Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Interesting that Japan doesn't think Celtic is too low a level for Daizen Maeda as they started him in their win over Germany.  Or Australia when it comes to Aaron Mooy (90 against France).  Or Croatia and Juranovic (90 against Morocco).

Interesting.

Hasen't played yet (barring injuries surprised if he does) but Carter-Vickars is in with the US.  Would be shocked if there's an outfield player with more minutes at Celtic this year. 

17 hours ago, VinceA said:

lmao our forum is linked there and some fans don't like some of the takes here 

One notable exchange, equating us with MLS fans:

Celtic Supporter #1:  

Interesting thread

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77266-alistair-johnston/page/24/

MLS fans are worse than Aussies.

Celtic Supporter #2:

Just wait till they jump on here. 

A note for any curious Celtic supporters:  Although we have three teams in MLS, that's not all we're about.  The vast majority of MLS fans are American.  Besides, what were you thinking we're worse at than Aussies, surfing?

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Interesting that Japan doesn't think Celtic is too low a level for Daizen Maeda as they started him in their win over Germany.  Or Australia when it comes to Aaron Mooy (90 against France).  Or Croatia and Juranovic (90 against Morocco).

Literally no one has said this. The only light criticisms I have seen are that some wish Johnstone would go to a better league.

Edited by Floortom

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Interesting.

No one is maligning the quality of Celtic as a club. Just pointing out that the level of the league as a whole may not be optimal from a player development standpoint. It’s a tradeoff. He gets to play with higher quality players in training and Champions League, but against weaker quality players in the league. It can certainly be argued that the former is more valuable than the latter is detrimental, but the concern isn’t totally unfounded.

Also, if we’re just cherry picking examples:

• Walker Zimmerman helped shutout England.
  • Jhegson Mendez went 90 against Netherlands
  • Xherdan Shaqiri supplied the winning assist against Cameroon
  • 5 Canada starters that rag-dolled Belgium for 45 mins were developed in MLS. 4 played in MLS in the last 12 months. 3/5 subs were MLS developed, 2/5 are active MLS players. 

Those examples don’t prove anything as to the relative quality of MLS vs Celtic/SPL of course. Just trying to point out the flaw in that logic.

Secondary also: Mooy is 32, Juranovic is 27, Daizen is 25. Johnston just turned 24. Players develop at different rates, but all three of your examples have fewer (or no) years of development left. They’re either fully baked or closer to it than Jonston. 

On 11/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, Kadenge said:

Alistair is the only player on our squad that strikes the ball with power. He needs to do that more often and good things will happen like Larin's rebound goal v Mexico at iceteca and v Belgium when he slammed one at goal. It didn't result in anything but it's the type of power striking we need more of. A spill or rebound by the keeper is what David feasts on.

Hoilett? 

Edited by PegCityCam

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

For me the lines have become increasingly blurred between MLS and non big 5 leagues in terms of quality. 

MLS has some weird salary rules that can skew things but it's a competitive league.

Most MLS teams have guys on their roster that wouldn't get a sniff in Scotland. But most, when healthy, are able to field a starting XI that would almost certainly be able to finish right behind the two powerhouses of the league.

As an example, surely Montreal has a better collection of players (at least until Johnston, Kone and Miller get shipped out) than Aberdeen or Livingston.

As for big 5, I don't think any MLS team would be competitive in EPL. Some teams might be able to hang with the bottom half in France or Germany.

Edited by jonovision

26 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Most MLS teams have guys on their roster that wouldn't get a sniff in Scotland. But most, when healthy, are able to field a starting XI that would almost certainly be able to finish right behind the two powerhouses of the league.

As an example, surely Montreal has a better collection of players (at least until Johnston, Kone and Miller get shipped out) than Aberdeen or Livingston.

As for big 5, I don't think any MLS team would be competitive in EPL. Some teams might be able to hang with the bottom half in France or Germany.

I think it's an increasingly lateral move. And the arguments for moving are almost always about the champions league...not the actual league in question. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Most MLS teams have guys on their roster that wouldn't get a sniff in Scotland.

I don’t follow either leagues closely, apart from Canadian players, but this would surprise me. At least if the reverse weren’t true as well 

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

The Celtic supporters and commenting on his full name Alistair William Johnston and talking about it's staunchness. Basically a protestant name in support of the British, more likely a Rangers player.

Fun fact, this is the first openly catholic player to ever play for Rangers (post WW1 I think): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Johnston