Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

Players involved with previous camps I expect to be available:

Crepeau, Carducci, Cornelius, Miller, Edgar, Zator, Didic, Layrea, Cordova, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Johnson, Teibert, Cavallini, Akindele, Ricketts

Potentially available: Brault-guillard, Tabla

Possible new faces: Borges, Bair, Shome, Abzi, Pasquotti 

We are likely without Davies, David, Hoilett, Millar, Arfield and Vitoria. That is a huge chunk of our talent, particularly on the offensive side. How will we cope without them?

Big chance for someone like Borges or Bair to make the step up to the full national team.

Edited by Obinna

News from the CSA:

-Details about this camp to be announced Friday

-It seems almost certain that there will be no stream for this match (put that at 99% likely) :(

-For those who will be in the L.A. area and looking to attend the match, the ticket/attending situation will be confirmed by Friday. It is looking like there will be no paid tickets.

-It will be an "A" level international friendly. FIFA ranking points WILL be on the line!

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Players involved with previous camps I expect to be available:

Crepeau, Carducci, Cornelius, Miller, Edgar, Zator, Didic, Layrea, Cordova, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Johnson, Teibert, Cavallini, Akindele, Ricketts

Potentially available: Brault-guillard, Tabla

Possible new faces: Borges, Bair, Shome, Abzi, Pasquotti 

We are likely without Davies, David, Hoilett, Millar, Arfield and Vitoria. That is a huge chunk of our talent, particularly on the offensive side. How will we cope without them?

Big chance for someone like Borges or Bair to make the step up to the full national team.

Still have a potential decent lineup, with the available players:

Screenshot_20191230-112126_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d87a964991d62f1bdafb02eb8034396b.jpg

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Still have a potential decent lineup, with the available players:

Screenshot_20191230-112126_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d87a964991d62f1bdafb02eb8034396b.jpg

Forgot about Sam Adekugbe, who should be available. 

I guess Henry could go in the "Potentially Available" category too.

Decent line up but I am not very confident about the wide positions.

Akindele hasn't done much for Canada recently and Tabla is talented but unproven (if not unreliable) at the international level. 

Cavallini will be a threat, but he scored a lot of goals with Davies, David and Hoilett providing service. Unfortunately, there is a big drop off with all 3 likely unavailable, which may be tough on Lucas.

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

This is awesome, Iceland will be without its top players as well but we have more depth I believe. 

Max

Laryea Cornelius Edgar Miller

Kaye Pierre Osorio

Borges cavalinni Akindele

I like Borges as a starter. I feel his creativity is needed, even though he has yet to be capped. Akindele should be solid enough on one side, but he's fairly predictable. Borges is not and would help us to be a little more dynamic going forward.

As for depth, I am not sure we are deeper than Iceland. Our depth has improved greatly, but they have a large contingent playing regularly in Scandinavia and Northern Europe.

There is even one young midfield player who seems to be a regular with CSKA at 20 years old. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ha.... Well if there's not a better way to get ready for the Whitecaps 🤣

I thought the same thing!

There could be up to 5 other Whitecap players in the team, so jokes aside there will surely be a Vancouver-feel to the team. Teibert, Crepeau, Cornelius are very likely and Ricketts and Bair are probable in my mind.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I thought the same thing!

There could be up to 5 other Whitecap players in the team, so jokes aside there will surely be a Vancouver-feel to the team. Teibert, Crepeau, Cornelius are very likely and Ricketts and Bair are probable in my mind.

And when you mention this, i lose a little optimism. This will be a tough tough match. 

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

And when you mention this, i lose a little optimism. This will be a tough tough match. 

I think so. I want to be optimistic, but the reality is that our most creative attacking weapons will be missing.

Just snooping around the Iceland NT wikipedia page and I see that in addition to the young attacking midfielder at CSKA, they also have a 26 year old defender at the Russian club. We don't have any defenders with that pedigree on paper, but games aren't played on paper I try and remind myself.

We will still have good players from MLS that'll make it tough for them. Kaye, Piette and Osorio have with quality and chemistry and they'll be difficult for Iceland. The defense should be largely unchanged. It is just out wide that feels a little barren. 

It will be nice for Crepeau to win a cap by the way. I do feel confident with him in net.

Edited by Obinna

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I like Borges as a starter. I feel his creativity is needed, even though he has yet to be capped. Akindele should be solid enough on one side, but he's fairly predictable. Borges is not and would help us to be a little more dynamic going forward.

As for depth, I am not sure we are deeper than Iceland. Our depth has improved greatly, but they have a large contingent playing regularly in Scandinavia and Northern Europe.

There is even one young midfield player who seems to be a regular with CSKA at 20 years old. 

Won't the guys playing in Europe outside of Iceland not be available to play?

Feels odd because I was hoping for/looking forward to a big u23 camp instead. 

I had assumed the hex was pretty much a lost cause at this moment. This might be too little too late but we shall see on Friday better.

I like most other people have been complaining about the lack of friendlies so I cant sit here and contradictorarily whine about it lol.

I hope a bigger picture and plan will be announced on Friday for what herdman and the CSAs vision is for this year and 2022 qualifying/Olympics. 

Is there a chance of a giant combined U23/full team camp? Makes sense for integration. Cost is likely prohibitive.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I see that in addition to the young attacking midfielder at CSKA, they also have a 26 year old defender at the Russian club. We don't have any defenders with that pedigree on paper, but games aren't played on paper I try and remind myself.

The Russian league is on break until February 23rd. On paper we are not likely to win this match.

Edit: Also @Alex can you edit the thread title to included "Camp Poutine 2020" for lolz and tradition. ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, JDub said:

Disappointed but not surprised only one game scheduled. I was starting to think they weren't going to schedule anything. 

WHAT????  We are actually having a camp and a friendly after skipping the winter/camp poutine since 2015 games against Iceland (i think).  I was convinced they wouldnt do anything....kudos they got off their ass and we have something.  We cant be too dissapointed, this is what we asked for eh?? 

I second toontown's suggestion of doing something with u-23 as well, super camp etc.  And if its too expensive, make the roster heavy on guys that will be part of the u-23 team.  Miller, Borges, Bair etc etc.   No sense calling oldies if they arent going to play (Edgar, Johnson, DeJong etc, let the younger guys get a good camp in before U-23 qualifiers.