Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

Have learned that this also camp includes 1-2 other friendlies against Caribbean opposition.  Looks like Herdman is going Hex or bust. Awesome IMO.

Also learned that there will be at least 2-3 new faces for their first MNT camp, including possibly a player from the U17 World Club team. The squad will apparently have a healthy dose U23 eligible players.

4 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Have learned that this also camp includes 1-2 other friendlies against Caribbean opposition.  Looks like Herdman is going Hex or bust. Awesome IMO.

Also learned that there will be at least 2-3 new faces for their first MNT camp, including possibly a player from the U17 World Club team. The squad will apparently have a healthy dose U23 eligible players.

Jaden Nelson

10 hours ago, adrenaline11 said:

The Serbian Superliga is off until Valentine's Day. The Scottish Premiership is off until Jan 22.

It's probably wishful thinking to think that we might get Borjan or Arfield but you never know.

Arfield’s playing time has been managed due to the increased travel/output on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

What?!! Crazy if true. Do Guyana or Grenada owe us friendlies from back in 2016?

Guyana will want to prep for their playoff game in March. They will fancy that they have a decent chance to make the Gold Cup.

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How many points do we lose if we lose?? Isnt it worth the risk to get a quality game in?  These guys have to eventually start beating teams ranked ahead of us like Iceland, Costa rica, Jamaica  or the points wont matter.  

And I am the only one interested in seeing how the team does with no David/Davies/Arfield/Borjan etc??  I dont mind they are gone as long as Iceland is in the same boat.  I want to see Crepeau shine and Kaye/Osorio/Piette boss the midfield.  

16400607_ScreenShot2019-12-31at1_22_58PM.png.2f2ddd963ff4b931863c17eac8beb593.png

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How many points do we lose if we lose?? Isnt it worth the risk to get a quality game in?  These guys have to eventually start beating teams ranked ahead of us like Iceland, Costa rica, Jamaica  or the points wont matter.  

And I am the only one interested in seeing how the team does with no David/Davies/Arfield/Borjan etc??  I dont mind they are gone as long as Iceland is in the same boat.  I want to see Crepeau shine and Kaye/Osorio/Piette boss the midfield.  

Isn’t that kind of the situation we faced down in “Cuba” recently? That game was ugly as hell with basically zero offence. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, soccer.shocker said:

This is great to hear! I'd also consider calling Gianfranco Facchineri, a standout CB from the U17 World Cup and Concacaf Qualifiers. From what I've seen, his play is incredibly mature. He plays in Vancouver as well, so travel wouldn't be to bad either. We need to develop our young CBs, so this would be a perfect opportunity.

50 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

This is great to hear! I'd also consider calling Gianfranco Facchineri, a standout CB from the U17 World Cup and Concacaf Qualifiers. From what I've seen, his play is incredibly mature. He plays in Vancouver as well, so travel wouldn't be to bad either. We need to develop our young CBs, so this would be a perfect opportunity.

How about we have  U17 players get professional games before calling for a CANMNT call?

14 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

How about we have  U17 players get professional games before calling for a CANMNT call?

We have our World Cup qualifications on the line and we are calling for U17, and all sorts of experimental selections. SMH

this is camp “win”, not camp poutine...fully knowing the significances i struggle to understand why the fck anyone on this board considers it anything else

2 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

2 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

We have our World Cup qualifications on the line and we are calling for U17, and all sorts of experimental selections. SMH

this is camp “win”, not camp poutine...fully knowing the significances i struggle to understand why the fck anyone on this board considers it anything else

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we replace regulars with youth players. 

I don't see any reason why calling youth players is considered harmful or controversial. For instance, during the Gold Cup pre-camp (also in LA) we called in Noah Verhoeven from Pacific as a training player. He wasn't officially on the roster and he didn't take anybody's spot on the team. He got some great experience by training with the senior team ahead of an important tournament. It would be the same circumstances for Facchineri or any other youth player that we could call.

Calling a player like him would have no downside to the team and would provide a tremendous experience for a top prospect. It doesn't harm our chances to win and doesn't downplay the significance of the camp. Just because this is "Camp win" doesn't mean that we shouldn't be integrating youth into the team.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Oh god. Johnson and Wotherspoon pulling the strings in midfield. What a waste of a game that was.

I think a midfield of Kaye, Osorio and Piette is sufficient for creating plays. Not outstanding, just sufficient. With that midfield I think we also need production from our wings if we want to score goals. Hoilett and Davies are high quality players so we get that production from them, but likely they will not play, so who do we have that can fill the void?

I feel increasingly confident that Tristan Borges is tailor made for this situation. He is already the focal point at his club and it wouldn't be surprising to me if he came into camp and had a big impact against Iceland. We can all see he is a level above everyone else in the CPL, so he could be effective at international level immediately. I think it's very possible.

He's the kind of player who wants the ball and wants to attack and he is very good at it - that's what this team lacks without Davies, David or Hoilett. 

The other wing options do not inspire confidence. I would like to see Liam Millar get selected and get a chance to start, but I expect him to be left out along with the other European-based players. Tesho Akindele has enough quality to play within the team and help the team, but if he's the main guy we are looking at to generate chances, it's gonna be a tough match for us. 

Edited by Obinna