Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

17 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

According to TSN and Sportsnet , Cav., Kaye, and Hamel are recovering from injuries, that's why they are missing.

The only other notable omissions for me were Brault-Guillard and Tabla.

6 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

We have 1331 now. So no, its 6 points. It's also only January. We still have the official March and June windows where we could pick up 10 points each window playing teams at our ranking range.

Umm it’s 5.36 points - not 6.

good luck scheduling multiple teams in our ranking range in those windows (and winning every match too). If you think that’s a realistic road to the hex then I’m happy and sure hope it happens.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think we'll see (read on twitter) three very different lineups.  Three games in a week will do that.  I would expect something like:

Barbados 1:

Crepeau

Laryea     James   Miller     Adekugbe

Piette   Shome 

Nelson         Chapman          Borges

Ricketts

Barbados 2:

Carducci

Godinho     Didic   Cornelius     Morgan

Fraser   Tiebert  

Akindele         Osorio          Shaffleburg

Bair

And then see who performed the best and recovered the quickest for the 15th.

Makes sense to use the Barbados games to look at everyone in a competitive situation. 

16 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Umm it’s 5.36 points - not 6.

good luck scheduling multiple teams in our ranking range in those windows (and winning every match too). If you think that’s a realistic road to the hex then I’m happy and sure hope it happens.

If you take both the rounded current total and rounded final total, as the official FIFA rankings do, its 6. Either way though, you said "The truth is it’s almost impossible that we overtake El Salvador.", which, again, is false.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No, but they are playing a match against another country, but asking that it not count as a match to game the qualification process.  That is shady 

The qualification process is shady. El Salvador’s reaction to the system (and ours, 3 games in a non FIFA window must be unprecedented for us) is nothing other than rational.

I would say we called a B+ defense, which isn't bad for a January camp outside the fifa window.

Henry and Vitoria are the notable omissions, while ZBG and Cordova are also missing, but neither is a regular starter for us at the moment.

Laryea is first choice at RB. Cornelius is pretty much first choice at LCB. James should be challenging to make the RCB spot his own. Adekugbe is doing the same for the LB spot. That's a pretty decent starting backline.

Miller and Morgan are capable substitutes, Bassong is making the bench in the Belgian top flight and Didic was a standout CB in the CPL. The depth looks good.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

The qualification process is shady. El Salvador’s reaction to the system (and ours, 3 games in a non FIFA window must be unprecedented for us) is nothing other than rational.

The fact that they are allowed to play a game and classify it as a “training match/exhibition” to avoid FIFA implications is ridiculous.

Here are my two worthless bits:

• Wow - Canada is having a camp... in January... and Friendlies to boot! So why are so many whining on this forum?
  • So nice that Canada is taking on a better team in a friendly for what feels like the first time in, like, forever.  It is about time that CMNT starts challenging themselves against teams that are above them in the rankings, play a different style and are not part of CONCACAF.  It is almost as if CSA is looking beyond the next tournament for once. 
  • CMNT will beat Barbados (assuming they don't use it as a training exercise), and they can beat Iceland if they play to their potential.  
  • It is big squad, but nice to see CPL and other new faces be included.
  • Weak in midfield, but otherwise there are options at most positions.  In particular, this is a big opportunity for Crepeau. Look forward to seeing who steps up (and who falls into oblivion). 

Considering that he was retained by the management in Chicago, I'm surprised Raheem Edwards didn't another look here.  Perhaps ditto for Hamilton being back with the Crew.  With Edwards, I suppose they want to see what Shaffelberg brings; the same probably goes for Nelson ahead of Hamilton.

For those believing that De Jong or Edgar would or should be back in the NT picture based on the need positions they play, you can read into their omissions what you like.  

I'm a little disappointed that Campbell didn't get a call up for this camp.  He poached well for a weaker CanPL side and is still just 21.

Upon first glance, the squad looks weak and the reaction is understandable when you remove Davies, David, Hoilett and Cavallini from the team. No Larin either or even Millar so I get the negativity.

But let's look at who is here:

We have Ricketts, a proven veteran who you know what you'll get from him. He has 16 international goals and still good enough to play regularly in MLS, so considering we play against Barbados and an Iceland B squad I think his selection is fine. I have no problem with it.

We have Bair, who as I mentioned before is a player to get excited about. He is young ('99) and played 18 MLS games last year and scored a couple of goals. Different player than Millar, but he's the same age profile, has a similar level of pro experience at a similar level (nitpicking about SPL vs MLS aside..). Gotta be happy for him to get the call. Exactly the right time to bring him in if you ask me.

We have Akindele who is in the prime of his career and posted a nice season for Orlando scoring 10 goals. How many concacaf teams can rotate in a 10-time goal scorer who plays in MLS? It's a good chance for Tesho to prove to Herdman he deserves minutes over the younger players.

We have Schaffelburg, who burst onto the scene last year with TFC. The kid has incredible pace and played 10 games in MLS, plus some USL. Not exactly the kind of stats that earn you an automatic call (like back in 2013), so he's had to wait until a B squad was called. Now he is here and has the chance and I am not only happy for him, but I am happy we have progressed to the point we don't need to rush a player like this into the fold because we are so poor.

We have Nelson, who I don't know a great deal about to be honest. I know he's one of our brightest U17 prospects and I know he has great feet and takes people on. Generally I prefer players to have more first team experience, but Larin was playing NCAA when he got his first call and he did well too. Josh Sargent was getting calls for the USA when he was in high school and so did Jordan Morris if I am not mistaken, so if we have a prospect with star potential, let's take a look.

Not going to talk about the lad in Portugal because I really know little about him, but my final comments will be dedicated to Borges. Even though he is listed as a midfielder, I expect him to play as an attacker at some point in this camp. I am thrilled to see him and it kinda feels overdue, even though there wasn't really much room to bring him in during nations league. Really excited to see what he can do and how Herdman uses him.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We did the exact same thing with Trinidad and Tobago last year so it’s hardly shady 

I still don’t understand why we did that, potentially to save some type of fees payable to FIFA?  That was pre-Gold Cup therefore before the revised Hex process was released.  I’m sure Herdman was kicking himself about that one in the fall.

All this to say, our motivations to do this vs. those of El Salvador are different. I understand that I’m also completely biased haha.

52 minutes ago, Floortom said:

A complaint ?! On what grounds. El Salvador is under no obligation to play matches for our benefit lol

They scheduled a game as a friendly. Now they switched it to a practice game to game the qualification process. What's a practice game? Are they selling tickets and making money?

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

We should file a complaint.  With everyone aware of the qualification process this should not be allowed to happen

El Salvador is doing what they should be doing.  If we were in their position and the CSA scheduled official “risky” friendlies, then they would be stupid and naive.