Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I personally find he has flaws and immaturity that put him clearly below Crepeau, though the latter is not healthy yet. 

He does not command the box that well, is not really sure in the air, is more an agile stop stopper, which looks good in the crunch. I find he only average with his feet. Of course that was a flaw with Borjan too, one of his weak areas.

Yup, I'm not saying he's better than Crepeau.  HIs ball distribution needs work.  If Crepeau was healthy, he's the number 2.  But he's not, so I'd like to give St Clair some time with the NT to see how he does. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I personally find he has flaws and immaturity that put him clearly below Crepeau, though the latter is not healthy yet. 

He does not command the box that well, is not really sure in the air, is more an agile stop stopper, which looks good in the crunch. I find he only average with his feet. Of course that was a flaw with Borjan too, one of his weak areas.

Prior to his emergence with the Caps, I would have made a similar description for Crepeau:  a very athletic shot stopper but other areas needing improvement.  But he really impressed in Vancouver and I would dare say he was better at commanding his box there than in the times I saw him with LA.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

A bit concerning... he's been the worst GK in the league this year by goals allowed above expected. Minnesota fans really turning on him

image.png.75b7bbab7695821a3e721b1c96167bac.png

Honestly I haven’t watched much Minnesota but from what I’ve seen their defence has been god awful, last night especially he didn’t have a chance on any of those goals. Xg is weird because even on a shot that is completely unsaveable could still have low Xg, For example Camachos goal last night had a 0.07xg and there was no way in hell DSC was getting to that.

Geesh, he is in his second year as a regular MLS starter, has become an auto call up for Canada and will prob get games at the GC.  HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT.  Come on, Minny is having a tough time on D, but thats the way a career goes eh? Ups and downs, tough patches, but still be a pro, keep getting better.    

I don’t happen to watch a lot of Minnesota games but it seems like they actually have some of the better statistics defensively in MLS this year.  They give up very few shots on goal against per game.  Again, I’m not watching, so I’m not see the chances against first hand but statistically Minnesota has been one of the most defensively sound clubs in the league.

Zero penalties conceded.  Only the Union, LAFC & Red Bulls have conceded less shots on net.  Maybe others can chime in on the “eye test” but basic statistics show Minnesota has a decent defensive performance.

FWIW I still rate him as our 3rd choice keeper.

Edited by Corazon

I need to see how the goals were conceded.  One thing that has stood out for me in some past performances is that after a goal was given up, regardless of whether or not he could have done better on it, he would "switch off" somehat and not have his head in the moment and then would concede again shortly thereafter on a play where more assertion would have helped.  Punching and not catching, staying rooted to the line on some crosses:  some of those are examples of a confidence thing.

I like him, but a healthy and a return-to-form Crepeau is my choice ahead of him.  Still, the Gold Cup gives him a good shot to show his chops.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

#BorjanBlunder or #StClairSlipUp

A lot of people will disagree, but DSC is a bit of a concern for me. Granted, he had little to do and has not played much for us, but there are gaps that need to be addressed soon as a No. 2. And he isn't that young at 26. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

A lot of people will disagree, but DSC is a bit of a concern for me. Granted, he had little to do and has not played much for us, but there are gaps that need to be addressed soon as a No. 2. And he isn't that young at 26. 

I have always preferred Max at #2.  With Milan aging out at some point, I am really hoping Max makes a full recovery and gets back to where he was.  With Sirois coming up and looking really promising I am not sure DSC is ever going to be out starting keeper.  

43 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

He was cap-tied two years ago when he played in a World Cup qualifier vs. Aruba.

That doesn't cap tie someone anymore...
It's 3 or more caps in official games or making an appearance in a continental tournament like the Gold Cup.