Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

For the Cletic experts....would Johnston play?  I would hate for it to be a Lareya/NF type move, that looks good, but for whatever reason Alistar cant get himself in the lineup.  

According to the 3-4 Celtic supporters I've spoken to in the last couple of days, their Croatian RB looks to be on the move in January, so AJ would be the replacement.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

For the Cletic experts....would Johnston play?  I would hate for it to be a Lareya/NF type move, that looks good, but for whatever reason Alistar cant get himself in the lineup.  

He'd be replacing Croatia's starting RB, so I guess whether he's within his depths on Sunday. I don't think he would be an instant starter even once Juranovic is sold, as Ralston has been in the Celtic ranks since he was a youth and has been getting Scotland senior callups this year. But, when spending on an international there is a precedent of that player getting decent playing time.

19 hours ago, jonovision said:

Celtic is a big team and this would obviously be a great move for Alistair. That said, other than the Rangers matches and the handful of European matches each year, wouldn't the week-to-week quality of competition be higher in MLS?

Based on this fun little website:  https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/compare?first=MajorLeagueSoccer&second=ScottishPremiership

it looks like there would be some good games and a lot that are actually comparable to the bottom end of MLS.  Of course, there'd also be the European exposure.  I hear their Champions League is even tougher than ours.  :)

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

lmao our forum is linked there and some fans don't like some of the takes here 

Haha. To be fair, there was a positive post that used the terms "Mad Whoppers" to reference Celtic fans who have bizarre opinions about good players. I think we're going to have fun following Johnston if he transfers to Scotland. 

I was initially lukewarm on this deal, and while I’m still not totally convinced, something I forgot to account for is the change in the Champions League format in 2024/25. The “group stage” will be 8 matches moving forward instead of the usual 6. Having minimum 8 showcase matches a season (provided they qualify) mitigates the drop in league quality somewhat.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

He kind of has a shit eating grin.

Have a feeling this deal is done and he's being coy

Still, he has not done his physical and we all know that players can be rejected after a physical. Or he could be injured still in this competition, even training. 

In a rather famous (and probably erroneous) decision, Rangers were about to sign Espanyol/Spain striker Tamudo, then said he had some sort of knee problem. At that time he had 20 top flight goals, he went on to score 120 more. And 5 for Spain, one against Canada in 2005 (I was there, in Santander).

There's a reason you shut up until the deal is done, blabbing like that gets you nothing, it advances absolutely nothing. The seller wants fans to know it is getting a good payout, the buyer wants fans to know they did not pay that much and the risk was lower. Then there are tons of little details to hammer out.

If Celtic committed before the World Cup, I give them a lot of credit, an admirable bit of scouting that we'd like to see for all our NT talents.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Still, he has not done his physical and we all know that players can be rejected after a physical. Or he could be injured still in this competition, even training. 

In a rather famous (and probably erroneous) decision, Rangers were about to sign Espanyol/Spain striker Tamudo, then said he had some sort of knee problem. At that time he had 20 top flight goals, he went on to score 120 more. And 5 for Spain, one against Canada in 2005 (I was there, in Santander).

There's a reason you shut up until the deal is done, blabbing like that gets you nothing, it advances absolutely nothing. The seller wants fans to know it is getting a good payout, the buyer wants fans to know they did not pay that much and the risk was lower. Then there are tons of little details to hammer out.

If Celtic committed before the World Cup, I give them a lot of credit, an admirable bit of scouting that we'd like to see for all our NT talents.

I do find it strange that the current message is "He could be joining Celtic."

But the fact that they're in talks was leaked, so Johnston decided to address it. It would look kind of foolish, though, if the deal fell through. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King