Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Does Stefan starting and scoring on Red Star warrant a call up?

I would even say coming off the bench and scoring for Red Star warrants a call up to Canada, although it likely isn't enough for a Serbian call (unless it was a cynical cap tie). 

We should strike while the iron is hot and bring him in. Dangle the WC carrot in front of him now and send him a camp invite to show we aren't bluffing. If he still wants to wait on Serbia (who won't call him for WC) then it is what it is.

I say let's get this over. Invite him to our senior team for Uruguay/Qatar. If Serbia counters with their own call up, and he accepts it, we move on knowing the door would still technically open, so long as he doesn't get called to the Serbian WC roster (let's face it, that is a massive long shot), and so long as he doesn't play more than 3 official matches (Serbia has 2 NL matches in September).

If Serbia call him and he plays NL, would he need to wait 3 years to switch? I can never remember the ever-changing rules around this stuff.

8 hours ago, costarg said:

This one is crazy when you think there are only 20 at the top level in the world: Piquet, Verstappen, Rosberg, Schumacher aaaaaaannd Villeneuve.

Men:

Nathan Hirayama and his father Garry

Thyssen de Goede and both his parents, Hans and Stephanie and his sister

Women:

Sophie de Goede and both of her parents and brother

Tyson Beukeboom is the daughter of Jeff Beukeboom.  

All of these people played for Canada without a lot of thanks and zero coverage from the media inside Canada.

Beukeboom and de Goede are both off to the World Cup next month.

Edited by vancanman

8 hours ago, costarg said:

This one is crazy when you think there are only 20 at the top level in the world: Piquet, Verstappen, Rosberg, Schumacher aaaaaaannd Villeneuve.

All my F1 knowledge comes from the Netflix series but this video was how I learned Max Verstappen's father used to race lol

If we call in Stefan, in 1 week his father Ivan will have negotiated with the CSA 8 tickets each player for Qatar, plus travel and lodging. 

And then the players will fire the lawyer and Ivan will go to work on the WC bonuses, which will be any % Mark Anthony Kaye says should be. And tax exempt like in Serbia. 

Everyone will be happy except Davies's charities.

And Janine Beckie. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Absolutely yes. 

I watched him play, and I think he deserves a call up, but I’m still finding it hard to determine what level the kid is at, the teams they’re playing don’t look very strong. I think a move to Belgium or Turkey would tell you a lot about him.

4 minutes ago, ronjames said:

Hope you were able to convince your friend to go to the game. If not, just go by yourself. 

Enjoy :)

No dice on that- my haters (friend didn't want to go and work scheduled an all hands meeting around kickoff time since I work on EST) prevented that. I am getting myself a nice Red Star jersey to take home as consolation though.

I can't be the only nerd grinning from ear to ear when reading that. 

Really sounds like we have a chance here. Notable omission from his statement was any comment about Serbia calling him up, which bodes well for us. If he said something like "I am currently playing for the U-21s and the senior team staff have been in contact with me about a call", I would be worried. For all I know though they have been and he just failed to mention it, or maybe they will get in touch the closer Canada gets to calling him. You never know with these things.

Either way, seems like 50-50 at the moment. CSA would be foolish not to call him in. If he wants to come and train without making a one-time switch, I think we have to allow it. Let him see our group up close and give him a taste. Give him the confidence there's a WC spot for him if he wants it.

If Mitrovic wants to play for Serbia after all of that, nobody can say Canada never tried. 

Just now, El Hombre said:

I guess this is a good glass half full/empty question because to me this sounds a lot like him trying to force Serbia's hand to bring him into the senior team.

I thought of that afterwards.

At first glance I didn't get that vibe at all, but it's also text on a screen, and I could just be blinded by optimism. 

If we take the cynical view and say that's what he's doing, Serbia would still need to bite. Will they bother to cap him this close to world cup just over this little bit of pressure? I don't know the Serbian team enough to say, but I imagine that calling him, in when they otherwise wouldn't, takes the spot from another player who would otherwise be included. That makes it iffy that Serbia bothers to calls him, at least in my mind. There is no shortage of young attacking midfielders in their youth ranks.