Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

CSA and all Canadian soccer people need to start making this an issue if for no other reason to put it in the Central American media. That will bring light to the fact that they're running scared. People in that part of the world think we're a bunch of gringos who couldn't kick a ball in the ocean. We need to pressure them publicly and the CSA should be openly challenging them in the next windows. Fact is Alphonso Davies could beat their entire team himself. We have way more value then a team that would loose every game 5-0 filled with nobodies

Time to play the shame game. Get that 2 leg series

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I share Jtpc's pessimism but I also think it's a great chance to look at our depth and bring players through. Not sure we really needed 5 fullbacks, especially when millar has played at LB as well. But a few of them can also push forward. 

Would have liked to have seen Zanatta in place of Morgan but I understand the experience factor. Morgan is solid in that respect but up top looks bare. 

ZBG seems to have fallen off the radar a bit but maybe they wanted him back in France? Must be more at play with Cordova, he just never seems to catch a break with us. 

Ironic Telfer might have been called for this one. I think he made the right call for him though. 

Lots of potential upside in the squad and more importantly should be absolutely hunger to prove themselves, whether it's the vets who are on the periphery and might not get more chances or youngsters hoping to impress. 

Agree with the streaming disappointing but even having the type of a camp is a baby step forward. 

Very interesting roster to say the least, for a mostly domestic(North America) based roster comprised mostly of CANMLS plus 2 guys with the reserve team of one of them, 3 CANPLers and 3 guys from MLS (American teams) and 5 from Europe, including 2 that seemed to getting a kick in the reserve teams of Liga NOS & Jupiler League, respectively. Didn't know Charles Andreas-Brym was born outside Canada as a matter of fact, lol. Very happy to see Bassong get involved with the program, given that he was one of Herdamn's main targets s as I mentioned in other thread a week or so ago. Nvm, he is not playing regularly at the pro level yet, but at least let's see what he can bring, chance for coaching staff to assess properly these type of dual nationals and where they can fit in our system. It's an added bonus, he plays a position of needs and what I consider to be a major weakness for us now!

I'm sure many of these guys will be very useful for Olympic qualifying (Bassong, Brym, Bair, Okello, Nelson) and perhaps Godinho as he would be battling mostly u-23 aged players of which many do not play regular professional fútbol on a day in, day out basis, but still have my doubts as many in here prolly do, lmfao!!!!... Good as others have said, that he is given another opportunity to somewhat redeem himself at likely the sort of level he is dealing with now on a regular basis!!!

Other interesting tidbits from this squad, are that there is a little more representation from other provinces, unlike the regular ones that are predominantly Ontario players (I counted 6 from Alberta & 5 from Québec, and technically we can add Liam Fraser into BC as well, as he did some upbringing there as well as in ONT). Again, not criticizing at all the selection of players & the provinces they hail from, but just like to break down this extra bit of information from my own personal liking, lol. 18 are playing locally (Canadian clubs), with TFC leading the way with 7, Impact with 3 , Whitecaps 5 and 3 CANPL clubs represented!

Too bad that One Soccer or the Canada Soccer site is not picking up the stream!!!!... Really expect they at least put video highlights of all the matches for christ sake!!!!😡

Edited by CANMNT_SUPERFAN

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

CSA and all Canadian soccer people need to start making this an issue if for no other reason to put it in the Central American media. That will bring light to the fact that they're running scared. People in that part of the world think we're a bunch of gringos who couldn't kick a ball in the ocean. We need to pressure them publicly and the CSA should be openly challenging them in the next windows. Fact is Alphonso Davies could beat their entire team himself. We have way more value then a team that would loose every game 5-0 filled with nobodies

Time to play the shame game. Get that 2 leg series

They have no shame. That's why they always go to ground like they were shot.

43 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Very interesting roster to say the least, for a mostly domestic(North America) based roster comprised mostly of CANMLS plus 2 guys with the reserve team of one of them, 3 CANPLers and 3 guys from MLS (American teams) and 5 from Europe, including 2 that seemed to getting a kick in the reserve teams of Liga NOS & Jupiler League, respectively. Didn't know Charles Andreas-Brym was born outside Canada as a matter of fact, lol. Very happy to see Bassong get involved with the program, given that he was one of Herdamn's main targets s as I mentioned in other thread a week or so ago. Nvm, he is not playing regularly at the pro level yet, but at least let's see what he can bring, chance for coaching staff to assess properly these type of dual nationals and where they can fit in our system. It's an added bonus, he plays a position of needs and what I consider to be a major weakness for us now!

I'm sure many of these guys will be very useful for Olympic qualifying (Bassong, Brym, Bair, Okello, Nelson) and perhaps Godinho as he would be battling mostly u-23 aged players of which many do not play regular professional fútbol on a day in, day out basis, but still have my doubts as many in here prolly do, lmfao!!!!... Good as others have said, that he is given another opportunity to somewhat redeem himself at likely the sort of level he is dealing with now on a regular basis!!!

Other interesting tidbits from this squad, are that there is a little more representation from other provinces, unlike the regular ones that are predominantly Ontario players (I counted 6 from Alberta & 5 from Québec, and technically we can add Liam Fraser into BC as well, as he did some upbringing there as well as in ONT). Again, not criticizing at all the selection of players & the provinces they hail from, but just like to break down this extra bit of information from my own personal liking, lol. 18 are playing locally (Canadian clubs), with TFC leading the way with 7, Impact with 3 , Whitecaps 5 and 3 CANPL clubs represented!

Too bad that One Soccer or the Canada Soccer site is not picking up the stream!!!!... Really expect they at least put video highlights of all the matches for christ sake!!!!😡

I am quoting you but my question is for everyone:

How can they provide highlights but not provide the full game?

Clearly the highlights are snippets from the video of the full match.

Perhaps there is a reason why they can't broadcast. Fair enough, but at least provide the full match online or something. Stick it on the YouTube channel or put it on the CSA website.

Does anyone know why that cannot be done or does anyone have a good theory?

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Almost impossible = extremely unlikely. I stand by that.

who are these teams we’re going to have friendlies against in the last two windows? Qualifiers will be happening all over - our options will be quite limited. I’m very skeptical we will be able to line up big point matches AND win them all AND El Salvador doesn’t pick up any points.

Again no. There are 97 nations available during the March window.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 1.47.02 AM.png

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps there is a reason why they can't broadcast. Fair enough, but at least provide the full match online or something. Stick it on the YouTube channel or put it on the CSA website.

Things could change but it is weird since if it's at the Orange County stadium there would be broadcast capabilities.

So what are we thinking for lineups?  This is what I think.

Crepeau

Laryea.  Cornelius.  Miller.   Adekugbe.  

Piette.   Shome.    

Borges.       Osorio.      Fraser.    

Akindele.   

A bit thin up front although against Barbados I could see Osorio, Borges and Akindele rack up a bunch of goals and Ricketts will probably poach one of the bench in the 80th minute of one of the games.  

I think that’s a likely lineup with the exception that I can’t see both Shome and Fraser starting together (at least not against Iceland) and certainly not Fraser out wide. I think Fraser starts where you have Shome, and either Bair starts wide, or Akindele wide and Bair up top. Borges cutting in with Laryea pushing high out wide and Osorio supporting could create some really nice interchanges. 

Edited by shorty

I think it's tough to predict a lineup because there will be a rotation strategy considering the odd circumstances. I think the starting 11 in the first game will be based on experience and fitness. I would predict players like Ricketts, Tiebert, Osorio, Piette, Akindele etc. Just to try and get a hectic week started off with some stability. Based on how the games go you will start too see the coaching staff looking forward ultimately to the 3rd game

10 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Again no. There are 97 nations available during the March window.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 1.47.02 AM.png

With the news of them potentially playing a friendly in late may, if Canada is still in the race for 6th, I think that camp/friendlies will be in Europe in May/June. Euro just about to begin, and they can get the euro players to play, as league play in Europe usually ends the 2nd/3rd week of may. 

Every article I’m reading still thinks El Salvador can lose points against Iceland.  We need to get these writers on this board!  Ha!

Another thought I had this morning.  As these are friendlies we will most likely agree to 6 substitutions.  I imagine this makes player rotation less of an issue?  For example, we go up a few goals Barbados in game 1 we immediately take 6 starters off.

Edited by trc2014

The two games against Barbados will be at 3pm Pacific (local) and 6pm EST on both January 7th and January 10th.

Still no broadcast expected despite the fact that the stadium is a USL stadium that regularly streams games:

http://www.orangecountysoccer.com/stadium-info

The Bajan squad:

http://www.barbadosfa.com/news/?page=blogdisplay&ID=1495

honestly, lets not fixate on what El Salvador are doing (or are not), the fact is that this is an opportunity for Canada to gain 5-6 points and start closing the gap on El Salvador who have chosen to do nothing towards qualifying this month. Who knows, if Canada gains those points while El Salvador are doing nothing, it could down the line ultimately come back and bite El Salvador in the ass

19 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

honestly, lets not fixate on what El Salvador are doing (or are not), the fact is that this is an opportunity for Canada to gain 5-6 points and start closing the gap on El Salvador who have chosen to do nothing towards qualifying this month. Who knows, if Canada gains those points while El Salvador are doing nothing, it could down the line ultimately come back and bite El Salvador in the ass

Agree with this.  We need to win and start putting pressure on El Salvador.  We all know it’s a long shot to qualify for the Hex but closing the gap to 9-10 points will start to pressure them and they may need to start taking some risks.

My lineups for the game 

Barbados #1

———————Crepeau————————

Laryea——James—Cornelius—Adekugbe 

————Fraser——————Piette——— 

Shaffleburg———Osorio————Akindele

————————Ricketts———————

Barbados #2

———————Carducci————————

Godinho——Didic——Miller——Bassong

————Teibert———Okello——————

———Borges—Chapman—Shome———

————————Bair———————————

Would like to see everyone get a chance to play. Depending on how the second game is going I think Pantemis should be given a half. Obviously make the Iceland game a combination of the two. Does anyone know how many subs you get for a friendly?  That might help keep players fresh if more than normal can be subbed off.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

On 1/4/2020 at 12:06 AM, Obinna said:

Agree, I can watch my granddaughter Curl live via streaming from competitions across Ontario but our national team can't provide a stream!  Even if there was no commentary I would be happy.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

On 1/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, hamiltonfan said:

Caps didn’t want to release Cav. Really disappointed in this.

CSA requested a release for many more of the guys, clubs didn’t agree to it.

There are 26 guys in this camp, so did they want more than that?

As a side not, due to the tensions in Iran/the Middle East at the moment, the Americans cancelled their 25 man camp in Qatar. 

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Agree, I can watch my granddaughter Curl live via streaming from competitions across Ontario but our national team can't provide a stream!  Even if there was no commentary I would be happy.

Remember when I think it was Gavin Day was streaming some games with 1 camera and with little to no commentary years ago off the stadiums wi fi??  

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

As a side not, due to the tensions in Iran/the Middle East at the moment, the Americans cancelled their 25 man camp in Qatar. 

I think certain players not being released is why we see some of the stranger/surprising picks for the camp.  If CAV et al (Johnson maybe?) came then Brym, Shaffelbourg, Okello or Nelsen wouldnt be there.  Its a fine line keeping the clubs happy and getting the lineup you need so I dont mind if some vets stake a camp off so Herdman can give some younger guys a run out.  I am very curious to see what Bair, Brym or Bassong can do against Barbados.  

Edited by Bison44

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm assuming they would've kept the roster at 26, just drop some of the experimental players for Cav, Johnson Kaye etc. 

I think the roster would have been kept at 26, too.  I just got the impression from that one post that they were going to have more players there.  With that, I think Nelson would still have been brought to the camp even Cavallini and Jackson-Hamel came on board (the CSA likes that p.r. spin).

Shome is one player in particular I am excited about.

He's a '97 who is playing regularly in MLS and playing well. He never seems to let his team down. He has a high work rate and is somewhat athletic. He is not contributing much in the goal department, but keeps it simple and doesn't try and do too much. I like that he generally makes good decisions too.

Right now I see him as a more robust version of Teibert.  RT may arguably be more clean, but I have been impressed by how clean Shome was last year with the Impact.

Anyways, I think there will be competition between them because I think Shome's roll would be similar to the roll Teibert plays in the midfield.

Edited by Obinna