Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s obviously very early, but Zack Steffen leveraged some good seasons with Columbus to get a transfer to city, and then of course Matt Turner did the same and is going to Arsenal, so I’m really excited st St. Clair’s Europe potential. If the absolute best clubs in the world are getting their keepers from MLS, you have to think that after this season or next, a handful of top 5 league clubs will be inquiring about his services.

Yeaa I’m a little indifferent on those said moves.

I would rather Dayne go somewhere he’s going to be a contender for the #1 spot and get legit opportunities vs a undisputed #2 that rarely plays.

Zach has 2 games at City, and Turner is most definitely going to be a backup at Arsenal with Ramsdale being proven, tested, and younger. 

I don’t want our future #1 not playing games. 

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

I would rather Dayne go somewhere he’s going to be a contender for the #1 spot and get legit opportunities vs a undisputed #2 that rarely plays.

Zach has 2 games at City, and Turner is most definitely going to be a backup at Arsenal with Ramsdale being proven, tested, and younger. 

I would say the difference is that Steffan/Turner are fighting for the #1 spot for USMNT and NEED to play. DSC currently is the 3rd string GK for CANMNT. He can take his time to work his way up in the pecking order, even if that means being the backup at a Marquee club. His time really is 2026. He has time to work up his way up both for club and country..

He's also a few years younger than both Steffan and Turner

Edited by pod818

5 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I would say the difference is that Steffan/Turner are fighting for the #1 spot for USMNT and NEED to play. DSC currently is the 3rd string GK for CANMNT. He can take his time to work his way up in the pecking order, even if that means being the backup at a Marquee club. His time really is 2026. He has time to work up his way up both for club and country..

While I agree he is not going to push Borjan out as starting keeper for the 2022 WC and 2026 is the goal, Dayne will be 25 on May 9th. Young for  a keeper, but he's not like Slonina and he needs to play now as much as possible. 

7 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I said this a couple posts above, however with Borjan turning 35 this year. The World Cup could be his final appearance, or depending on how far we make it in CNL.

Crepeau is the undisputed #2 this year, and going into the WC. However I think once Borjan retires, the #1 is up for grabs meaning Dayne could be our number 1 by the Gold Cup or the fall international window of 2023. 

I think 2026 or 25 is too far out for his potential, and too predict with us having a lot of young GK options.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I wouldn’t want him to sign with a massive club that won’t play him, however Steffen played a full season on loan at Düsseldorf, I think he would’ve played a second if he didn’t get injured, so as long as he’s playing somewhere, that’s good. I think the market for MLS goalies is hot, and if for St Clair it means Bundesliga instead of EPL, and he gets plenty of starts, that would be great.

that said, like someone mentioned, he’s our third string, so I wouldn’t be too concerned if he got, for lack of a better word, the Laryea treatment for a few seasons at a top club, with the goal of becoming a starter on a top team by 2026. HeLl, as a GK, simply riding the bench for a champions league quality squad is the best scouting report CANMNT could ask for. Even if he was buried on an EPL side with great keepers ahead of him now, he’s be exposed to a lot of the players Canada will face at the World Cup, and I think that’s worth a lot too.

That said, this is probably way too premature, since we’re talking about a guy whose breakout season isn’t even half way over. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

Didnt he just sign a new deal with Minnesota??  We are so quick to have guys move on about 3 weeks after they start playing well.  How about he finishes the season as the starter for #1.  #2 Prove its not a fluke by having another good season next year (ie Crepeau).  In the long run if our starting WC keeper is a stud playing in MLS, thats fine with me.  

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt he just sign a new deal with Minnesota??  We are so quick to have guys move on about 3 weeks after they start playing well.  How about he finishes the season as the starter for #1.  #2 Prove its not a fluke by having another good season next year (ie Crepeau).  In the long run if our starting WC keeper is a stud playing in MLS, thats fine with me.  

I second this, especially considering he's a goal keeper.

What he needs is a long run of games so that he learns to be consistent. I know he's hot right now, and was hot during his run to the conference final, BUT he did have a mini slump at the beginning of last season that cost him a year of development. I know we blamed Heath at the time for not being patient with him, which may be fair, but let's be honest, if he was standing on his head like he is at the moment he never would have been dropped. 

MLS is a fine league for him to sort out these kinks for the time being. Looks like he's doing that spectacularly thus far.

And to add, Crepeau has turned into a solid CONCACAF keeper right before our eyes, and where was he playing his club ball? MLS is perfectly sufficient. 

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

It was 2020 when St Clair won the job at Minnesota and people questioned if he was going to give Crepeau a run for his money. Then, he lost the starting job and Crepeau stood on his head for club and country, to the point where people questioned if he was going to leapfrog Borjan for the no. 1 jersey. Now St Clair is playing and back to his best and the narrative has picked back up where it left ofd, it seems.

I haven't seen the underlying numbers to say whether he's actually out performing Crepeau, but I will say that competion is great and may the best keeper win. We clearly have 3 fine options and a handful of young guns earning time. This feels like the deepest we've been at keeper for a long time, if not ever. 

He blowing away Matt Turner's stats (which are MLS elite I'd argue). St. Clair just had a sophomore slump, that's all. He got up, shook it off, and is getting back to it. 

Keylor Navas went to Levante at 25 years old, and given he went to a team that got hammed a lot, it forced him to grow a lot really fast, and we know how the rest turned out. I'm not saying St Clair is of the same caliber, but he is only 24 (almost 25). if he can hold on as a starter in MLS for a couple of season, and establish himself as one of the best keepers in the league, he'll be in Europe by the time he's 27, and that's a very good age for a goal keeper to make a move. St. Clair has the potential to be the undisputed No 1 come 2026, and I'm sure he knows it. On the eye test alone, none of the goal keepers coming up at the moment are close to him. 

LAFC faces Minnesota United FC today. If St. Clair and Crepeau both start it's going to be a low scoring game. And Bet365 currently has the under 2.5 at +140.  

I'm not a betting man but... with their two goalkeeping records so far this season that's not a bad bet to take.  

EDIT: Game ended 2-0. Should have bet my house.

Edited by Ally McCoist

20 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

LAFC faces Minnesota United FC today. If St. Clair and Crepeau both start it's going to be a low scoring game. And Bet365 currently has the under 2.5 at +140.  

I'm not a betting man but... with their two goalkeeping records so far this season that's not a bad bet to take.

Its on TSN by the way

Crepeau with the 2-0 shutout win, but he didn't have much to do, his best play came when he came off the line quickly to help force a shitty shot by Robin Lod (but where he didn't get credited for the save, which shows how misleading stats can be).

St. Clair made many more difficult saves including a phenomenal one that LAFC scored on the ensuing corner kick, but he had no chance on either goal.

3 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Half time against FC Cincinnati and DSC making some great saves again to keep it 0-0

Two fantastic saves

i don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say he’s been the best keeper in MLS so far  this season. It’s early obviously, and He might need to have another year like this  to get a big move to Europe but he’s showing he has that ability 

• 3 weeks later...

MLS site has him as the best keeper in the Western Conference so far this year.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/best-xi-top-eastern-and-western-conference-players-thus-far

A notable comment from the article:

Among all goalkeeping seasons (full seasons, mind you) since 2017, the 25-year-old ranks 13th in goals prevented (6.69). That’s in … 990 minutes. Truly and utterly absurd.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ADP10 said:

He was named to the MLS all star game as a coach pick!!!

just found out the all-star coach is the Minnesota coach too. I honestly haven’t watched him enough this season to judge if he warrants a spot or not

Edited by ADP10

2 hours ago, ADP10 said:

just found out the all-star coach is the Minnesota coach too. I honestly haven’t watched him enough this season to judge if he warrants a spot or not

His numbers this season back it up though.  At least enough that nobody should question his inclusion.

6 minutes ago, Corazon said:

His numbers this season back it up though.  At least enough that nobody should question his inclusion.

He can steal a game for you.  And he has a real presence out there. 

I'm not  one to go on the overhyping bandwagon which happens here too often, but he has the tools to be a good one.