Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

gotta say the last name has to be a write off for the 3rd spot. 
To me it just doesn't make sense to use it on a 33 year old, when you have promising younger options who arguably can be battling for the #1.

I love that he represents Canada so proudly with his limited options, but still....

Leutwiler also seems to have lost his starting spot, and it is League Two. 

5 minutes ago, Metro said:

The way he played last night might be an indication that with playing time, he will soon be tugging on Crepeau's shirt saying, "just a minute here..."

Breza too....and don't sleep on Hasal either. Vancouvers defense was the reason why Crepeau was able to display his talents. 

4 minutes ago, Metro said:

The way he played last night might be an indication that with playing time, he will soon be tugging on Crepeau's shirt saying, "just a minute here..."

He needs to be consistent, which Crepeau is. Last year St. Clair had moments of brilliance like he had yesterday but he would then be very underwhelming. Coaches want a 7/10 every game instead of a 9/10 on occasion mixed with 5/10s.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Also, shot stopping makes the highlights, but other less flashy attributes of a goalkeeper's game, like ability to judge crosses, distribution, and organizing the defense have at least as large an impact on goals against.

Yes,  There are intangibles attributes which is why GK's in soccer can play up to almost 40 yrs of age.    I think too many ppl look at Goal keeping in Soccer through the prism of a hockey goalie.   

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Between Breza, Hasal, St. Clair, Pantemis and Leutwiler its gonna be a fun fight to see who is #3.

I would eliminate Pantemis and Leutwiler and I'm a CF MTL fan. As for the other three I rate them

St.Clair ( a slight lead over Hasal for the immediate future but I see this kid becoming an international star keeper)

Hasal

Breza.

This could shape up to be one of the coolest stories of the year.

2021 was basically a wasted year for DSC.

Played Minnesota's 1st 4 MLS matches, giving up 10 goals in that span. He was benched for Miller and didn't play another game until the playoffs (a loss to Portland).

Minnesota would be stupid not to give him a long run of games now.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Also, shot stopping makes the highlights, but other less flashy attributes of a goalkeeper's game, like ability to judge crosses, distribution, and organizing the defense have at least as large an impact on goals against.

Agreed 100% He had that last night, IMHO.  I always found him to be a well rounded keeper.

Edited by Metro

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, it is Breza, Hasal or DSC for me. I love that we have 3 clearly talented young(ish) keepers in MLS either starting as #1 or staking a claim to do so.  That bodes very well for the future.  

This is what I have been thinking. If all 3 are starting and doing well I wonder if Herdman goes with the keeper with the most familiarity (DSC). I like Breza and Hasal and would like our keeper pool to grow, but the 3rd keeper trains with the over two and thus we shouldn't overlook the importance of chemistry. That being the case we could even see Pantemis again, despite being the no.2 at MTL. I would be a little pissed if Breza gets overlooked in favour of his backup, but I can see it happening.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is what I have been thinking. If all 3 are starting and doing well I wonder if Herdman goes with the keeper with the most familiarity (DSC). I like Breza and Hasal and would like our keeper pool to grow, but the 3rd keeper trains with the over two and thus we shouldn't overlook the importance of chemistry. That being the case we could even see Pantemis again, despite being the no.2 at MTL. I would be a little pissed if Breza gets overlooked in favour of his backup, but I can see it happening.

It will be interesting come the fall what Herdman does for the World Cup.  By then we’ll have seen a whole season of performances by these guys in the MLS.  If one of them stands out, to me it would be best to have one of the young guys on the team having that experience carrying into ‘26 by being in Qatar. Obviously Borjan and Crepeau are locks 1 and 2

11 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

It will be interesting come the fall what Herdman does for the World Cup.  By then we’ll have seen a whole season of performances by these guys in the MLS.  If one of them stands out, to me it would be best to have one of the young guys on the team having that experience carrying into ‘26 by being in Qatar. Obviously Borjan and Crepeau are locks 1 and 2

I know what you mean. That 3rd spot is a big carrot for all of our young up and coming keepers. I think DSC is the favourite, but Hasal and Breza are good shouts as well. Too bad they all can't make the plane to Qatar.

I remember when Carducci was given a chance at 3rd spot. Nations League qualifying I believe. Since then he's aruguably been the best keeper in CPL with arguably the most consistent team. I remember him saying in an interview how he has eyes for 2026. I don't see him being in the conversation with all those other keepers doing well in MLS, but he could be another one to add to the mix later on. Still only 25.

Edited by Obinna

I hope that with the nations league.friendlies Herdman expands his call ups a bit.  There are several guys who should get into camp so they can get a fair shake at earning a roster spot.  Leave keeper 1 (Borjan) or 1A(Crepeau) at home and bring in a Hasl/Breza/DSC combo to fight it out for #3 spot.  

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Apparently San Jose didn't get any shots on goal in this game, so that probably helped with the clean sheet. ;)

I remember the defense completely leaving him out to dry last year which led to him losing his spot, that's a nice change I guess lol

St. Clair was always going to be the 3rd keeper called up I felt. He's already been called up before, and Herdman seems to rate him (rightfully so), so if he is playing and starting for his club it seemed like a no brainer. Honestly, I would not be at all surprised if he started a game over Crepeau/Borjan if he impresses in camp...I get the same vibes about him as I did about Buchanan before he became a regular started for us... like he knows he is good enough and is just waiting for the chance to prove it.

Edited by LeoH037