Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

16 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Tbf a starting 11 of Bair, Buchanan, Tabla, Baldisimo, Fraser, Paton, ZBG, Cornelius, Sturing, Gutierrez and St Clair would be filled with a good amount of professional experience. Potentially the most we’ve ever had at Olympic Qualifiers 

These guys all have more pro experience and are physically more mature but one reason to pick or even start Dias or even JMR is positional fit.  I like this lineup but I just don't know if it has enough teeth going forward.  I like Fraser, Priso and Okello, have heard good things about Paton and obviously love Baldisimo's passing range.  Shome is a decent option with a lot of experience too.  But they are all DMs or at best CMs with limited abilities to make true gamebreaking plays in the final 3rd.  Dias or JMR could provide that x-factor to create real opportunities for Bair and whoever else plays up front.  I'm not sure if any of our other midfielders provide that same capacity 

5 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

These guys all have more pro experience and are physically more mature but one reason to pick or even start Dias or even JMR is positional fit.  I like this lineup but I just don't know if it has enough teeth going forward.  I like Fraser, Priso and Okello, have heard good things about Paton and obviously love Baldisimo's passing range.  Shome is a decent option with a lot of experience too.  But they are all DMs or at best CMs with limited abilities to make true gamebreaking plays in the final 3rd.  Dias or JMR could provide that x-factor to create real opportunities for Bair and whoever else plays up front.  I'm not sure if any of our other midfielders provide that same capacity 

100% agreed. I personally believe that high potential players like JMR, Dias and Nelson have a place in the starting 11. I was just pointing out that we are not in fact lacking a lot of professional experience on this squad despite what some posters think.

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

Just want to clear some items on this thread.

Lucas was born in Toronto, grew up in Woodbridge and made a name for himself at Sporting's Toronto Academy who at the time was being headed by another (unrelated) Dias who played several seasons in Liga NOS. 

He's always been on Canada's radar, and TFCs for that matter during Dichio's amateur scouting days. He denied their academy at 10 in lieu of knowing full well he was going to be Sporting's Toronto academy's first import to their main academy in Lisbon and sure enough by 11 he was requested to join the main academy. 

He's been/being groomed to be a 10 the same way Bruno at ManU was. He's the real deal. He has played u-16 for Portugal at various unsanctioned friendlies. He's played in multiple international tournaments against u-14/u-16/u-17 and now u-23 with Sporting against other academies like Barcelona, Tottenham, etc. Even winning a u-16 tournament with Sporting and being named top player at the age of 14. 

He isn't at the 1st team with Sporting and it's quite simple. If anyone knows anything about Portuguese soccer, the top three clubs play players based on their transfer values. They sign players for cheap, and make these massive buyout clauses. Then they just spam minutes for these players and evidently these players begin to produce and showcase talent. Some are the real deal like Bruno Fernandes and Joao Felix and deserve the price tag others don't (like Renato Sanches at the time). 

Anyways Sporting has 2-3 guys they need to sell before they can give him an opportunity as a 19 year old in the 10 role. They are quite deep at that position. I would not be surprised if we see Dias loaned to a smaller 1st Division team in Portugal to get 1st team minutes in the near future.

I should note that he was asked to join the Canadian team that went to world cup in Brazil but was injured/recovering at the time. 

Here's a documentary that was made about him during his early days at Sporting. Lucas' dad in this documentary is my cousin/godfather, who was also born in Canada. 

I am elated to see him put on the red jersey. I will say I was being a tad selfish hoping he would choose Canada over Portugal. Rest assured ill try to persuade him to keep those colours if he does continue to rise up the ranks, but that Portugal squad does look enticing haha.

Also for any podcast folks trying to pronounce his name. Just simply say Lucas like you would phonetically in English. You also pronounce our last name as "Dee-as" not "Die-as" unless you speak Portuguese then it's "Dee-uh-s"

Happy to share additional info, but I'll let him do most of the talking on the pitch. He will be going to Mexico on Wed and he's excited.

He does have instagram if people also want to follow him - it's lucasdias.89

- Jason

Awesome love the insight, didn’t know he was asked to go to the WC and that he would have even gone. 

I think we can all Understand why he would don the Portugal red (however unlikely given just how good that team is atm) but he if gets there amazing for him. Hopefully he sticks with us, we’re happy to have him and can’t wait to see him.

didn’t know he turned down TFC but part of an amazing 2003 crop from that area. Not surprised how the big teams work, and I’m sure he gets that loan in the fall. Lots of talk that he’s due for pro minutes, he’s still 17 no ? 

would he accept a senior call ? It’s probably not far away. Is he friends with that Flores guy 😂😂 

welcome to the boards

15 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Awesome love the insight, didn’t know he was asked to go to the WC and that he would have even gone. 

I think we can all Understand why he would don the Portugal red (however unlikely given just how good that team is atm) but he if gets there amazing for him. Hopefully he sticks with us, we’re happy to have him and can’t wait to see him.

didn’t know he turned down TFC but part of an amazing 2003 crop from that area. Not surprised how the big teams work, and I’m sure he gets that loan in the fall. Lots of talk that he’s due for pro minutes, he’s still 17 no ? 

would he accept a senior call ? It’s probably not far away. Is he friends with that Flores guy 😂😂 

welcome to the boards

He just turned 18. January birthday. 

No idea about Flores friendship lol but I know he's a good friend of Corbeanu haha

Excited to have him strut his stuff in Mexico. 

Thanks, have been a silent board watcher for quite some time, always enjoyed the banter that goes on here 😝

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

He just turned 18. January birthday. 

No idea about Flores friendship lol but I know he's a good friend of Corbeanu haha

Excited to have him strut his stuff in Mexico. 

Thanks, have been a silent board watcher for quite some time, always enjoyed the banter that goes on here 😝

Ahh so we have Corbeanu to thank for getting him aboard I see😂😂 crazy how these kids grew up together, and they friendship they formed and it’s like wow here they are trying to go to the Olympics with their child hood teammates and friends. I truly hope the relish the moment. I for one can’t wait to see what they can do, the good old GTA boys leading the way.

i have said this before and this is further proof, getting him in our roster was huge because is he as that level and is pretty much a wonder kid. Portugal didn’t just invite him to take a look, this is someone they don’t want to lose. This isn’t hey let’s invite him In case he ends up hood (UsA) this is a well no we think you’re good enough to play for us.

It’s a bit worrying that he was invited to Portugal’s camp and prefers them at the moment. Now that he’s going to presumably play for our youth team in an official match, he’ll have to file a one-time switch if he wants to play for Portugal at any point. So even if he plays for a youth team of theres, he’ll be gone forever.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

It’s a bit worrying that he was invited to Portugal’s camp and prefers them at the moment. Now that he’s going to presumably play for our youth team in an official match, he’ll have to file a one-time switch if he wants to play for Portugal at any point. So even if he plays for a youth team of theres, he’ll be gone forever.

I don’t think he will file a one time switch to play for their youth team. He may feel Portuguese but he’s also realistic, he’s going to know that getting into that lineup is going to be dam near impossible at the senior level, he’s going to have to fight Bruno of all people. Not saying he can’t do it, but that’s a fucking high bar for anyone and it will make a lot of people think twice. He may love Portugal and be Portuguese, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any ties to Canada either, he does. 

for him to file that switch period heres what has to happen:

he hates his time with us, he doesn’t like the senior men’s team camp/coach (he’s going to go to one soon mark my words)

he doesn’t think we will produce much talent and that our players aren’t that goods and that we can’t qualify for the WC. (He’s very very close with Corbeanu, you’d better believe he told him how good Rutty is)

he goes through a meteoric rise, (possible) where he’s a sporting starter next year or a top flight starter and he wows.

he passes every kid ahead of him

He’s definitely good, and I’m sure his uncle could weigh in. But not to knock him, he’s being watched by the program, but there’s still a reason he hasn’t featured in more camps and been on more Portugal teams. 

im not saying he will never be good enough, but it’s not now that he makes that call. Unless he’s got bad advice or just really wants to don that sweater, I don’t think he makes that switch for the youth team.

43 minutes ago, One American said:

Canada have 6 significant prospects in the attacking midfield/wing spots: Rutty, Assi, Corbeanu, Flores, Dias, and Pepple. 

If Canada can go 2-2-2, it will be in great shape going forward. 

(Two Champions League/Big 4/5 contributors; 2 guys a step down; 2 journeymen/bust-ish types)

Too much attacking talent on the pitch, needs a water carrier of sorts to balance the XI.

Liam Millar is of course the obvious choice to play Makelele to the Canadian galacticos ;)

2 hours ago, One American said:

Canada have 6 significant prospects in the attacking midfield/wing spots: Rutty, Assi, Corbeanu, Flores, Dias, and Pepple. 

If Canada can go 2-2-2, it will be in great shape going forward. 

(Two Champions League/Big 4/5 contributors; 2 guys a step down; 2 journeymen/bust-ish types)

You’re forgetting Nelson, Colyn, Habibullah and TBF WK.