Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Lord knows he won't get a look-in under MDS. 

With luck he will be back just in time to impress a new coach though. 

In regards to the CPL, there is nothing to say he might not end up with a team after the Winnipeg Kickoff is done. A few teams still have some slots. Ottawa or Edmonton might be a good spot for him.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I think they have no real developmental philosophy once your residency term is done and they are whoring the kids euro passport hoping to recoup a few hundred grand.

@GlassCity had touched on this awhile back that they are looking to get loans as a bridge between MLS and Academy…

19 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't really understand the Caps strategy with Colyn. Are they hoping he develops elsewhere and returns to Vancouver, or do they feel they've taken him as far as they can and they're looking for a sale?

glasscity is the go to for all things Caps, it just seems like all the CDN teams are lost when it comes to the last step. However MTL with loans seems to be trending up.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Either one of these clubs initiates a low buy out clause (I assume one is in place) or he returns home after a few failed loans/trials and his value takes a hit. The domestic pathways in the US, and perhaps Canada, are more successful right now than they ever have been before, so why not use them?

55 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't really understand the Caps strategy with Colyn. Are they hoping he develops elsewhere and returns to Vancouver, or do they feel they've taken him as far as they can and they're looking for a sale?

The latter.  When you have an expansive academy system you need to get some kind of fiscal return on your investment.  Also, you have to show to future prospects you hope to sign up that your brand is a pathway to some kind of shot at a pro career, somewhere.  It's really no different from a private pay-to-play academy getting their grads a year or in the under 21 set up of a second division German or Dutch club, then they cut you loose.