Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

The reality is that we may not even need to overtake ES's current point total.  We just have to get close enough to them that they can't rely on coasting to get them through.  Thus they would have to play a June friendly - with the possibility of losing points.

At this point, our job is just to take care of business in this camp, and get the points available. 

Very interesting roster.

First of all, do we know for sure that Cavallini was held back by the Whitecaps? Seems odd they'd release Bair and Ricketts but not Lucas. 

Secondly, Zator was left out but Didic once again makes camp. Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps Didic is ahead of him in the pecking order?

Thirdly, I am very happy for Shome, Schaffleburg, Borges and Bair for their first call ups. I know there are others like  Nelson and Bassong who are also new, but I single out those 4 because I believe they were either due for a senior call (Shome/Borges/Bair) or close enough to make me happy to see them included (Schaffleburg).

Edited by Obinna

Not a formation geek by any stretch, but something like this looks like a solid line up that would hopefully be able to play solid defence.  I think not conceding against Iceland would be key, and I think we could grab a goal or two against Barbados even with a fairly defensive line up. 

Crepeau

Laryea     James   Cornelius     Adekugbe

Piette   Tiebert  

Akindele         Osorio          Borges

Ricketts

Saw the lineup before I could check the forum, I was very content with the roster specially seeing Zorhan on it. Surprised to see negative reactions to the lineup tho... I agree with the worry about the lack of true goal scorer but 5-10 years ago this would’ve been an exciting roster for an actual International break friendly. Let’s all remember Iceland is sending a basically domestic lineup and will ALSO be missing their big guns.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

27 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Completely false.

image.png.5b1f83aa87cdc575ac58bef93fc8c309.png

That shows we gain 5 points if we manage to win all three matches...still 10 points behind with two windows. Even if El Salvador doesn’t schedule another match it would be tough for us to make up that ground. But El SLV could always schedule a few friendlies against minnows to pick up another few points. It is a huge uphill battle to catch them - that’s just being realistic.

Edited by Floortom

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That shows we gain 5 points if we manage to win all three matches...still 10 points behind with two windows. Even if El Salvador doesn’t schedule another match it would be tough for us to make up that ground. But El SLV could always schedule a we friendlies against minnows to pick up another few points. It is a huge uphill battle to catch them - that’s just being realistic.

If they lose to Iceland and USA it gives us a slight chance. 

A lot more new faces than I expected. I really don't mind the call ups of players like Bassong  and Brym. Sometimes this is what these kind of players need. They need this experience and exposure (if good enough). Even if it means catching the eyes of mls teams and leaving Europe, so be it. Gives a revival in their current situation.

Happy to see Borges and Shome get a deserved look. Also happy with Didic as I personally rate him a little higher than Zator in the CB position.

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That shows we gain 5 points if we manage to win all three matches...still 10 points behind with two windows. Even if El Salvador doesn’t schedule another match it would be tough for us to make up that ground. But El SLV could always schedule a few friendlies against minnows to pick up another few points. It is a huge uphill battle to catch them - that’s just being realistic.

We have 1331 now. So no, its 6 points. It's also only January. We still have the official March and June windows where we could pick up 10 points each window playing teams at our ranking range.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not a formation geek by any stretch, but something like this looks like a solid line up that would hopefully be able to play solid defence.  I think not conceding against Iceland would be key, and I think we could grab a goal or two against Barbados even with a fairly defensive line up. 

Crepeau

Laryea     James   Cornelius     Adekugbe

Piette   Tiebert  

Akindele         Osorio          Borges

Ricketts

I think we'll see (read on twitter) three very different lineups.  Three games in a week will do that.  I would expect something like:

Barbados 1:

Crepeau

Laryea     James   Miller     Adekugbe

Piette   Shome 

Nelson         Chapman          Borges

Ricketts

Barbados 2:

Carducci

Godinho     Didic   Cornelius     Morgan

Fraser   Tiebert  

Akindele         Osorio          Shaffleburg

Bair

And then see who performed the best and recovered the quickest for the 15th.

Edited by El Hombre
Switched Chapman and Osorio for balance.