Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well I am really hoping he finds his groove and lands somewhere solid.  And not just because I bought all of these…

9A3EC513-DE1E-4D9B-9C85-C80415401511.jpeg

Lol!

It makes me think of these parents who pump tons of money into "chasing the dream" for their kids' sports (mainly hockey, but also soccer via the pay-to-play route, as well as baseball, basketball  and others).  Just curious:  do you have a bunch of Georges Mukumbilwa rookie cards, too?

25 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

He didn't impress enough the first time he trained at PSV and I'm not sure he's done nearly enough at SPAL to go play in Jong PSV.  

If I'm a betting man, I think he gets released at the end of the season by Caps, unfortunately.

According to Glass city like last year, PSV and WFC didn’t come to terms on the fee, but that he had impressed.

I don’t see why they’d have him back to train again if he didn’t impress enough, also they’ve been after him for awhile. Last I heard he was doing well at SPAL.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Lol!

It makes me think of these parents who pump tons of money into "chasing the dream" for their kids' sports (mainly hockey, but also soccer via the pay-to-play route, as well as baseball, basketball  and others).  Just curious:  do you have a bunch of Georges Mukumbilwa rookie cards, too?

No rookie card yet but if he earns one I will grab it…

Re the Colyn cards, I kind of went overboard on the Bowman set (it had rookies for Colyn, Raposo, Bair, Okello, Shaffelburg, Nelson, Marshall-Rutty and Buchanan).  I had some work to do to get caught up on past cards (still tons to get) but am making a point of getting any new ones I become aware of as they come out.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

No rookie card yet but if he earns one I will grab it…

Re the Colyn cards, I kind of went overboard on the Bowman set (it had rookies for Colyn, Raposo, Bair, Okello, Shaffelburg, Nelson, Marshall-Rutty and Buchanan).  I had some work to do to get caught up on past cards (still tons to get) but am making a point of getting any new ones I become aware of as they come out.  

I have his card in SoRare. I have some doubt that it will ever score me any fantasy points.

tinified-85ed9515b5d5050babc75c8a63c468cc.thumb.png.e541d21a6e26b8174dba6d5a753ee21b.png

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

According to Glass city like last year, PSV and WFC didn’t come to terms on the fee, but that he had impressed.

I don’t see why they’d have him back to train again if he didn’t impress enough, also they’ve been after him for awhile. Last I heard he was doing well at SPAL.

Not true unfortunately.  They didn't even have to buy him, they had an option to loan him as well but they didn't.  They would have been ecstatic to get a loan with option to buy for a very nominal fee similar to what they've got with Pecile.  The Dutch passport will definitely give the kid some options, I hope he finds the right level for him.

Playing in 13/28 matches he was in the roster for at SPAL is very telling, they are not a top side by any means at the Primavera level.  

10 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Not true unfortunately.  They didn't even have to buy him, they had an option to loan him as well but they didn't.  They would have been ecstatic to get a loan with option to buy for a very nominal fee similar to what they've got with Pecile.  The Dutch passport will definitely give the kid some options, I hope he finds the right level for him.

Playing in 13/28 matches he was in the roster for at SPAL is very telling, they are not a top side by any means at the Primavera level.  

Hmm, I wasn’t sure what happened except that a few wasn’t agreed upon.

I can’t read into 13/28 so much during covid, when did the bulk of those games come ? 

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Hmm, I wasn’t sure what happened except that a few wasn’t agreed upon.

I can’t read into 13/28 so much during covid, when did the bulk of those games come ? 

What would covid have to do with it?  He had one decent run of games but even in those games he averaged around 45 mins.  He was dressed and rostered in all of those 28.

Don’t read too much into his Spal excursion, Canadians in Italy don’t have a good track record , I’m starting to think Italy is a lost cause for Canadian players unfortunately for whatever reason like I alluded to in another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

MLS is not an easy league for an 18yr old who is 140lbs soaking wet. Say what you want about the caliber of play or the skill level but its definitely an athletic league. I wouldn't call it a rough league but maybe a physical league.

For instance I just watched that 17 yr old who is getting hyped with San Jose. I didn't really see much but a man child. Not saying he isn't a propect but it was his physical gifts that seemed to be his biggest attribute 

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

For instance I just watched that 17 yr old who is getting hyped with San Jose. I didn't really see much but a man child. Not saying he isn't a propect but it was his physical gifts that seemed to be his biggest attribute 

Big, strong kid with a good set of wheels, for sure.  Curious to see how the rest of his game translates going forward.

Personally don't buy the rumors that Vancouver is asking for too much.  He has one option year left on his deal (2022) so there would be no need to negotiate an option to purchase for PSV seeing as how he would be free the year after.  There was no loan fee with SPAL and there wouldn't be with PSV seeing as how he'd be playing U21 football.  Whitecaps would have to re-sign him to a longer deal in order to make any transfer money (Similar to Dante Sealy loan), but they clearly don't value him for the 1st team so can't see them wanting to offer a new deal.

The quickest and easiest way for Caps to make money here is to not pick up his 2022 option and collect Training Compensation from whatever team picks him up.  If it's a name like PSV, they will ask for the full amount which could be in the range of a couple hundred thousand $$$ and could ultimately put them off because the player no longer becomes a risk free asset that they can try for a season.

Edited by Footyeh

9 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Personally don't buy the rumors that Vancouver is asking for too much.  He has one option year left on his deal (2022) so there would be no need to negotiate an option to purchase for PSV seeing as how he would be free the year after.  There was no loan fee with SPAL and there wouldn't be with PSV seeing as how he'd be playing U21 football.  Whitecaps would have to re-sign him to a longer deal in order to make any transfer money (Similar to Dante Sealy loan), but they clearly don't value him for the 1st team so can't see them wanting to offer a new deal.

The quickest and easiest way for Caps to make money here is to not pick up his 2022 option and collect Training Compensation from whatever team picks him up.  If it's a name like PSV, they will ask for the full amount which could be in the range of a couple hundred thousand $$$ and could ultimately put them off because the player no longer becomes a risk free asset that they can try for a season.

This seems to make the most sense and it seems tbh like PSV always rated him higher than the Caps did. He was like with a Everdise move for years, he’s pretty obviously being held back by the Whitecaps but the skill is there.

14 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The team that gave him his first team debut at 16 and then allowed him to go on loans and trials in Europe for free is obviously holding him back?

There were long periods of time where he was available and Vancouver were pretty crappy but never opted to use him.

I really hope there's a deep dive on him and others from the academy that looks on how they feel the Academy worked for them and their experiences on the first team. I figure there's a lot of frustration from a number of generations.

Particularly when you look at the valuations/transfers of players coming out of academies with similar histories. FC Dallas for example: Justin Che, Dante Sealy, Ricardo Pepi,, Tanner Tessman, Bryan Reynolds, etc. The main difference in all cases is playing time. Caps are always confused about who they are and who they want to be.

59 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Caps are always confused about who they are and who they want to be.

One thing they are not confused about is marketing their brand via their own academy system.  It is a gateway to a shot at a soccer career:  you can see that with their grads of moving on to Usports and NCAA, CPL and other pro leagues abroad.  

Question:  if your kid is goood enough for their residency program, does the team pay the full bill?

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

There were long periods of time where he was available and Vancouver were pretty crappy but never opted to use him.

I really hope there's a deep dive on him and others from the academy that looks on how they feel the Academy worked for them and their experiences on the first team. I figure there's a lot of frustration from a number of generations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that next to none of the former Whitecaps prospects that didn't make a lasting impression on the first team actually went on to make it at an equal or higher level. At this point, Colyn is just one in a long list. Let's hope he's an exception (or that I'm totally wrong)