The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I got a question. Should we try Davies as an attacking midfielder? (Obviously not during the WC qualifying rounds) The kid has superb vision and he has pinpoint accuracy in his passes. During the first half I saw him directing his teammates. He directed the pass on Bayern's goal. I know most will say we're gonna lose his pace on the wing but we'll make use of vision and passing and on occasion he'll surprise opposing players with speed up the midfield.

Anyway it's just a thought. You can play this kid almost anywhere and you can't go wrong.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I got a question. Should we try Davies as an attacking midfielder? (Obviously not during the WC qualifying rounds) The kid has superb vision and he has pinpoint accuracy in his passes. During the first half I saw him directing his teammates. He directed the pass on Bayern's goal. I know most will say we're gonna lose his pace on the wing but we'll make use of vision and passing and on occasion he'll surprise opposing players with speed up the midfield.

Anyway it's just a thought. You can play this kid almost anywhere and you can't go wrong.

Having him in the middle minimizes the impact of his most notable attribute- his speed.  You can still use it in the middle but not nearly as much as he can on the outside with the open space there.   

9 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

His speed is world class and the best way to use speed merchants like Davies is to put them outside.  Inside it gets too clogged up for him to reach his full top end.

Bayern has figured out how to use him perfectly as a 2 way player.  With Canada we need him to have even more offensive responsibilities than at Bayern so we use him differently.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I’ve wondered that as well. I think it could work, but playing centrally would neuter his pace somewhat.

There’s also the question is whether the player he replaces (Osorio) offers more than the player that would slot into Davies LB/LWB position (Adekugbe/Laryea to LWB, Buchanan to RWB). I consider Osorio one of our weaker starters, but I’m not sure I want Adekugbe or Tajon as starting defenders against decent opposition.

Definitely an option if we’re in a situation where we’re playing against inferior opposition in a deep block.

Apologies to who it was here who mentioned Sane never passes to him, ignores him almost deliberately. Good observation.

Now they are playing up the same side there have been 5-6 clear counters or attacking plays where Sane had a best option, or good one, using Davies, and ignored him. And then frequenly squandered it, lost it, exposed his team to a counter with Davies far up high. All first half Davies was in clear attacking positions that were not used by Sane, 2nd half too. No other player does this so blatantly. He on the other hand is totally unselfish and plays for the team. 

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apologies to who it was here who mentioned Sane never passes to him, ignores him almost deliberately. Good observation.

Now they are playing up the same side there have been 5-6 clear counters or attacking plays where Sane had a best option, or good one, using Davies, and ignored him. And then frequenly squandered it, lost it, exposed his team to a counter with Davies far up high. All first half Davies was in clear attacking positions that were not used by Sane, 2nd half too. No other player does this so blatantly. He on the other hand is totally unselfish and plays for the team. 

It was me.  And I literally just came here to post that he is doing it again today.  It seems like he intentionally turns away from Davies and seeks out any other option. Interestingly, Davies still has no hesitation whatsoever to pass to Sane - but I wonder if that eventually changes if he never reciprocates.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

48 minutes ago, JFL19 said:

As much as i love watching Alphonso please for the love of god sub him at half.

Honestly I am glad they didn’t.  I would have been much more concerned if they subbed him at half because it would mean that the “injury” warranted a cautious approach - which would be far more worrying in the context of next week.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was me.  And I literally just came here to post that he is doing fit again today.  It seems like he intentionally turns away from Davies and seeks out any other option. Interestingly, Davies still has no hesitation whatsoever to pass to Sane - but I wonder if that eventually changes if he never reciprocates.  

Just before the 2nd goal, which was a pass to Sane, he passed another to Sane who squandered it in the box. Not really a reciprocal relationship. It is too bad because Sane tends to turn inside and that gives Davies more space up the side, while when Coman or similar are high left they stay wider and block his progress. 

Sane, has to be said, is a huge talent that almost always seems to show he's very talented while also underplaying and being ineffective.