World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

Spare a thought to any supporter who was taking the VIA train from Montreal or Cornwall to the game tonight.  There was a major derailment and unless they left on the 6 am train, they won’t arrive in time for tonight.  A friend of mine is now heading back home to Montreal on a bus.  What a waste!

Yes, this time it certainly feels different, and yes, I am trying to be optimistic, but 37 years of supporting the men’s national team has prepared me for the inevitable heartbreak. I can see Canada coming out of the first three games with anywhere from two to four points and being virtually eliminated in a week’s time. Prove me wrong, boys!

I also have to confess that if Canada doesn’t qualify for Qatar, the blame resides solely on me. I don’t have a religious bone in my body, but at the start of the women’s shootout against Sweden, I said a silent prayer to God/Buddha/Allah/Superman that if the women won the shootout, it was OK if the men didn’t qualify for Qatar. I don’t think we can ask the Higher Powers to help us out twice in such a short time. Or can we?! 

Godspeed to all. Let’s all enjoy this journey together.

7 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

I don’t think we can ask the Higher Powers to help us out twice in such a short time. Or can we?!

God gives you free will, prayerful thoughts can never hurt. 

That reminded of what I thought was one of the best definitions of prayer I can think of and when I went back to watch this scene I can't believe how serendipitous and analogous this scene was to the journey we are about to undertake, baby steps to the goal.  BTW this is a helluva movie and one of those few a guy can watch and enjoy with your SO.  Cued to a bit before the quote about prayer.