be terrible so this will be a grinding out type affair.  Getting an early goal, thus bringing it back to your getting the first goal point and not playing from behind, is crucial in this one 

Edited by EJsens1

UNOFFICIAL FIFA WORLD RANKINGS 

After Match Day 4

Teams                 Points       Rank
Mexico                1660.62    9
United States   1650.19    11
Costa Rica         1437.02   44
Canada               1421.80    51
Jamaica             1395.29   61
El Salvador       1373.21    63
Honduras          1378.19    65
Panama              1346.45   72

Canada is only 2.7 points from attaining FIFA World Rank #50.

MATCH DAY 5 - FIFA Points Result

GAME                     Current Pts                       Expected      W               D                    L

Match Day 5 Oct 10 Jamaica 1395.29 25 47.46% 13.14 0.64 (11.86)
    Canada 1421.80 25 52.54% 11.86 (0.64) (13.14)

Mexico 1660.62 25 75.08% 6.23 (6.27) (18.77)
    Honduras 1373.21 25 24.92% 18.77 6.27 (6.23)

Costa Rica 1437.02 25 55.62% 11.09 (1.41) (13.91)
    El Salvador 1378.19 25 44.38% 13.91 1.41 (11.09)

Panama 1346.45 25 23.76% 19.06 6.56 (5.94)
    United States 1650.19 25 76.24% 5.94 (6.56) (19.06)