Herdman new head coach

matty

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder where that interview was done, and when. Did Ballou fly back for it? Did they do it quite a while ago? Does anyone know the person doing the interview?

Trying to figure out when the decision might have been made.

This crossed my mind as well. Certainly isn't the case that Ballou rang up Herdman and said OK out of the blue. The CSA made a meal of it on purpose.

Logically, it would have to have been done after the USVI match. You'd have to conclude that that match/camp had some impact on Tabla's decision. But as for the interview itself, I am very curious if they went to Spain or if Tabla came back. Flying him back for a two minute interview seems ridiculous, but so does sending a crew to Spain.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder where that interview was done, and when. Did Ballou fly back for it? Did they do it quite a while ago? Does anyone know the person doing the interview?

In the Tabla thread @GlassCityFC gave a heads up with a pic of Davies & Tabla at the end of July...stating it's all good. Presumably the CSA knew about this 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was done by Max Bell. He flew to Barcelona last week.

Edited by RS

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Herdman’s patient approach lead to Tabla windfall for Canada

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

I give credit to Herdman for getting Tabla but I find this interview totally unprofessional and worrying. What is the purpose of this interview other than for Herdman to say: LOOK EVERYONE, I DID THIS! And then talking about everything he did to convince Tabla is really unprofessional, it is like seducing a girl and then she reads on Facebook the next day you explaining to your friends how you did it. If I were Tabla I would not be too happy about this. And now if Kadioglu wants to see what Herdman's approach is going to be with him all he has to do is read it in this article. If a coach is doing something right, the intelligent thing to do is to shut up about it and keep doing what you are doing privately without revealing your methods to anyone. Herdman needs to stop with this excessive self promotion, it will not be good for the team. If he gets results he gets results and I will be happy but it does bother me that everytime I hear him open his mouth I feel like I am listening to a snake oil salesman. And many of the articles about him seem to have a dictatorship propaganda "Our Dear Leader" press release feel. Count me as still a Herdman skeptic, I think we have better players now and coming up so that will give us an advantage but I still don't feel we are in good hands and won't feel that until we are walking out of places like San Pedro Sula with 3 points.

1506007496.png

Edited by Grizzly

On 7/20/2018 at 11:17 AM, Bison44 said:

If you didnt read it how do you know it will fail??? You take the time to post 10 times about an article you didnt read.  WHen it would have been quicker to read it and post once.  Do you see why everyone is ignoring you?  Do you really want to be part of the discussion, no one will give any credence to what you say if you continue like this.

I have him on ignore, and I never do that, not even for @Grizzly ?

22 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I give credit to Herdman for getting Tabla but I find this interview totally unprofessional and worrying. What is the purpose of this interview other than for Herdman to say: LOOK EVERYONE, I DID THIS! And then talking about everything he did to convince Tabla is really unprofessional, it is like seducing a girl and then she reads on Facebook the next day you explaining to your friends how you did it. If I were Tabla I would not be too happy about this. And now if Kadioglu wants to see what Herdman's approach is going to be with him all he has to do is read it in this article. If a coach is doing something right, the intelligent thing to do is to shut up about it and keep doing what you are doing privately without revealing your methods to anyone. Herdman needs to stop with this excessive self promotion, it will not be good for the team. If he gets results he gets results and I will be happy but it does bother me that everytime I hear him open his mouth I feel like I am listening to a snake oil salesman. And many of the articles about him seem to have a dictatorship propaganda "Our Dear Leader" press release feel. Count me as still a Herdman skeptic, I think we have better players now and coming up so that will give us an advantage but I still don't feel we are in good hands and won't feel that until we are walking out of places like San Pedro Sula with 3 points.

1506007496.png

Herdman is all about growing his brand. It's all about him. 

In the roster graphic they released for the Virgin Islands game, his photo was included right along with the players, as if he was a player too.  Ridiculous. 

He is giving way too many interviews that seem to be aimed at just growing his brand.  It's about the players.  I want to hear from the players.  

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

In the roster graphic they released for the Virgin Islands game, his photo was included right along with the players, as if he was a player too.  Ridiculous. 

He is giving way too many interviews that seem to be aimed at just growing his brand.  It's about the players.  I want to hear from the players.  

This is the one. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous? 

IMG_20180928_221421.png

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Or because he’s a somewhat recognizable name and face in Canadian sports he’s trying to get out there and build the CanMNT brand? Either way it’s good for the program to have this much publicity, we’ve never had it before.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Or because he’s a somewhat recognizable name and face in Canadian sports he’s trying to get out there and build the CanMNT brand? Either way it’s good for the program to have this much publicity, we’ve never had it before.

Maybe and your probably right. The one thing the CSA has been doing well recently is getting more out there with videos, interviews,Q&As etc. I hope they can breakout more with TSN, Sportnet and CBC, mainstream media. But it should be more about the players and their stories and their careers. That mini doc about Davies was  incredible. Arfield, Millar, Hoilett , Borjan, Cavallini etc, should be house hold name in Canadian sports. There is a risk with herdman becoming the face and all about him ( that pisses me off a little because he’s fake as fuck) because what if he pisses off the CSA or shits the bed hard or gets in a fight with a star player or just takes off for a better job ( he has already shown he has no  loyalty and not afraid to use blackmail, I hope people don’t forget that! He said give me the men’s team or I walk to England in the middle of getting ready for the women’s World Cup)

Edited by SpecialK

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

TBF to him, managers are often the most interesting characters and as a result often included in marketing aspects. I do think he's got an ego but I also think that's at play here in many ways.

13 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't think this will ever stop bugging me about Herdman, but the truth is many great managers of big clubs have had massive egos.  Right now what is good for Canada is good for Herdman, and he is a highly motivated individual, whether or not he is highly motivated for all the reasons we would like.

He'll be judged ultimately by the players he attracts to the program and the results he gets.  

To be honest I think we need a manager who is a bit of a salesman because in spite of our young talent our national soccer team is still barely a blip on the radar of the sports landscape for the vast majority of Canadians.  If Herdman selling himself puts us out there and gets our CMNT talked about, it's a win-win.  This team needs someone promoting the hell out of it, we need to be selling out CMNT home games by the time WCQ rolls around, and we need CMNT back on national TV and getting respectable ratings.

Possibly if he goes too far in his self-promotion he'll start to lose some players in terms of buying in.  But so far it sounds like players are buying in to his vision and I think if he gets results that will continue, regardless of how many interviews he does.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe and your probably right. The one thing the CSA has been doing well recently is getting more out there with videos, interviews,Q&As etc. I hope they can breakout more with TSN, Sportnet and CBC, mainstream media. But it should be more about the players and their stories and their careers. That mini doc about Davies was  incredible. Arfield, Millar, Hoilett , Borjan, Cavallini etc, should be house hold name in Canadian sports. There is a risk with herdman becoming the face and all about him ( that pisses me off a little because he’s fake as fuck) because what if he pisses off the CSA or shits the bed hard or gets in a fight with a star player or just takes off for a better job ( he has already shown he has no  loyalty and not afraid to use blackmail, I hope people don’t forget that! He said give me the men’s team or I walk to England in the middle of getting ready for the women’s World Cup)

I for one will give zero shits as long as the team wins. 

Yeah, and the bottom line is that he won't do much for his brand if he shits the bed with one of the most talented player pools we have ever had.  He got solid results with our women's team wth a world class player and a really strong supporting cast.  What he does with the men's team in the next few years will have a huge impact on his own prospects going forward.  And if he manages to do well and my biggest complaint is that he gets his face on a few posters, I am not too worried about it.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:42 AM, SpecialK said:

There is a risk with herdman becoming the face and all about him ( that pisses me off a little because he’s fake as fuck) because what if he pisses off the CSA or shits the bed hard or gets in a fight with a star player or just takes off for a better job ( he has already shown he has no  loyalty and not afraid to use blackmail, I hope people don’t forget that! He said give me the men’s team or I walk to England in the middle of getting ready for the women’s World Cup)

He has been with the CSA for what, 8 or 9 years? And you think he is a bigger risk to piss them off than anyone else we would hire? In that same time has he ever gotten in a fight with a star player? If he has I don’t remember it.

As for leaving for a better job, sure he did that with the women’s team, but he could have done it a lot sooner (I don’t remember the details) and besides, why should a manager show loyalty when they are never returned the favour? They are always the first to be fired if things don’t go great. 

Oh come on, Herdman isn't a graphic designer, and you just know the CSA is banking on his name/face recognition from 2015 as they try to make the men's team a household name too.

I didn't watch the video (at work) but from reading Herdman's interview, I actually like that kind of transparency. For so long we wondered what kind of scouting and reaching out to players the CSA did, but deep down we know they weren't actually doing anything... now we have a coach who's on canucksabroad, in regular contact with prospects, and keeps us updated.

WTF am I doing, defending the CSA and Herdman?? That 8-0 must have done something to me...

Herdman said in an interview to expect Squad Rotation for November and talked about the goalkeeper situation giving out of form and youngsters a chance. That they’ll need to improve that position should they want to be at Qatar 2022

“we are in a situation where we already know who is our number one goalkeeper (Milan Borjan) and we want to offer the opportunity for other young people to assert themselves in the role of number two and three. "

Edited by Thomas

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:45 AM, matty said:

TBF to him, managers are often the most interesting characters and as a result often included in marketing aspects. I do think he's got an ego but I also think that's at play here in many ways.

Also to be fair to him he's got a point as well as a point to prove

Previous coaches couldn't get or keep Hargreaves, Begovic, De Guzman, Bunbury, Fernandes and other lesser prospects/players in the fold or only managed to secure participation of guys like Vitoria or Grande et al once it was clear that their ambitions weren't supported by their actual abilities

And after predictions that players wouldn't even show simply because he used to coach women, playing a part (large or small) in getting a much ballyhooed prospect to commit (a Barcelona one to boot) at a relatively young age, he can have it