Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

Just caught the highlights from the match vs. Atlanta. Looked very good on the three goals he was involved with.  Hope to see him get some minutes over this last window!  Not to get ahead of ourselves, but it feels like we are starting to develop some good young depth now.  I still feel a guy like Priso will develop into an excellent player, and now Petrasso is looking encouraging.  And that's just a few of the guys who seem to be joining a list of other young turks, some of whom have yet to declare for Canada.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The fact that 2 Belgium  teams didn't sign him means assessing talent is not as easy as we think. See RB Salzburg re David

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/cf-montreal-sign-midfielder-ismael-kone 

In this article it mentions he was on trial just before the pandemic. As a June 02 birthday, I believe he would have been 17 still, am I wrong in thinking that would be the reason?

7 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/cf-montreal-sign-midfielder-ismael-kone 

In this article it mentions he was on trial just before the pandemic. As a June 02 birthday, I believe he would have been 17 still, am I wrong in thinking that would be the reason?

That's a good shout. He doesn't seem to have a Euro passport so he would have had to wait until his 18th Birthday to move abroad.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

The fact that 2 Belgium  teams didn't sign him means assessing talent is not as easy as we think. See RB Salzburg re David

In general I think talent evaluation is more of a crap shoot than we realize.

There are so many examples of players “falling through the cracks” early only to bloom late thereafter. It’s not just Canada (happens all over the world) and it’s not even just soccer (Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team). Moments make careers and I believe those who succeed do so because they got a chance and took it.

I like using the example of Bryan Rochez, the failed young DP at Orlando in 2015, and Cyle Larin, who came in as a 1st round draft pick and took his chance. Had it been Rochez and not Larin who took his chance, we could be looking at two very different career trajectories for both players.

David is another example. He came on as a late sub on his pro debut and scored, then he did the same thing the next game, then repeated it again, then he was offered a contract extension. All of that happened in basically a handful of games, but it’s not as if he was the starter at Gent, he was just an 18 year old kid who was brought up from the reserves. Yes he had talent, but everyone playing pro soccer has talent.

I believe it was the hot start combined with the belief it gave him that saw David maximize his talent and then take to the next level. Many kids don’t score on their debut and so they don’t grow that believe.

Then, some kids don’t even get the chance despite being talented. I remember playing in U15 and U17 national championships and being impressed with so many players and it always stuck with me how many won’t be picked for the youth national team, because you can’t select everyone.

Case in point: Kone almost went to the CPL, where things would have undoubtedly played out differently (and not for the better). Same player, just different timeline, if you know what I mean. The margins are thin when it comes to this topic.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

47 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

He’s with a good agency (Axia). Once he’s ready to make the leap to Europe I’m pretty confident he will land somewhere best for his development. 

If he is with Axia, one of the clubs was likely Peter Reynder's KAA Genk (same club that David went to). 

Edited by Pottsy3
oops I didn't actually read the article, I see that it mentioned the clubs were Genk and Mouscron.

Did he break a record with CANMNT?  I figure he must've.  He has like what, 6 pro games under his belt before being called into CANMNT?  Pretty impressive.

I love his composure on the field and I loved his interviews, he seems very grounded and mature, the only two thing that concern me are how fast it's all happened for him and his Instagram handle (holllywood something something - That doesn't sound very grounded).

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Did he break a record with CANMNT?  I figure he must've.  He has like what, 6 pro games under his belt before being called into CANMNT?  Pretty impressive.

I love his composure on the field and I loved his interviews, he seems very grounded and mature, the only two thing that concern me are how fast it's all happened for him and his Instagram handle (holllywood something something - That doesn't sound very grounded).

No one beats Jamie Peters 

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

Pretty sure Larin got his first cap when he was still a college player

On 3/22/2022 at 7:06 PM, Snowcrash said:

If he continues to progress, a rich man's Michael Bradley. He's already better than Bradley at the same age.

I don’t know. My memory of vintage Bradley is fuzzy but feel like that’s not the profile. Bradley hasn’t weighted a single ball into space in his career as well as the one Kone played last week. 

I’d say someone like Moussa Sissoko. Progressive ball carrier. Plays box-to-box.