Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I tweeted about how little time Whitecaps' prsopects get in MLS and his dad liked my tweet lmao.

The way the Whitecaps manage their prospects is very odd. They have no reserve team to speak of so their graduating players like Colyn have nowhere to build skills and experience. They are in limbo. So I kinda get how they have a hard time making the jump to the senior team. More recently, they have moved to sell or loan their prospects - which at least makes some organizational sense (I see Axel Schuster's hand in that). 

28 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

The way the Whitecaps manage their prospects is very odd. They have no reserve team to speak of so their graduating players like Colyn have nowhere to build skills and experience. They are in limbo. So I kinda get how they have a hard time making the jump to the senior team. More recently, they have moved to sell or loan their prospects - which at least makes some organizational sense (I see Axel Schuster's hand in that). 

They do have the travelling U23 development team, but no team in an actual league.

21 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Or how they have a league worst team with a league worst midfield but somehow can’t find room to fit in their most promising midfield prospect in the 18...

18 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Or how they have a league worst team with a league worst midfield but somehow can’t find room to fit in their most promising midfield prospect in the 18...

Most promising or most overhyped? Other than his debut for the caps where he looked bright I have never been impressed seeing him for Canada youth or playing in the SKSSS (albeit I am sure he wasn't hugely motivated) where I thought he would be shoulders above everyone else and he was one of the most anonymous on the pitch on either team. Might just be I was judging him harshly due to the hype?

I have certainly seen nothing to believe he should be given minutes above the other players at VWC. Not saying they shouldn't try it though, anything is worth trying for the caps given how woeful they are! Same as some of the others at TFC and Impact I would rather they get some time in the CPL than sitting as a squad player that never gets minutes. 

26 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Most promising or most overhyped? Other than his debut for the caps where he looked bright I have never been impressed seeing him for Canada youth

Gotta say, I agree with this. He was really underwhelming when I saw him with Canada and didn't see anything that warranted him being such a standout. Unless I'm catching all of his bad games, I just don't see it.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Most promising or most overhyped? Other than his debut for the caps where he looked bright I have never been impressed seeing him for Canada youth or playing in the SKSSS (albeit I am sure he wasn't hugely motivated) where I thought he would be shoulders above everyone else and he was one of the most anonymous on the pitch on either team. Might just be I was judging him harshly due to the hype?

I have certainly seen nothing to believe he should be given minutes above the other players at VWC. Not saying they shouldn't try it though, anything is worth trying for the caps given how woeful they are! Same as some of the others at TFC and Impact I would rather they get some time in the CPL than sitting as a squad player that never gets minutes. 

When I watched the 'Caps U23 side play in England last year, I wouldn't have noticed him if he hadn't had the hype of coming on as a sub for Phonz in his last MLS match. There were at least a half dozen players who looked more promising in that game. Some of the others from that squad now have first-team contracts, as well, so will probably pass him by on the depth chart. 

3 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I’m not saying Colyn has been a world beater, but the Caps midfield was terrible and aging. Why not throw him some minutes?

I don't disagree, theoretically. However, Metcalf is probably a better option for those minutes at this point.

Considering where he plays, it seems Raposo and Bair have moved ahead of him on the depth chart on the wing as that is where he would likely get minutes.  If its at 10, I think that is always a hard place for a young player to get any minutes unless they are exceptional.  Normally, they have to start on the wing and work their way in. Or go down a level or two (like to CPL) to get playing time and prove their worth before getting a chance at the 10 spot.

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't disagree, theoretically. However, Metcalf is probably a better option for those minutes at this point.

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Considering where he plays, it seems Raposo and Bair have moved ahead of him on the depth chart on the wing as that is where he would likely get minutes.

So we're saying that a '98 and two '99s are ahead of an '02 on the depth chart and because of that the kid is overhyped?  That's ridiculous.  I would expect them to be ahead of him on the depth chart with that kind of gap otherwise they shouldn't be on the team.

The issue is that this is prime development time for Colyn (and Habibullah and Pecile and Brienza and Carter and Cambridge) but he is playing absolutely zero and there is no prospect of him playing in the near future.  The Whitecaps are going to piss away an entire generation with their setup.

14 hours ago, El Hombre said:

So we're saying that a '98 and two '99s are ahead of an '02 on the depth chart and because of that the kid is overhyped?  That's ridiculous.  I would expect them to be ahead of him on the depth chart with that kind of gap otherwise they shouldn't be on the team.

i didn't say he is overhyped but just stating a fact.  Perhaps in a year or two, he will surpass them as he ages.  I think some of the disappointment here is that he was signed very young like Davies so people may have had unrealistic expectations but it also seems that his development based on the observations on here has plateaued over the last couple of years

I think physically it was a little much to ask. He just isn't/wasnt physically built like Alphonso (who is) to break in at that age. I haven't seen him play in a while so I'll wait to pass judgement until I watch him. Hopefully tomorrow 

I would point to s player like Odegaard. People said he was a big bust but is now (again) considered one of the best young players in the world. All because he couldn't break in to Real Madrids midfield at 16. Think about how ridiculous that sounds. Different players have different attributes that allows them to break out earlier or not. Look at Osorio. He developed a little later because his physical structure needed to catch up to his skills. From the little I've seen of Colyn that's actually a good comparison. He's a slight guy but likes to wiggle away from players in tight space and make things happen on the ball. I would just cut him a break and hopefully he gets minutes somewhere

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think physically it was a little much to ask. He just isn't/wasnt physically built like Alphonso (who is) to break in at that age. I haven't seen him play in a while so I'll wait to pass judgement until I watch him. Hopefully tomorrow 

I would point to s player like Odegaard. People said he was a big bust but is now (again) considered one of the best young players in the world. All because he couldn't break in to Real Madrids midfield at 16. Think about how ridiculous that sounds. Different players have different attributes that allows them to break out earlier or not. Look at Osorio. He developed a little later because his physical structure needed to catch up to his skills. From the little I've seen of Colyn that's actually a good comparison. He's a slight guy but likes to wiggle away from players in tight space and make things happen on the ball. I would just cut him a break and hopefully he gets minutes somewhere

Even Phonz wasn't built like Phonz at 16.

47 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I would more accept this line of argument if he was seen to dominate at his age group or thereabouts.  It seems from those that have seen him at that level recently he has not stood out.  Anyway, I hope you are right.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I still don’t understand how they thought their USL team wasn’t worth the investment when it had already helped produce a 20 million dollar transfer (or whatever the Davies money was).

They folded the team before they sold Davies and I don't think anyone here would have thought they were getting $20 million or so when he first arrived.  And let's be honest, they really didn't develop Davies much.  He was a generational talent that burned through their academy system.  Otherwise, USL team or not their residency program has basically been a failure in developing players for them.  It's done a good job of stocking the CPL though.

21 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They folded the team before they sold Davies and I don't think anyone here would have thought they were getting $20 million or so when he first arrived.  And let's be honest, they really didn't develop Davies much.  He was a generational talent that burned through their academy system.  Otherwise, USL team or not their residency program has basically been a failure in developing players for them.  It's done a good job of stocking the CPL though.

Sure, they hadn’t sold him yet, but he was what, just turned 17 years old and had made nearly 50 appearances for the senior team. People at that time likely weren’t thinking he would go to Bayern Munich for $20 million in a year, but people already thought he would be sold to Europe in the next few years. He didn’t play much for the reserve team, but he got his feet wet there and it should still serve as notice that it could be useful. They only had the team for 3 seasons. What were they expecting to churn out in that time?

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

They only had the team for 3 seasons. What were they expecting to churn out in that time?

More than one player total, I would think.  And it also always sounds like they legitimately thought they'd get good crowds out to it, and instead took some larger losses they weren't prepared for.  But even then, let's not forget that before selling the team entirely they attempted to relocate it to Calgary and were blocked by the CSA as the CPL was in progress.  I'm not saying that was a bad move by the CSA, and just that they didn't entirely give up on it after 3 seasons.

• 1 month later...