Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

The religious aspect of irish sectarianism is evaporating- it's always been a question of republicanism vs. unionists, but not all republicans are catholic, and not all unionists are protestant. Scotland, and especially Ireland's percentage of religious population is rapidly dropping- I believe Ireland has the fastest, or one of, growing atheist populations in the world.

Politically though, pretty much all Celtic supporters I've come across in real life or online are left wing. I think that's great, but to the poster who recommended St. Pauli as an atheist club to follow, if what you are really trying to do is find an apolitical club, brother, wait until you hear about St. Pauli's fans.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The religious aspect of irish sectarianism is evaporating- it's always been a question of republicanism vs. unionists, but not all republicans are catholic, and not all unionists are protestant. Scotland, and especially Ireland's percentage of religious population is rapidly dropping- I believe Ireland has the fastest, or one of, growing atheist populations in the world.

Politically though, pretty much all Celtic supporters I've come across in real life or online are left wing. I think that's great, but to the poster who recommended St. Pauli as an atheist club to follow, if what you are really trying to do is find an apolitical club, brother, wait until you hear about St. Pauli's fans.

I believe I said it on this thread.  Liverpool have a very close relationship with Celtic but it has nothing to do with religion. 

Football is the only religion, they say.  For a number of the English that's true.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

So far, that’s about $10M in transfer money to Montreal this year, plus whatever they get for Kone, and there’s still a chance that Miller goes somewhere. Really hope they out that money to good use.

It'll be exciting to see what other Canadians are given a chance to perform at the MLS level with this amount of turnover in Montreal.

5 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It'll be exciting to see what other Canadians are given a chance to perform at the MLS level with this amount of turnover in Montreal.

I was surprised that we let Karifa Yao go for this reason. I hope that Montreal gives Sean Rea a fair shot. If he can recreate what he’s done in the CPL with Montreal, he plays the exact type of game we’re sorely lacking. He’s only 20, and we’ve seen how Waterman has elevated his game at the MLS level, albeit at a much older age, so if he really gets going for club, I think he solves some of the issues that come with guys like Wotherspoon and Hoilett aging out.

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

So far, that’s about $10M in transfer money to Montreal this year, plus whatever they get for Kone, and there’s still a chance that Miller goes somewhere. Really hope they out that money to good use.

A percentage of that will go to MLS, as neither Mihailovic nor Johnston are homegrown players under league rules. Also, I'm fairly certain Nashville is entitled to a sell-on percentage as per the terms of the trade, and that would come out of Montreal's cut. Chicago might have a similar stipulation for Mihailovic.

Still, a decent bit of business for a Montreal side that's going to look very different next season (including the coach).

8 minutes ago, RS said:

A percentage of that will go to MLS, as neither Mihailovic nor Johnston are homegrown players under league rules. Also, I'm fairly certain Nashville is entitled to a sell-on percentage as per the terms of the trade, and that would come out of Montreal's cut. Chicago might have a similar stipulation for Mihailovic.

Still, a decent bit of business for a Montreal side that's going to look very different next season (including the coach).

Wait...Nancy is out?

14 minutes ago, RS said:

I know Nashville had a 10% but on clause for AJ, and I think Chicago has the same rate for DM. Still, $9M + Kone’s fees is a nice little war chest. I also wonder what Montreal will do with Chinoso Offor- they got him from Chicago and immediately loaned him to a club in the Belgian first division where he’s getting a few starts and scored two goals in 9 games. Would be nice to have at Montreal, but if he’s ready to stay in Europe, we can probably get something for him.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I really think Montreal should try and keep Miller, it becomes unfair to the fans to sell everyone. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I really think Montreal should try and keep Miller, it becomes unfair to the fans to sell everyone. 

If Nancy is leaving to Columbuas, which seems likely, I don't blame anyone for wanting to jump off that sinking ship.