Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Alistair is the only player on our squad that strikes the ball with power. He needs to do that more often and good things will happen like Larin's rebound goal v Mexico at iceteca and v Belgium when he slammed one at goal. It didn't result in anything but it's the type of power striking we need more of. A spill or rebound by the keeper is what David feasts on.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Alistair is the only player on our squad that strikes the ball with power. He needs to do that more often and good things will happen like Larin's rebound goal v Mexico at iceteca and v Belgium when he slammed one at goal. It didn't result in anything but it's the type of power striking we need more of. A spill or rebound by the keeper is what David feasts on.

This might not be a bad tactic to do against a weaker goalkeeper like Livakovic 

24 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Celtic is a big team and this would obviously be a great move for Alistair. That said, other than the Rangers matches and the handful of European matches each year, wouldn't the week-to-week quality of competition be higher in MLS?

Yeah, I was much happier when he was being linked to Bologna, as a defender, I just don't feel like he'll be tested all that often at celtic

Say whatever you want about the week-to-week level of the Scottish PL, but you can't ignore the fact that Celtic probably have the largest global fanbase of any club outside of the true giants of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, and the two Milan clubs. And theirs is a properly engaged fanbase. Not full of the types of people who purport to support Real Madrid, but don't watch them weekly and would struggle to name more than the top 5 members of their squad. Playing a couple of seasons at Celtic will raise AJ's profile far more than playing for just about any club where he has a realistic shot at playing.

I like the idea of him going to Celtic just for the Champions League experience and it’s such a massive global club.  

But on the other hand 10/11 regular season games he’s going to be playing inferior or same levels of play vs MLS.  The SPL outside of the Old Firm is a step below MLS now.

if he goes to Celtic, I hope it’s only for 1 or 2 seasons.  Otherwise I’d rather him in a league like Portugal.

Every Canadian player should check their bank account in 6 months I try and tell me that featuring in the World Cup isn't an opportunity of a life time. Of course they earned it and deserve it. Im so proud of them and its great to see Canadians getting the spotlight they deserve.. but all that pettiness back during the buildup seems like absolute chump change now

Edited by SpursFlu

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

Ah right.  Fucking up De Rosario's move to Celtic.

Believe that's where Earl Cochrane cut his teeth

Fucking it up? My recollection was that DeRo went to Celtic for a trial without permission from the club, and TFC weren't keen on losing him. Therefore, Cochrane blocking the move would be considered a good thing for his employers at the time, no?

2 hours ago, frmr said:

He'd be the first-ever Canadian Celtic player. De Rosario trialed with Celtic once upon a time but it never materialized.

edit: I stand corrected, Joe Kennaway played for Celtic in the 30's.

...and Colin Miller and Jimmy Nichol played for Rangers back in the 80s long before Fraser Aird and Scott Arfield. Given the amount of migration back and forth between Scotland and Canada over the decades there will probably be plenty of other examples that flew under the radar.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

...you can't ignore the fact that Celtic probably have the largest global fanbase of any club outside of the true giants of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, and the two Milan clubs. And theirs is a properly engaged fanbase. Not full of the types of people who purport to support Real Madrid...

Ha. Nah, mate.

Celtic are extremely well attended for where they are located but to pretend they have a global fan base even close to the big boys I think you are just making up stuff because of Liverpool's ties to them.

By any measurable metric - merchandise sales, social media followers, TV viewership etc. they are on honestly on a West Ham level of global fans and not close to a world club. Chelsea, Man City, probably some Brazilian clubs for instance absolutely blow them away. 

You can disparage PSG or Real fans all you want (I love to) but if global Celtic supporters buy, follow and watch a small fraction of what those clubs bring in, any point about engagement is just anecdotal.

From 2019 when I could last find numbers for all

Big 3 social media followers 

West Ham  - over 4.5 million

Celtic - over 3 million 

Real Madrid - 223 million

Merchandise sales 

Right after the pandemic (ish, hard to get apple to apples exactly)

West Ham - about £10 million 

Celtic - about £15 milion 

PSG -  €700m 

Hard to get global numbers on TV viewship but Sky was crowing about 1.5 million viewers of an Old Firm game a few years ago.  Put that against a whole host of clubs that have better global TV deals than the SPL and the fact that they last about as long as Red Star in the Champions League, their global viewship has to be pretty small in comparison. El Classico had 75 million viewership a few years ago to compare. 

Sorry even if you quadruple Celtic's numbers because they are more "engaged" (no reason to do that against say West Ham, who aren't fashionable) their following is miniscule against world teams. 

Edit:  In fact I would guess Celtic get a fair merchandise and social media boost through unengaged cultural fans of the (ethnic) Celtic diaspora - including in Canada. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha. Nah, mate.

Celtic are extremely well attended for where they are located but to pretend they have a global fan base even close to the big boys I think you are just making up stuff because of Liverpool's ties to them.

By any measurable metric - merchandise sales, social media followers, TV viewership etc. they are on honestly on a West Ham level of global fans and not close to a world club. Chelsea, Man City, probably some Brazilian clubs for instance absolutely blow them away. 

You can disparage PSG or Real fans all you want (I love to) but if global Celtic supporters buy, follow and watch a small fraction of what those clubs bring in, any point about engagement is just anecdotal.

From 2019 when I could last find numbers for all

Big 3 social media followers 

West Ham  - over 4.5 million

Celtic - over 3 million 

Real Madrid - 223 million

Merchandise sales 

Right after the pandemic (ish, hard to get apple to apples exactly)

West Ham - about £10 million 

Celtic - about £15 milion 

PSG -  €700m 

Hard to get global numbers on TV viewship but Sky was crowing about 1.5 million viewers of an Old Firm game a few years ago.  Put that against a whole host of clubs that have better global TV deals than the SPL and the fact that they last about as long as Red Star in the Champions League, their global viewship has to be pretty small in comparison. El Classico had 75 million viewership a few years ago to compare. 

Sorry even if you quadruple Celtic's numbers because they are more "engaged" (no reason to do that against say West Ham, who aren't fashionable) their following is miniscule against world teams. 

Edit:  In fact I would guess Celtic get a fair merchandise and social media boost through unengaged cultural fans of the (ethnic) Celtic diaspora - including in Canada. 

He said a global fan base, and he's right. You are looking at merchandising, solely, as if that was the sole barometer. 

If you come to Barcelona you'll see the only people wearing Barça shirts are kids on vacation with their parents. I went to the women's Champions League last night and did not wear mine. Then you see a news report from Jakarta and you see people in them, they are all over Morocco.

You won't see Liverpool shirts either, when all stats say Liverpool is the most popular English team in Spain and by far the most popular in Catalonia. But Manchester United, PSG, Juventus, for sure. 

Celtic is a major club, with high recognition, and not just because of Liverpool, however much your jealousy or rivalry is coming out there. It'd be a great move for Johnston in terms of profile and quality of play, and as said, an excellent launching pad for a contract later into his 20s with an even higher level club.

Alistair Johnston breaks Celtic transfer silence as ambitious World Cup star shares lofty career ambition
The 24-year-old is starring for Canada at the World Cup and it's understood the Premiership champions are keen.
dailyrecord.co.uk November 25 2022

Celtic 'tracking' Canada World Cup standout star Alistair Johnston
David Irvine Sports Writer celticway.co.uk November 23 2022

Reliable journalist gives Alistair Johnston to Celtic update
Sourav Mahanty thecelticbhoys.com November 25 2022

Alistair Johnston to Celtic: 'Nothing done yet', sell-on fee, what Montreal player had to say on future
Celtic are in advanced talks to sign Montreal right-back Alistair Johnston, according to media reports in his homeland.
Mark Atkinson scotsman.com November 25 2022

Alistair Johnston perfect for Celtic as former Rangers man gives Canada World Cup star verdict
Ex Hamilton Accies boss Colin Miller says the Montreal full back can he a smash hit at Parkhead
scottishdailyexpress.co.uk November 25 2022