Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

So you’d consider someone who left Canada before the age of 1 and grew up in England Canadian?… and you’d spite him for choosing to play for England?  
Whereas you’d have no faith that a Canadian who had Dutch grand parents, who as a result has an EU passport would choose to represent Netherlands in the year 2022, where Canada ha actually become relevant on the world football stage?  Good to know that some people have no faith whatsoever.

I’m not spiting him, I’m just pointing out the reality that if you have citizenship to a nation with one of the best soccer teams in the world, that draw can, and often does jeopardize the player’s chances to play for Canada. You can rationalize why Tomori chose England, why Flores chose Mexico, why Hargreaves chose England, why De Guzman chose the Netherlands, so on, so forth, but the fact remains that if those guys were all dual Canadian-East Timorese, they’d all play for Canada, but they all had an opportunity to play for top nations, and took it. 

I’m not going to speculate on whether Simon Colyn is a patriotic Canadian or whether that even matters, just pointing out that if the Netherlands ever offered him a spot on their NT, there would be a good chance that he, like most players, would take it.

on the other hand, I don’t even think Scott Arfield ever even lived in Canada, yet we’d all love for a starting player on a Europa league finals qualified squad to rejoin our national team. Players will play for the team that gives them the best opportunity, not because something in their heart tells them that the right thing to do is not to commit to the team that has a shot to go deep in the World Cup, or in the Euros or whatever. 

anyways, all of this is moot considering I don’t think Colyn is remotely close to getting a Netherlands call up, and if he did, he risks being a deep depth piece, so I don’t know that that’s a particularly enticing draw, so unless he suddenly becomes a PSV superstar, I think he’ll ultimately play for Canada.

Edited by InglewoodJack

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

I remember that PSV have wanted him for years which then annoys me that Vancouver sent him to waste away at SPAL during the 2020-21 campaign.

Imagine he had gone straight to Jong PSV.

Vancouver didn't send him anywhere, that was Colyn and his agent that went to SPAL and PSV wasn't on the table that season..  Vancouver doesn't decide loan destinations, they are notorious for not even helping to provide options for those that need them.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, narduch said:

Good enough for PSV. Not good enough for Whitecaps 

I'm not even sure you can blame the Whitecaps here.  They knew he wasn't ready for MLS, and they worked to get him in to some good loan spots first in Italy and then in the Neatherlands.  I would assume that a buy clause might be pretty standard in this type of a loan, and Colyn has seized the opportunity.  Everybody wins.

Hola canadiennes !!!  Perdon pero a este pibe Colyn, lo tiene Herdman que convocar YA.  This kid seems tremendous talent, The bolter pour La Canadà.   He seems so assured, and talent.  You cant leave this trenendous talent out.

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If he gets regular season minutes with the PSV first team, is this going to turn into a case of "cap tie now"?

This doesn't really answer your question, but one of the shittiest part of blowing that Nations League waterpark adventure to Honduras is the fact that we actually need a result against them and it can't just be a 2026 cycle cap-tie party like we all were hoping for

But yes, considering we've been bringing Brym along for a few call-ups if Colyn breaks into the first team he deserves to be in the discussion for a call up post World Cup.

11 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

This doesn't really answer your question, but one of the shittiest part of blowing that Nations League waterpark adventure to Honduras is the fact that we actually need a result against them and it can't just be a 2026 cycle cap-tie party like we all were hoping for

But yes, considering we've been bringing Brym along for a few call-ups if Colyn breaks into the first team he deserves to be in the discussion for a call up post World Cup.

That touches on what I was getting at for sure.

What I was actually thinking though was that Netherlands could come sniffing if he becomes something of a regular at PSV. Or more likely, if he gets spot minutes here or there it could motivate him to hold out for the Netherlands, even if they don't have interest. The Dutch don't call players 18-21 on a team like PSV, just the top players, but if you're Colyn you would be gunning to eventually be a top player at the club, and with that comes the real possibility of a Dutch call. 

As a west coaster I try my best to be a Whitecaps supporter but it’s kind of ridiculous that Teibet, Hasal, Davies and Adekugbe are the only academy players to really break in to the first team… Even Adekugbe only had 16 appearances and then got injured and couldn’t get back in to the line up ahead of I think it was Harvey in his 30’s? I guess Baldi has already made 43 appearances but I really doesn’t feel like it. Am I missing anyone else? We would rather buy young players from other countries and lose with them I guess…

I think its tough for teenagers to break in to an MLS team in a skilled position or if their best attributes are skill and technique. If Teibert was 10 years younger he would have never got the opportunities he received. It's a different league now. I think people just need to accept that players will take different routes.  every situation is different, every player is different 

43 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

As a west coaster I try my best to be a Whitecaps supporter but it’s kind of ridiculous that Teibet, Hasal, Davies and Adekugbe are the only academy players to really break in to the first team… Even Adekugbe only had 16 appearances and then got injured and couldn’t get back in to the line up ahead of I think it was Harvey in his 30’s? I guess Baldi has already made 43 appearances but I really doesn’t feel like it. Am I missing anyone else? We would rather buy young players from other countries and lose with them I guess…

Kianz Froese was on the cusp but couldn’t quite make the jump before moving on. It seems like MLS era Whitecaps have always struggled to retain players into their early 20s even. They always seem to ask for a move before they’re actually ready to contribute 

Whitecaps academy players don't pan out = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps academy players pan out = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps play academy players and lose = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps don't play academy players = Whitecaps suck

Meanwhile... TFC & Imapct have developed zero players anywhere under any circumstances 

It's been 15 years and TFC's claim to fame is Doneil Henry

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Whitecaps academy players don't pan out = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps academy players pan out = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps play academy players and lose = Whitecaps suck

Whitecaps don't play academy players = Whitecaps suck

Meanwhile... TFC & Imapct have developed zero players anywhere under any circumstances 

It's been 15 years and TFC's claim to fame is Doneil Henry

If I were a real Whitecaps supporter I would be jealous of what TFC are doing right now with their young players. I’m more of a Canadian player supporter so I just watch and cheer for all Canadian MLS teams now. Also the way the Whitecaps handled Camilo was kind of disheartening…

4 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

Was Metcalfe an academy player? He played with a local amateur team beforehand, but unsure if he spent any time with the academy or reserves.