Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

So far, that’s about $10M in transfer money to Montreal this year, plus whatever they get for Kone, and there’s still a chance that Miller goes somewhere. Really hope they out that money to good use.

they are also getting a little chunk of $ from FIFA for their 6 players in the World Cup.

3 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

Let's be honest here, I still think there's a large chance he may suffer a similar fate as Lareya. Lets hope he takes advantage of his opportunity.

To be fair to NF, Laryea got unlucky because they went on their run that got them promoted around the time they purchased him- hard to mess with a lineup that's working for you. Being that Celtic is already at worst the second best team in Scotland and will play in Europe, there isn't as much of a chance that Celtic's goal suddenly changes and AJ is no longer the type of player they need. They're also 11 points up from Rangers for league title. They also have their league cup, so if AJ starts out flat, he'll still get appearances there.

Celtic look like they're playing a friendly on December 10th against Rennes. I wonder if they debut him there?

I was asking my buddy who is a Celtic fan what formation they usually play, and he has said they usually play 4-2-3-1. I’m wondering how Johnston fits in there as I haven’t seen him as an outside back very often, and that would appear to be his most likely spot for playing time. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:56 AM, InglewoodJack said:

The religious aspect of irish sectarianism is evaporating- it's always been a question of republicanism vs. unionists, but not all republicans are catholic, and not all unionists are protestant. Scotland, and especially Ireland's percentage of religious population is rapidly dropping- I believe Ireland has the fastest, or one of, growing atheist populations in the world.

Politically though, pretty much all Celtic supporters I've come across in real life or online are left wing. I think that's great, but to the poster who recommended St. Pauli as an atheist club to follow, if what you are really trying to do is find an apolitical club, brother, wait until you hear about St. Pauli's fans.

Hoilett played for St. Pauli very early on. An extremely political club but certainly atheist to the core. 

40 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I was asking my buddy who is a Celtic fan what formation they usually play, and he has said they usually play 4-2-3-1. I’m wondering how Johnston fits in there as I haven’t seen him as an outside back very often, and that would appear to be his most likely spot for playing time. 

We played 4-3-3 against Costa Rica in November cycle of WCQ and again against the USA in January and morph into it in other games. Adekugbe back to left fullback with Johnston on the right  has been seen many time throughout the qualifying games at least.

Edited by Ed_S

8 hours ago, Ed_S said:

We played 4-3-3 against Costa Rica in November cycle of WCQ and again against the USA in January and morph into it in other games. Adekugbe back to left fullback with Johnston on the right  has been seen many time throughout the qualifying games at least.

For sure. Formations are very often fluid in game but I just meant generally when I think of his best moments, they have come from him as a right sided centre back. The good news is when he has pushed forward (an expectation even more likely put upon him as a right back) he has looked comfortable, and sometimes dangerous with his whipped crosses and shooting (and chipping in with the odd goal for Montreal). 

Edited by maccaliam
Spelling

8 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I don't watch a lot of MLS but my impression from highlights was he rarely played centre back for his club, almost always fullback or wingback.

There you go. I haven’t seen many of his games live with Montreal so I must be confusing his play with Canada and the highlights I’ve seen, and then misremembering him as having been in the same position. Thanks for the correction. Makes me even more confident about his switch to Celtic. 

Edited by maccaliam

6 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

There you go. I haven’t seen many of his games live with Montreal so I must be confusing his play with Canada and the highlights I’ve seen, and then misremembering him as having been in the same position. Thanks for the correction. Makes me even more confident about his switch to Celtic. 

Even Miller was mostly used as a left back by Orlando I believe.