Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

10 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Interesting note that I've just become aware of. Lucas' old Sporting Toronto Academy director Pedro Dias (not related) is now with the Whitecaps, as the technical director of their London academy. 

Sporting has linked up with Vancouver in the past in loaning players. 

*Cough* #10 *cough* #10 

20 minutes ago, Reign said:

Anyone speak Portuguese that can translate out any info we didn’t know ?

He asked him about his early life, aspirations and work ethic. 

Asked him what his goal was with Sporting, which he responded that he'd like to be with the 1st team as early as next season.

He was asked about playing for Canada and Portugal and which one he desired. He said it's an honour to play for both nations and likes the fact that he can still choose either or, and while he would prefer Portugal because of the caliber of talent they have and the history of playing in European tournaments, he mentioned that people (viewers) should not discount Canada as a football nation as there is a lot of emerging talent and promise with the team and that it is an exciting environment that he is looking forward to be a part of (referencing the qualifying tournament)

27 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

He asked him about his early life, aspirations and work ethic. 

Asked him what his goal was with Sporting, which he responded that he'd like to be with the 1st team as early as next season.

He was asked about playing for Canada and Portugal and which one he desired. He said it's an honour to play for both nations and likes the fact that he can still choose either or, and while he would prefer Portugal because of the caliber of talent they have and the history of playing in European tournaments, he mentioned that people (viewers) should not discount Canada as a football nation as there is a lot of emerging talent and promise with the team and that it is an exciting environment that he is looking forward to be a part of (referencing the qualifying tournament)

Is he out of quarantine yet ?

like his honesty, I think that when we qualify he won’t want to switch, will be truly a special moment, and it will be nice for him to really see just how good our young guys are, and we don’t have everyone.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, Reign said:

Anyone speak Portuguese that can translate out any info we didn’t know ?

I was impressed.  He comes across as a very mature young man!    I guess one would have to be if you left home as an 11 old to follow your dreams.  And for something you didn't know:  he briefly mentioned that his Portuguese wasn't very good when he first moved over to Portugal. I would say that was very Canadian of him!   ; )

• 2 weeks later...

He’s about 10 pounds of muscle away from embarrassing men in Liga Nos, skill is evident but I’ve noticed he isn’t too solid and very raw strength wise. I can only imagine his speed at 20 and how hard he will be to get the ball from. 

FYI he reminds me of Habibullah who has similar knocks if you can call it that.

I think they’re taking it slow with Dias which is fair. He’s 18 and has never played professional / 1st team minutes. He’s still playing 25 minutes per match and getting a chance to show his stuff. If this experience turns him off from Canada soccer in a Hargreaves type scenario that’s a bit ridiculous.

They are wasting his talent. He’s the most offensive midfield talent we have and they bring them in at the 70 minute mark each game. It’s stupidity at its best! Plus don’t you think Portugal’s not watching this. The kid has been playing against men for one the past six months or more in Portugal. He’s game ready he should start against Mexico. 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

They are wasting his talent. He’s the most offensive midfield talent we have and they bring them in at the 70 minute mark each game. It’s stupidity at its best! Plus don’t you think Portugal’s not watching this. The kid has been playing against men for one the past six months or more in Portugal. He’s game ready he should start against Mexico. 

I agree with everything except the last part - he hasn’t been playing against men. U23 you are a man, but you’re not a man yet. 

But more so to the point of why he should be playing! 

I don’t blame him if he leaves because of the stupidity and bullshit that’s going on with the coaching at this tourney. He’s been a joke. Plus Millar and others not there ? I’m sorry would it be better for Millar to be with the U23 team battling it out 90 minutes each game being a huge difference maker and leader. I’m sorry I don’t get the thinking here? 15 minutes versus Bermuda’s B/C team or 90 mins vs A very good Honduras Mexico US team

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I agree with everything except the last part - he hasn’t been playing against men. U23 you are a man, but you’re not a man yet. 

But more so to the point of why he should be playing! 

He’s been playing with the U23 team for Sporting for a while now. 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t blame him if he leaves because of the stupidity and bullshit that’s going on with the coaching at this tourney. He’s been a joke. Plus Millar and others not there ? I’m sorry would it be better for Millar to be with the U23 team battling it out 90 minutes each game being a huge difference maker and leader. I’m sorry I don’t get the thinking here? 15 minutes versus Bermuda’s B/C team or 90 mins vs A very good Honduras Mexico US team

You forget that Charlton played on March 20. 

5 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

You forget that Charlton played on March 20. 

Yes vs ACF Wimbledon the 2nd last place team and he only played 68 mins. Now he got 2 Assists because he’s playing amazing. But can he would be playing against tougher opposition in this Tournament  and he would be put in a leadership role and he one of main guys. Pressure would be on him Which would be good

Edited by SpecialK