Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, johnyb said:

In interviews, Alistair has said that his brother is much more talented then him. 

He's a senior, team captain, and has put up solid offensive numbers from the midfield. Started all 10 games this season for the Terps (7-1-2 record) and recorded 5 goals + 2 assists. I've gotta wonder if that puts him on the radar for the MLS draft.

Maryland is one of the best programs in terms of pushing out MLS players, including some recent Canadians like DSC and JRR.

image.png.51fdf69e29e551fca85e878030a604de.png

Edited by Pottsy3

55 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

He's a senior, team captain, and has put up solid offensive numbers from the midfield. Started all 10 games this season for the Terps (7-1-2 record) and recorded 5 goals + 2 assists. I've gotta wonder if that puts him on the radar for the MLS draft.

Maryland is one of the best programs in terms of pushing out MLS players, including some recent Canadians like DSC and JRR.

image.png.51fdf69e29e551fca85e878030a604de.png

He is a certainty to be drafted with his numbers but his brother will only help his case in going even higher. 

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing I'd say is that he needs to have the confidence to pass and cross with both feet. When you are in a wide wing position, you absolutely have to give yourself that option. 

Not just Johnston--tired of seeing guys with one crossing foot always having to turn onto it on the wing, and worse when they've made the move to get some space either deep or cutting in. Then squandering the move by turning back to the old reliant "good" foot.

Phonzie still does not have it, and like many "immature" players, he uses his good leg to make the big move to gain space on the defender, which means the ball is shifted boldly over to his right foot, which he then can't use except for the easiest of back passes.

Some players never learn others do. I distinctly remember how marvellously Abidal learnt at Barça, he taught himself in a few months and it was patently obvious he'd worked on it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist