Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

30 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that next to none of the former Whitecaps prospects that didn't make a lasting impression on the first team actually went on to make it at an equal or higher level. At this point, Colyn is just one in a long list. Let's hope he's an exception (or that I'm totally wrong)

In trying to defend them you’ve pointed out a flaw… this isn’t a defence. It means they’re doing things wrong and have been poor in their development and scouting. Given a country wide net, they need to better.

Colyn and Habibullah are good, they have hype yet they aren’t playing, Campagna isn’t bad either… Facchinieri rode pine, Pecile here… all were signed and there’s a pattern…  

20 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

MLS is not an easy league for an 18yr old who is 140lbs soaking wet. Say what you want about the caliber of play or the skill level but its definitely an athletic league. I wouldn't call it a rough league but maybe a physical league.

For instance I just watched that 17 yr old who is getting hyped with San Jose. I didn't really see much but a man child. Not saying he isn't a propect but it was his physical gifts that seemed to be his biggest attribute 

They may be athletic but according to some data crunching study, MLS is the worst league out if 28 in terms of intensity of runs (>19.8 km). Based on how the data was calculated, it could be due to the players do a lot of total running but not enough at full tilt.

With MLS having playoffs, no higher tv revenue if ranked higher in the table, no lucrative Champions League spots up for grabs and no agony of relegation, the intensity during regular season isn't needed as much.

No surprise Premier League is first. A bit surprising la liga is third (and the segunda is 10th). And Scotland is 2nd worst - maybe like MLS with lots of running but not done enough with a tactical purpose.

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp343/en/

Edited by red card

3 hours ago, red card said:

They may be athletic but according to some data crunching study, MLS is the worst league out if 28 in terms of intensity of runs (>19.8 km). Based on how the data was calculated, it could be due to the players do a lot of total running but not enough at full tilt.

With MLS having playoffs, no higher tv revenue if ranked higher in the table, no lucrative Champions League spots up for grabs and no agony of relegation, the intensity during regular season isn't needed as much.

No surprise Premier League is first. A bit surprising la liga is third (and the segunda is 10th). And Scotland is 2nd worst - maybe like MLS with lots of running but not done enough with a tactical purpose.

If your a 140lbs you can run with as much intensity that your little hart desires 

You know what they say about data.. garbage in garbage out

3 hours ago, red card said:

I question the criteria. The highest leagues have nearly 8% of high intensity, the worst just under 7%. So a 1% spread of total runs. If 32km/hr is a sprint, just over half that isn't too high intensity. So they should raise the speed criteria and see if there's more spread, or lower it and try again. 

Otherwise this proves football is played with similar intensity across all pro leagues. 

Oh and Barça the team running furthest. Odd for a possession team. But then again: Frenkie de Jong. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 months later...

Figured he deserved a bump. Since joining Jong PSV in August he has been used as a sub 7 times and was once an unused sub. Played just over 100 minutes in that time.

So although he isn't getting a lot of time he is making appearances against men in a league that we have recently called 2 guys up from (Sturing and Brym). He is also still only 19 and for money playing on one of the better development organizations in the world. 

• 1 month later...

I feel bad for making fun of him in the Brym thread now. His link up play was good today, and that finish was fantastic. It's still kinda weird that he got this chance in the first place, but he's doing what he's never really done before - competing and succeeding vs grown men. 

If he didn't have this reputation as a pure youth player, we'd probably all be stoked for him.

38 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Young Simon has definitely filled out in the 3 years since he was a prop in the Whitecaps' 'Farewell Phonzie' show.

The only other thing needed was for Davies to be carrying a torch off the field and handing it to Colyn during the substitution.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 month later...