Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

At this point is he not the clear #2? I know he hasn't played much for the national team, but he's in the same league as Crepeau and outperforming him. It's a pity we don't have more friendlies to sort this out, but I would say he's our #2 if the world cup started today AND he looks like the future man too!

Edited by Tyson M

3 hours ago, Tyson M said:

At this point is he not the clear #2? I know he hasn't played much for the national team, but he's in the same league as Crepeau and outperforming him. It's a pity we don't have more friendlies to sort this out, but I would say he's our #2 if the world cup started today AND he looks like the future man too!

He's clearly no 3, there is no discussion. 

He is not even having a better club season than Crepeau, who is the keeper of the current best team in the league. 22 GA in 20 games, best in West and 3-4th best in the league.

Who helped us draw away to Mexico at Azteca and Jamaica, home to Panama. The away loss there too, 3 GA in 4 games. Previously stopped a penalty in the GC to keep us in a match. 4/14 matches in qualifying. 

Apart from the fact that his play for us was very good, he proved himself to be the deserving back-up to Borjan and we all know that if Milan has a problem, we have cover. 

DSC is there to support those two.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's clearly no 3, there is no discussion. 

He is not even having a better club season than Crepeau, who is the keeper of the current best team in the league. 22 GA in 20 games, best in West and 3-4th best in the league.

Who helped us draw away to Mexico at Azteca and Jamaica, home to Panama. The away loss there too, 3 GA in 4 games. Previously stopped a penalty in the GC to keep us in a match. 4/14 matches in qualifying. 

Apart from the fact that his play for us was very good, he proved himself to be the deserving back-up to Borjan and we all know that if Milan has a problem, we have cover. 

DSC is there to support those two.

You can’t really say Crepeau has been better this year just because LAFC have allowed fewer goals. Crepeau gets tested way less. If you look at who’s stopping more/higher quality shots, it’s DSC. He’s performing at a ridiculous level as far as performance above expectation (goals vs xG). That being said, I do agree that Crepeau is still #2 for the World Cup just from familiarity with the team and past performance for the NT.

Are transfer rumours even that hot for MLS goalies? I’m under the assumption that we’ll wake up one day in the next few years and see a tweet that like Arsenal or Tottenham or whoever out of nowhere has bought St Clair. 

also agree that his form shouldn’t affect the goalie depth chart. Reality is that you only have one spot per game, we’ve playing 3 games in Qatar and our backup is pretty much only gonna play if Borjan gets injured. And if he does, I don’t think St Clair necessarily gives us a significantly better chance than Crepeau to win a game, so might as well leave it as is and go with the guy who played excellent in the octo. That said, we have some strong depth for when Borjan finally hangs it up. St. Clair, Crepeau and any number of young guys coming up the ranks is more than enough to keep us from losing games we should’ve won due to bad keeping.

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Are transfer rumours even that hot for MLS goalies? I’m under the assumption that we’ll wake up one day in the next few years and see a tweet that like Arsenal or Tottenham or whoever out of nowhere has bought St Clair. 

also agree that his form shouldn’t affect the goalie depth chart. Reality is that you only have one spot per game, we’ve playing 3 games in Qatar and our backup is pretty much only gonna play if Borjan gets injured. And if he does, I don’t think St Clair necessarily gives us a significantly better chance than Crepeau to win a game, so might as well leave it as is and go with the guy who played excellent in the octo. That said, we have some strong depth for when Borjan finally hangs it up. St. Clair, Crepeau and any number of young guys coming up the ranks is more than enough to keep us from losing games we should’ve won due to bad keeping.

Slonina seems to be the only one generating real excitement from abroad in terms of MLS keepers. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Slonina seems to be the only one generating real excitement from abroad in terms of MLS keepers. 

Matt Turner just joined Arsenal (and played in their friendly last night).

After Slonina, I'd bet St. Clair would be next in line for a European move, given his age and profile. Most other MLS starters are older.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That one was pretty sudden too, no? Feel like I heard nothing and then one day his transfer was announced. Not that I follow MLS rumours, let alone for non Canadians. But yeah, there’s a Matt Turner and a little before that. Zach Steffen was bought by man city, and he’s currently on loan at Middlesbrough, so it seems that more than any other position, big European teams are more than happy to spend on MLS keeers, which is why I think that St Clair has a shot at landing at a pretty strong club sometime over the next two years. 

EDIT: thought Slonina to Chelsea was already a done deal, but it seems they’re still working it out.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I don’t see Herdman switching things up before Qatar, but fwiw comparing expected goal stats (takes the quality of shots a goalie is facing into account) St.Clair is 3rd in the league for goalies who have played 10 or more games, while Crepeau is 4th worst.  So even though Crepeau is not conceding too many goals, he’s not facing many dangerous shots either and should actually be preventing more goals.  For you TFC fans, Alex Bono is 2nd best in the MLS.  The AustinFC goalie is #1.  And Slonina is just average.

St.Clair is weak on his long passes / goal kicks accuracy however, where Crepeau is rather good. 

You can check out the stats here:

https://fbref.com/en/comps/22/keepersadv/Major-League-Soccer-Stats

Edited by TOcanadafan

18 hours ago, archer21 said:

You can’t really say Crepeau has been better this year just because LAFC have allowed fewer goals. Crepeau gets tested way less. If you look at who’s stopping more/higher quality shots, it’s DSC. He’s performing at a ridiculous level as far as performance above expectation (goals vs xG). That being said, I do agree that Crepeau is still #2 for the World Cup just from familiarity with the team and past performance for the NT.

What interests me is that last year, and two years before that, Crepeau was getting tested way more than most keepers in MLS, just because Vancouver left him out to dry so many times. Vancouver struggled, but Crepeau stood on his head and things would have been far worse if not for him. The pundits took notice and gave him props, then he got his shot with Canada and did well, and finally he found his way to a top club in MLS, LAFC.

Now he gets tested way less, as you say, but Crepeau is the same keeper. His numbers are down, but I guess it's a different challenge being inactive most of the game and then having to spring to action, like he did in Vancouver (and like St. Clair is doing for Minnesota). Without looking at the numbers, I am going to assume the loons give up far more chances than LAFC does, which gives St. Clair the opportunity to shine, just like Crepeau did at the Whitecaps. Toronto have been really poor this year, yet Bono is statistically the second best keeper? I would take Crepeau and St. Clair over him in a heartbeat. 

This is not to take anything away from St. Clair, I think he deserves the praise, just as Crepeau did (and Bono probably does). I just wouldn't proclaim Crepeau is being leapfrogged (not that you're suggesting that, just quoting you while making a general point).

• 3 weeks later...

hitting a rough patch of form right now

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1556128668182781953

From Week 1 to the June int'l break, DSC saved Minnesota 0.52 goals per game as per @AnalysisEvolved 's G+ metric. The single-season record in their database is Matt Turner's 2019 at 0.48. Since the int'l date DSC's G+ is -0.18. Which is bad.

spilled the ball twice leading to goals conceded this past weekend against colorado (4-3 loss)

could see heath maybe giving tyler miller a start soon

Edited by saladroit

Really bad goals to concede there.  I sense that on the second one three minutes after the first goal bobble, St. Clair was switched off mentally and rooted to his line.

Chalk up some learning experience there but Heath might go to Miller for the next start(s).

3 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I was going to say his advanced stats are too good to sit out long, but Miller is also in elite company when you look at his comparables on fbref. Minnesota should really pick a horse and cash in on one of them.

I think of 1 and 1A keepers in soccer like 1 and 1A starting quarterbacks in pointy ball.  I like clear number 1 with a journeyman back up providing breather starts.

Just make sure that your number 1 is durable!

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think of 1 and 1A keepers in soccer like 1 and 1A starting quarterbacks in pointy ball.  I like clear number 1 with a journeyman back up providing breather starts.

Just make sure that your number 1 is durable!

For sure. In a league without a salary cap it would certainly be easier to justify rolling 1A/1B. Always nice to have a safety net. But in MLS it’s nuts. Miller is on $425k. St. Clair is on $300k.

Edit: That puts Miller 17th and St. Clair 20th for MLS GK salaries.

Edited by footballfreak

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Really bad goals to concede there.  I sense that on the second one three minutes after the first goal bobble, St. Clair was switched off mentally and rooted to his line.

Chalk up some learning experience there but Heath might go to Miller for the next start(s).

Heath made that error last year, early on, and then had a poor season with Miller in goal.

St Clair is his no 1 and he should not change just for that poor outing.

(Article) "Going into last weekend, St. Clair was the top-graded shot-stopper in MLS, according to Pro Football Focus FC. His 91.8 grade was nearly four points better than Carlos Coronel of the New York Red Bulls.

At that point, Kerr said there was only one goal allowed — against New England in mid-June — that he would chalk up as St. Clair’s fault. Then St. Clair bobbled two shots that directly led to Gyasi Zardes goals in a 4-3 loss to Colorado Rapids on Saturday. It was far and away his worst game of 2022.

Kerr said last week that if there are fewer than four goals that can be considered the keeper’s fault over a full year, it would be a “fantastic season.”

Rimando has been there, done that, too. “You might have mess-ups or bad goals, but ‘it has to get through 10 players before it gets to you’; that is what my mom always told me,” he said. “I gave up a lot of (expletive) goals in my career. It’s just getting past it.”

He still has improvement in his game and he was at fault for 3 of those 4 goals on the weekend but he has almost single handily carried Minnesota into 4th place in the West playoffs.

Minnesota has the 23rd most shots against so far this season marking them as 5th worst in the league.  However, they are 12th in fewest goals allowed.  That includes the 4 goals he just let past him this weekend.

Like I said, he still needs to work on some aspects of his game but he has saved his team a lot more than he has cost it this season.