Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

6 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Is it only me, or does the Dutch second division look pretty poor.  The defending looks terrible.  From the few highlights I see on here, it almost looks lower quality than the CPL. Of course, I don’t watch either in great quantity so others probably are in a much better place to comment. 

Probably doesn't help that they have a bunch of reserve teams.

I believe there is also no relegation 

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Is it only me, or does the Dutch second division look pretty poor.  The defending looks terrible.  From the few highlights I see on here, it almost looks lower quality than the CPL. Of course, I don’t watch either in great quantity so others probably are in a much better place to comment. 

I hate how every time one of our guys has success at their level someone brings up how bad the level is or how terrible the defending was, or the goalie should have done better. It's some weird inferiority complex that Canadaian fans have that we just can't have good players and nice things. Not just a point to this comment, but it come ls up regularly. 

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I hate how every time one of our guys has success at their level someone brings up how bad the level is or how terrible the defending was, or the goalie should have done better. It's some weird inferiority complex that Canadaian fans have that we just can't have good players and nice things. Not just a point to this comment, but it come ls up regularly. 

I’m hoping that this trend of having guys on our national team that play at levels above leagues like this continue. This is a good level to play in when your young like Simon but it’s not a level to be playing and expect a national team call up unless your calling a young player like this to give him some national team experience. However, if your Simon’s age and getting major minutes at this level it’s a good sign of possible bigger things to come  from a young player like this.

How contradictory, folks drooling over Brym, older and scoring his first goals in 4 months, and then Colyn comes along, 4 years younger (!) and scores in the same division, apparently, and we get all these posts on how low a level this is. 

Well it is so low that we draw players from it for the national team and play them. And many here are just fine with it. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How contradictory, folks drooling over Brym, older and scoring his first goals in 4 months, and then Colyn comes along, 4 years younger (!) and scores in the same division, apparently, and we get all these posts on how low a level this is. 

Well it is so low that we draw players from it for the national team and play them. And many here are just fine with it. 

Who’s drooling over Brym? I feel like he gets more abuse than most on here. He did have a very nice goal that people appreciated the other day, but what’s wrong with giving props when they’re due?

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The guy was always touted, Dutch clubs were watching him at 16 but Vancouver had no plan for him…. I’m not surprised it’s going well and I do believe he cracks the first team soon.

Cracking PSVs first team for what…training ? I don’t think he has a chance in hell of being in the first team squad anytime soon tbh. There’s better players than him in the reserve team that wont be getting a sniff.

41 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Cracking PSVs first team for what…training ? I don’t think he has a chance in hell of being in the first team squad anytime soon tbh. There’s better players than him in the reserve team that wont be getting a sniff.

Only that if you are playing in a men's league on a reserve team of a leading Eredivise team, you are there for a reason. I think Dutch clubs do indeed move players up, respecting the path he still needs to go down until he's ready. 

Being in 2nd division Netherlands and part of the roster of PSV--that is far higher than where Brym is at, and indeed many of our younger guys who have not gotten pro men's football minutes. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I count 8 members of PSV's current 1st team roster that came up from the reserve or Jong side, all between 19 and 22 years old.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I count 8 members of PSV's current 1st team roster that came up from the reserve or Jong side, all between 19 and 22 years old.

So?? Not sure who you’re arguing with.  My point is the statement that Colyn will crack the fist team soon is totally unfounded. PSV is leading the league and I highly doubt Colyn is a realistic first team option. Let’s revisit this in a few months then.

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

So?? Not sure who you’re arguing with.  My point is the statement that Colyn will crack the fist team soon is totally unfounded. PSV is leading the league and I highly doubt Colyn is a realistic first team option. Let’s revisit this in a few months then.

You are just being categorically stubborn, to no purpose. If about a third of the first team is from the Jong PSV, then your "I highly doubt" is poorly founded.

Or maybe you are confusing PSV with TFC or some other club where reserves are buried. 

No club with a quality reserve side outright denies a player on the 2nd team cannot make the first team. They have injuries, cup matches, the manager wants to create a bit of competition, they need to add value to a player, and so on. In all these sides the 2nd team players are moved into training with the first team, so they get a look.

We've just been cited on a post on the board (Arfield think it was) how Dundee are playing with teens up from their second team. Barcelona is playing with teens as well, from the B team or u-19s. Totally different systems. But where you will find one of the highest % in the world of academy players making first teams is the Netherlands. 

Make no mistake: they could easily beat Flores's Arsenal u-18, and probably make a match vs. Sporting 23 or a modest club in Serbia like Radnicki Nis. The whole point of their existence is to be ready for first team call-ups.

8 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Look.  I was just making an observation that the Dutch second division doesn’t look that great.  I wasn’t saying anything about Colyn or his prospects.  Take a chill pill guys. 

It's not great. VVV lost 13-0 to Ajax last year. 😅🤣

And that was in Tier 1. VVV is now in Tier 2, thankfully.

Edited by Hawkguy

55 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Look.  I was just making an observation that the Dutch second division doesn’t look that great.  I wasn’t saying anything about Colyn or his prospects.  Take a chill pill guys. 

It wasn't a comment entirely related to your post. Just an annoying trend that happens frequently on these boards.

For example, 45 minutes into Tajons debut, several people called the opponent USL/below MLS level. They are a mid table Belgian league team with multiple internationals. Why the constant need to degrade our players achievements?

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It wasn't a comment entirely related to your post. Just an annoying trend that happens frequently on these boards.

For example, 45 minutes into Tajons debut, several people called the opponent USL/below MLS level. They are a mid table Belgian league team with multiple internationals. Why the constant need to degrade our players achievements?

Brugge plays with a couple guys on the Belgian national team.

Currently ranked #1, but we are not interested in rankings I guess. 

Look, I too used to watch Netherlands top flight and found it slow-ish and the defending not tight. It shocked me. Then I watch 5th tier in Spain and it looks right to me, because I am used to it and watch in small stadiums.

But as I say, these are perceptions. MLS looks amazingly sloppy except the 3-4 best teams. It is tactically closer to Championship, but if you like all that running up and down as if they all had, according to Norm MacDonald, the worst professional in the world (assistant crack whore), then you may think it is exciting and someone else might be irked as hell

• 1 month later...

Colyn and Brym in Dutch 2nd tier, both gettting goals.

Simon is younger and is on the B team of a major club, so that is his upside. Brym, well his team just might promote to top flight.

I'd like to see another twenty Canadians in similar situations in Europe, young guys getting minutes in solid lower tiers with chances to move up.

Starting again in a match against Den Haag. Currently up 1-0 at the half. I went through the lineup and see that 5 of the starters have appeared in the bench st some point this year with the senior team. I wonder if he will get that opportunity this season. PSV is however, still in the race for the championship so they can't really afford to bring up alot of youth for any games.