Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Starting again in a match against Den Haag. Currently up 1-0 at the half. I went through the lineup and see that 5 of the starters have appeared in the bench st some point this year with the senior team. I wonder if he will get that opportunity this season. PSV is however, still in the race for the championship so they can't really afford to bring up alot of youth for any games.

Two questions come to mind:

1. Is his loan technically with PSV or Jong PSV?
  2. Would this make a difference when it comes to playing for the PSV senior team?

14 hours ago, frmr said:

You could generally say that about most goals, worldies notwithstanding.

15 hours ago, An Observer said:

Is it only me or does he look like he has gotten bigger.  
tbh, with better defending, he doesnt score that. His first touch wasn’t very good

Yes I always love the "if the defending was better" argument. My dude when it comes to most goals if the defending was better they wouldn't happen🤣

On 3/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, VinceA said:

Yes I always love the "if the defending was better" argument. My dude when it comes to most goals if the defending was better they wouldn't happen🤣

I love it when someone takes an ambitious shot that misses the net and people say (I probably do it sometimes too) that if that was on net that would have been an amazing goal. The assumption being that if it was on net it would have been perfectly placed at the nearest corner that they missed, rather than straight at the keeper or something. So yes, if the shot was perfect it would have been perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

He was not in Jong PSV lineup today. He could have picked up an injury (but I couldn't find any information about that). Or he could be in the 1st teams game tomorrow.

Several of his Jong teammates that regularly make the first team bench were playing for Jong today.

Game is at 1245 against Twente tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it.

Did not make the squad. Must be injured.

Edited by Stryker911

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Scored today for Jong PSV in a 1-1 draw with FC Dordrecht.  Not going to pretend I am following them/him closely but it seems like he pops up often enough on the score sheet to be encouraged.  

Both Colyn and Brym are doing reasonably well this year in Dutch 2nd. 

Only difference is that the latter is almost exactly 3 years older than Simon. Who goes back to Whitecaps officially by June after this loan.

That's interesting that he's potentially coming back to the Whitecaps. He seems to be doing well. If he could break in to the team he could really draw a lot of attention being an attacking player and a local product. It will be interesting to see what happens but I would bet on him staying in Europe 

• 4 weeks later...

He’s got Dutch citizenship too, I hope we can cap him quickly after the WC. Not that it matters because he’s not good enough for the Dutch team and if he was, we’d be irrelevant, but I’ve had sneaky high hopes for this kid. I hope he sees top team minutes some time this season.

17 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s got Dutch citizenship too, I hope we can cap him quickly after the WC. Not that it matters because he’s not good enough for the Dutch team and if he was, we’d be irrelevant, but I’ve had sneaky high hopes for this kid. I hope he sees top team minutes some time this season.

I have faith that any Canadian kid with Dutch roots would choose Canada, even if they had the option.  

24 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Are you having a laugh? We’ve been through this already. 

I’m guessing you’re thinking of DeGuz?  He’s not Dutch.  If he had been playing in Spain for long enough to get residency, and good enough, he would have played for Spain.  Plus those were different times for the CNMT.  I’m relating Colyn to Flores, Dias and Mitrovic - there seems to be stronger pull for kids of parents from certain cultures who have not been established in Canada as long as the Dutch.

Edited by TOcanadafan

20 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Currently wiping my tears of laughter away with my Tomori CANMNT jersey 

So you’d consider someone who left Canada before the age of 1 and grew up in England Canadian?… and you’d spite him for choosing to play for England?  
Whereas you’d have no faith that a Canadian who had Dutch grand parents, who as a result has an EU passport would choose to represent Netherlands in the year 2022, where Canada ha actually become relevant on the world football stage?  Good to know that some people have no faith whatsoever.

Edited by TOcanadafan