Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Big doubt on Fraser Aird, League 2 in Scotland just doesn’t cut it when we already have Laryea and possibly Brault-Guillard available. I would love to see James though 

I don’t think for a second he would hit the field but with the Europe based players excluded it’s a good time for Herdman to get a look at Aird (I don’t think he has been in any other Herdman camps, but I might be mistaken).

Here’s our roster from 3 years ago when we played Bermuda and won 4-2.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-bermuda-soccer-friendly-mens-team-concacaf/sn-amp/

Goalkeepers: Callum Irving (Ottawa Fury) and Sean Melvin (Vancouver Whitecaps 2).
Defenders: Nana Attakora (San Francisco Deltas), Dejan Jakovic (unattached), Wandrille Lefevre (Montreal Impact), Maxim Tissot (unattached) and Marcel de Jong (Vancouver Whitecaps).
Midfielders: Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Kyle Bekker (unattached), Marco Bustos (Vancouver Whitecaps), Jay Chapman (Toronto FC), Ben Fisk (FC Edmonton), Will Johnson (Orlando City), Ben McKendry (Vancouver Whitecaps), Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC) and Adam Straith (unattached).
Forwards: Anthony Jackson-Hamel (Montreal Impact) and Tosaint Ricketts (Toronto FC).

Edited by Alex

On paper our attack should be better this time around, even without the 3 Daves.

Cavallini is an upgrade on Jackson-Hamel and Kaye is an upgrade on Mckendry. I don't expect Bekker and/or Bustos to get called, but even they are better now than they were 3 years ago. 

I know Bermuda have improved, but the fact we scored 4 goals with that team lets me be a little more optimistic.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Wow, we have a lot stronger North american based squad than 2015.  We are much better at Keeper, midfield and striker...and the back line prob is better now too.  It gives me some warm and fuzzy feelings.  

Crazy how much stronger we look now than the squad above. Granted lots of the names have now just become more household and players are more visible thanks to the CPL and growing canadians in MLS. 

Wonder if some of the other nations like Bermuda have also grown?

Have to think Borges is rewarded for cleaning up at the CanPL awards. Didic, Zator and Carducci seem like safe bets as well.

I’d like to see Shaffelburg and Terran Campbell called up, I think they can be parts of this team soon, they may be behind the 3 Daves and Larin, but as we are learning now, we can’t depend on them being there every camp, there will be injuries in the future. Shaff, Borges and Campbell have quality and are very athletic, they’d cause teams problems. I’d like to see Abzi included in the team as well, on the other end of the pitch. 

Other than that, we need to win so let’s call the vets. 

27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Some people here have been dropping names that are far less deserving than Carl Haworth. I hope he gets the call.

Name names (players that is)... 

Because to me he's 30 and ain't getting better. Also what position is he playing to be called up.. defense? I rather go with experience inDe Jong, Edgar, or Jackovic.... midfielder? Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Fraser, Shome? wingers/forward? Tabla aint have the best season, but I'll take his promise/age and the fact he played at a higher level. Or maybe Ricketts... He hasnt been mentioned by anyone, but he's the current leading goal scorer (IIRC)... That goes for a lot of guys who simply just trump Carl for me. 

Younger with promise vs Older with experience... He doesn't fall into any of those categories. IMO

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Some people here have been dropping names that are far less deserving than Carl Haworth. I hope he gets the call.

This would be the camp to call him.  Probably Lareya would be the only RB called unless I am missing someone.  But the guy just had his best season as a pro at age 30, why not call him?  If you say he isnt getting any better....well a move to RB resulted in his highest scoring season at 29, so who knows if he can still imporve?   Vitoria has been playing his best football for Canada this year at age 32.  ZBG, Godinho, Cordova etc..ehhhh...give Haworth a shot.  Unless you are calling a youngster to prep him for U-23, thats useful too.    

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This would be the camp to call him.  Probably Lareya would be the only RB called unless I am missing someone.  But the guy just had his best season as a pro at age 30, why not call him?  If you say he isnt getting any better....well a move to RB resulted in his highest scoring season at 29, so who knows if he can still imporve?   Vitoria has been playing his best football for Canada this year at age 32.  ZBG, Godinho, Cordova etc..ehhhh...give Haworth a shot.  Unless you are calling a youngster to prep him for U-23, thats useful too.    

Laryea plays at a higher level in MLS, and Vitoria plays in the Portuguese 1st division. ZBG and Cordova deserve a shot first over Haworth... and the only reason Godinho has gotten "better" is because he is playing down a level now. And no, no Kyle Bekker ever again, he had his shot when he played in MLS and contributed to absolutely nothing. We need to move on from these sort of players, they are not good enough for international football, period.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Laryea plays at a higher level in MLS, and Vitoria plays in the Portuguese 1st division. ZBG and Cordova deserve a shot first over Haworth... and the only reason Godinho has gotten "better" is because he is playing down a level now. And no, no Kyle Bekker ever again, he had his shot when he played in MLS and contributed to absolutely nothing. We need to move on from these sort of players, they are not good enough for international football, period.

Lareya was the RB starter in a full camp, so I assumed we were just looking at cover for RB, sooooooo...............ZBG it is then.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Surprise #1... There will definitely be more of these. Maybe we'll see more guys from the 3. Liga? If Marcus gets called then Canniggia definitely should too! 

NVM... Remebered hearing this may have a U23 focus. 

Godinho is a regular starter for a B3 team, Elva is not. 

7 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Godinho is a regular starter for a B3 team, Elva is not. 

Elva also plays for a bigger club who sit second in the table with a +19 gd, while Zwickau are in 14th place with +1gd.

Not to take anything away from Godinho. Good for him for winning a starting spot. I wish the same for Elva.

Edited by Obinna

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Heard rumours that the mooted friendlies against Carribbean countries would both be against Barbados, but not confirmed yet.

The last time we played Barbados was under similar circumstances. It was January 2004, Carlo corazzin scored his final national team goal in the 1-0 win. We had a camp in Florida and we were getting ready for Olympic qualifying for Athens at the same time.