Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Besides the obvious Cavallini & Kaye omissions, I actually don't mind this roster at all given who we can invite.

I wonder why Cav is unavailable?  Get his affairs in order in Mexico before making the move?  

What concerns me is that we need to get wins in these games and the group of forwards in this camp reminds me of the stretch in 2013 where we scored 1 goal in the entire year.  Obviously dramatic comparison but that was my first thought.

5 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Not a bad squad actually. Happy to see 3 games. Glad to see some of the younger euro based players called, and glad that James will final get a look.

Jayden Nelson is a bit of a weird inclusion, but if he is as talented as hoped he might step up when surrounded by more experienced players. I expected maybe a Ben Fisk as an extra winger, but going young might not be a bad idea.

I expect the majority of the roster will get some playing time with 3 games. It will be exciting to see how our depth players turn up. I think it is important not to have extremely high expectations for these games given the roster though.

But I do I have high expectations. We can not afford to lose ground on ES if we plan to make the hex and I fully expect all the players called for these games to have high expectations. It is time for the depth to show what they can do. 

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I wonder why Cav is unavailable?  Get his affairs in order in Mexico before making the move?  

What concerns me is that we need to get wins in these games and the group of forwards in this camp reminds me of the stretch in 2013 where we scored 1 goal in the entire year.  Obviously dramatic comparison but that was my first thought.

the lack of a real strong goal scorer

combined with the fact that this is a group of players that (excluding a few) has never played together.

it's definitely a bit concerning.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Looks like a weak roster. Sure we can beat a Caribbean minnow but very skeptical that we can score on a solid Iceland team with that attack

If we are actually looking to make the Hex, it might have been a mistake to organize a game with Iceland with this roster.  We can win the two Barbados games but we Have a real risk of giving those points right back.

That being said, if we believe the Hex is out of reach, this is a great camp for player and team development.

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Looks like a weak roster. Sure we can beat a Caribbean minnow but very skeptical that we can score on a solid Iceland team with that attack

That is my worry.  Two wins against Barbados (assuming we can do that) don't gain us much if we lose to an Iceland team that often punches well above its weight. 

Just now, Big_M said:

good list..obviously a lot of players unable to come..ricketts probably there to help youngsters but should be done after that..teibert chapman morgan probably getting one last shot to show something

I already have a soft spot for Ricketts, seems like a great guy.  If he somehow manages to bag a few goals, including a winner in the Iceland game, and rides off into the sunset he is Canadian Soccer royalty to me.

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

If we are actually looking to make the Hex, it might have been a mistake to organize a game with Iceland with this roster.  We can win the two Barbados games but we Have a real risk of giving those points right back.

That being said, if we believe the Hex is out of reach, this is a great camp for player and team development.

When you put it like this, I guess I am more okay with it - especially if the info/suspicion about Kaye and Cav not getting released is accurate.  The reality is that we need to roll the dice a bit to have any chance of getting enough points to overtake ES for 6th.  This set of games seems designed to start that process off so I don't think we could have asked for more from the CSA (credit where it is due).  And like you said, if we screw it up, we are not really any further behind, and we will have held a really useful camp in terms of exploring depth, integrating new guys into the senior squad, and possible capping a dual.    

5 minutes ago, Big_M said:

good list..obviously a lot of players unable to come..ricketts probably there to help youngsters but should be done after that..teibert chapman morgan probably getting one last shot to show something

This sort of situation is precisely why I am glad Ricketts is still in the fold.  Yeah, Most of his (many) goals came against minnows - but we are about to play two must-win games  against minnows.  With our full squad available, Tosaint obviously doesn't see the field.  But in a situation like this he can either be a strong experienced presence or a still-pacey sub off the bench.