WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I suspect it had to do with his injury not being as bad as they originally thought, but who knows.  My take was that Herdman and the physio were concerned he'd hurt his knee, but it turns out the injury was not significant at all.  

I've a feeling we'll see Davies in each of the next two matches. Perhaps not for 180 minutes, mind you.

I highly doubt he will go the full 180 with more of it coming on Wednesday in Toronto. I think once they get down to Jamaica and figure out exactly what they want to due with the roster based on availability and all, Phonzie's role in this game will be determined, does he start or come in for the final 30, we shall see. 

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/keylor-herrera/profil/schiedsrichter/7609/plus/0?funktion=1&saison_id=2021&wettbewerb_id=

He was the ref down in Panama for Independiente vs Forge, the ref who gave Babouli the red card.

Has that card been upheld? Did they appeal it? 

I thought after seeing that sequence that the ref would realize he'd been taken. And at this level you can't be taken. Though I don't think Jamaica will give us such gamesmanship. 

I assume we’ll get some reports from training today about available bodies. Hoping some reinforcements like one of  Hutchinson, Larin or Cavallini make a surprise appearance, on top of Hoilett and Wotherspoon.

I was really impressed with the subs who came in last game.  I found it actually gave us a push back after Mexico raised their game.  I don’t think they hemmed us in with chance after chance, but you could see Canada was running out of gas.  Adekugbe, Fraser and Millar all looked good.  

This game had the potential to really send us on our way points wise.  3 points here would be a statement 

12 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I assume we’ll get some reports from training today about available bodies. Hoping some reinforcements like one of  Hutchinson, Larin or Cavallini make a surprise appearance, on top of Hoilett and Wotherspoon.

I was really impressed with the subs who came in last game.  I found it actually gave us a push back after Mexico raised their game.  I don’t think they hemmed us in with chance after chance, but you could see Canada was running out of gas.  Adekugbe, Fraser and Millar all looked good.  

This game had the potential to really send us on our way points wise.  3 points here would be a statement 

Cavallini is still in Vancouver and not ready to play.

57 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me, it is both.  Hoilett leads the line (with David potentially in support depending on how he recovers) and we call in Tesho for backup.  The latter would depend on whether or not Herdman has been working on a bit of secret sauce with guys like Shaff or Miller playing as a pure attacker.  

I think it would be the perfect time to give Shaff  a run out, he can really move up on the attack. As we all know his has really stepped up with TFC recently and Canada could benefit from his confidence. I am sure Herdman has seen what Perez has, this kid can play. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Has that card been upheld? Did they appeal it? 

I thought after seeing that sequence that the ref would realize he'd been taken. And at this level you can't be taken. Though I don't think Jamaica will give us such gamesmanship. 

As bad as it was there apparently is no appeal process in this competition, that ref should be banned not handed an important World Cup Qualifying match!

Assuming no Larin, I think you have to go with a front 3 of Davies, David, and Hoilet and work under the assumption that this front 3 can score a couple goals and then get Davies off the field as soon as you can if you believe you have the game under control so that he is ready again for Panama.  David can play the whole game if needed assuming Larin is ready to go for Panama.  Plus Buchanon will be back for Panama as well.

The yellows could be forcing some squad rotation that could have been in the cards anyways.

Edited by AvroArrow

Certainly some interesting lineup decisions for sure. I don’t imagines Davies will start. I do think one of the impressive things about this group is they adapt to change quickly. Whomever fills in for the players whose out does his job. 

I suspect It will be 4-4-2 again that can shift to another system. I can see

adekugbe.     Miller.    Henry.   Johnston

millar.     Kaye.     Fraser.     Wotherspoon 

Hoillett.    Brym

to start. I think brym was really good against Mexico when he came on. I can see them giving him the start to lead the line. I also wonder would they give Cornelius a start

Jamaica recruited a crop of British-based players to bolster its World Cup qualifying efforts. The question now, Can it quickly mold them into a team. This Red List thing has certainly thrown a wrench into their plans. This is a team for the taking. Canada needs to pounce on it, go for even more than the two goals the US put on them the other night. 

Edited by Cblake

4 minutes ago, top cheese said:

adekugbe.     Miller.    Henry.   Johnston

millar.     Kaye.     Fraser.     Wotherspoon 

Hoillett.    Brym

Agree with most. I am thinking Herdman goes slightly more offensive.  Jamaica has some issues at the back.  Also didn’t think Brym was more than adequate in his brief run out.

could see a 4-3-3

maybe Cornelius for Miller

maybe Piette for Fraser

front 3 of Millar. Hoilett and Shaff.

5 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Agree with most. I am thinking Herdman goes slightly more offensive.  Jamaica has some issues at the back.  Also didn’t think Brym was more than adequate in his brief run out.

could see a 4-3-3

maybe Cornelius for Miller

maybe Piette for Fraser

front 3 of Millar. Hoilett and Shaff.

Herdman seems to like setting up his team so he can slide systems. Fluidly. 

I think they’re more confident in Fraser at this point the Piette. Would love to see shaff get a start

People talking Brym, even as a starter, when we asked Akindele to cover in a pinch at the Gold Cup--that is simply insulting. 

You can't put in a guy who does not deserve minutes. And when he plays, he shows he does not deserve them. 

He was poor in Olympic qualifying. Cornelius was good, Pantemis did his job and only had a few foibles, Godinho was very solid. Tajon and in fact Ballou. Those were the good players in OQ. While his OQ was not solid, right now Theo Bair is even better than Brym but of course, it is only because Brym is completely irrelevant for his club and Theo is totally relevant that you can even get him in this window.

He came on the other day and trotted, he did not even sprint in pressuring up high, his pace was the same as many who'd already gone 80 minutes. Even Piette would have done even better as CF. Such indolence can't be rewarded. 

Imagine being any of those guys who were not subbed on watching Brym get a run-out at Azteca. That is bad for team cohesion. I appreciate sometimes you call in a young talent and it works but it has to make some sense. The other day Luis Enrique vs. Italy in the Nations League semis started Gavi, who is 17 and has 4 pro matches. But the kid was marvellous and handled it fully, amazing talent. This is not one of those cases. If Dias had a few Sporting first team minutes in the league, or Corbeanu was seeing minutes with Wolves, no question, throw them on. But Brym?

Herdman comes out with his "logical" criteria about who has given to Canada, and then blows it by giving a guy recently signed in Dutch second tier, with no pedigree, no goals and no decent minutes. He says it is because he is part of the programme, but the reasoning is poor and then the guy does nothing to deserve the chance. That undermines the principles you are establishing when deciding who puts the shirt on. He then basically insults Ennin, saying he has 5 pro games (he has 2 years pro), and does not award Tesho for his loyalty to take the call for the GC.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People talking Brym, even as a starter, when we asked Akindele to cover in a pinch at the Gold Cup--that is simply insulting. 

You can't put in a guy who does not deserve minutes. And when he plays, he shows he does not deserve them. 

He was poor in Olympic qualifying. Cornelius was good, Pantemis did his job and only had a few foibles, Godinho was very solid. Tajon and in fact Ballou. Those were the good players in OQ. While his OQ was not solid, right now Theo Bair is even better than Brym but of course, it is only because Brym is completely irrelevant for his club and Theo is not in Norway that you can even get him in this window.

He came on the other day and trotted, he did not even sprint in pressuring up high, his pace was the same as many who'd already gone 80 minutes. Even Piette would have done even better as CF. Such indolence can't be rewarded. 

Imagine being any of those guys who were not subbed on watching Brym get a run-out at Azteca. That is bad for team cohesion. I appreciate sometimes you call in a young talent and it works but it has to make some sense. The other day Luis Enrique vs. Italy in the Nations League semis started Gavi, who is 17 and has 4 pro matches. But the kid was marvellous and handled it fully, amazing talent. This is not one of those cases. If Dias had a few Sporting first team minutes in the league, or Corbeanu was seeing minutes with Wolves, no question, throw them on. But Brym?

Herdman comes out with his "logical" criteria about who has given to Canada, and then blows it by giving a guy recently signed in Dutch second tier, with no pedigree, no goals and no decent minutes. He says it is because he is part of the programme, but the reasoning is poor and then the guy does nothing to deserve the chance. That undermines the principles you are establishing when deciding who puts the shirt on. He then basically insults Ennin, saying he has 5 pro games (he has 2 years pro), and does not award Tesho for his loyalty to take the call for the GC.

I don’t disagree.  Brym’s inclusion was a head scratcher to start with, and then to see him subbed on in Mexico was doubly confusing.  If you want someone to harass defenders, press high against tired legs, and just generally work hard as hell for the last 10 or 15 minutes, I guarantee a guy like Shaff would have covered twice the ground in the same amount of time on the field.  And I am also in the camp that thinks Tesho should be here to give us an experienced option given his loyalty and his ability to do a job for us - even if it isn’t generally flashy.  

Herdman got a ton right the other night, but I am still a puzzled by that one.  And it isn’t even like Brym is touted to be the next big striker.  Ahead of him are both David and Akinola (longer term)  and will be around for the next decade.  I guess you could argue that Herdman may want to integrate guys like Bair and Brym over the next couple of years to ensure a solid pool of strikers if no one else materializes out of Jebbison, Ennin, etc, but away at Azteca in WCQ doesn’t seem like the right time or place. 

Bryn'

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was poor in Olympic qualifying. Cornelius was good, Pantemis did his job and only had a few foibles, Godinho was very solid. Tajon and in fact Ballou. Those were the good players in OQ. While his OQ was not solid, right now Theo Bair is even better than Brym but of course, it is only because Brym is completely irrelevant for his club and Theo is totally relevant that you can even get him in this window.

Brym's call up made no sense agreed. I also noticed he was jogging and not really pressing with the intensity needed in the 10 minutes.

I will say the few times he got on the ball he did well.  Showed good composure, found the right guy and played around Mexico. So that was positive and maybe why Herdman put him in. 

7 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

With regards to Brym I am just trusting Herdman at this point. He has built this team mentality to a special place. For what he wants to do it seems Brym fits in. Might be as simply as wanting to get another look at him. 

Or maybe he brought in Brym the way he brought in Payton and Pasher, Played Pasher one game and then left him off the 60 man squad. Maybe the Mexico game was simply rope that he handed to Brym and said rustle me a calf or hang yourself with it. We all agree Brym hanged himself. Let's see if Herdman agrees.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

Or maybe he brought in Brym the way he brought in Payton and Pasher, Played Pasher one game and then left him off the 60 man squad. Maybe the Mexico game was simply rope that he handed to Brym and said rustle me a calf or hang yourself with it. We all agree Brym hanged himself. Let's see if Herdman agrees.

In his limited time I thought Brym looked big and fast. Wasn't much to go on with 5 minutes plus stoppage that he saw though.

Not sure we can take much from it other then in a vital game that was tied he brought Brym on. He could of brought on someone like Piette to solidify things and just have Tajon up top chasing down the defence. This isn't like a GC game or when you are up big and the pressure is smaller. This was a tense environment with everything on the line. 

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with your points, but I’ve seen you say this a few times and I think this is just how he runs.  Dunfield mentioned on the broadcast his run looks like a deer and I think that’s how he looks at full speed.

Edited by trc2014