Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

Once Herdman wins something significant, players will be interested and committed.  His empty words and promises won't cut it.

And what he has been saying has been nothing but fluff but at the end of the day what matters is getting results and the Nations League will be evidence of whether or not to believe in Herdman as a manager

Sean Fleming says that Coaching education is the key to getting Canada back to FIFA World Cup.  

As much as this is true I firmly believe that natural talent and athleticism of players is just as true or maybe even more so than a key to coaching education.  How many of past and present great players were made what they are by coaches or just arrived into the world of soccer with natural talent they grew up with since their early years.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We were talking about him questioning the motives of players..the ones that are only there to further their carer and didnt care about canada.   Not getting them to play their best like a coach of a tim bits 5 and under team.  

I would argue that playing your best would include answering the call when it comes, and doing everything you can to help the team win, including trying to carry out the coach’s plan like a professional. If you are doing those things Herdman probably doesn’t care a whole lot if you are doing it for the maple leaf or for the money

6 hours ago, The Ref said:

Sean Fleming says that Coaching education is the key to getting Canada back to FIFA World Cup.  

As much as this is true I firmly believe that natural talent and athleticism of players is just as true or maybe even more so than a key to coaching education.  How many of past and present great players were made what they are by coaches or just arrived into the world of soccer with natural talent they grew up with since their early years.

Because let's face it it is true especially if Canada wants to be at the World Cup but wants to be at future World Cups going forward. I mean Canada obviously has the talent now or talent breaking in but having the right manager in charge to lead that talent with the right coaching philosophy to add to that culture will obviously take Canada far.

15 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

TG11, that is the exact same article that we were talking about on Tuesday when it came out (link at yahoo sports),  You had the link in one of your  posts.  DID YOU READ IT THEN OR NOW??  Sorry to be a dick but take 2 minutes and read something instead of posting ok??

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

TG11, that is the exact same article that we were talking about on Tuesday when it came out (link at yahoo sports),  You had the link in one of your  posts.  DID YOU READ IT THEN OR NOW??  Sorry to be a dick but take 2 minutes and read something instead of posting ok??

Well never had the chance to really read it until now but I am sure you meant to be on purpose forget it yeah you did but that's neither here nor there is it but even so the game plan thinking about it now it is doomed to fail

Edited by Tg11

If you didnt read it how do you know it will fail??? You take the time to post 10 times about an article you didnt read.  WHen it would have been quicker to read it and post once.  Do you see why everyone is ignoring you?  Do you really want to be part of the discussion, no one will give any credence to what you say if you continue like this.

1 hour ago, Vic said:

I don't buy this study. I mean Spain just had a bad tournament. If you took this from 2008-2012, studies would tell you otherwise. Also, Spain's national anthem doesn't have lyrics, so how do you evaluate passion when you can't really sing it?

It's like hey Spain had a bad tournament, they don't sign their national anthem that has no lyrics, so that is probably why they failed.

All I know is when choosing a spouse you would hope he or she choose you because of love and not because you can give her or him a bigger house or better car. The one with love will stick around and fight to get things right during the bad times unlike the other one who will dump you as soon as the money is gone. I would think the same applies to teammates.

Isnt this all a slippery slope to get into? Especially when so many are advocating bringing in duals that have repped other countries at the youth level and go to other countries camps??  Seems to me if if we are going for passion and love of canada, you can stop chasing anyone who has pulled on another countries jersey.  

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Isnt this all a slippery slope to get into? Especially when so many are advocating bringing in duals that have repped other countries at the youth level and go to other countries camps??  Seems to me if if we are going for passion and love of canada, you can stop chasing anyone who has pulled on another countries jersey.  

I think that Arfield has played with a lot of passion in a CMNT shirt. I get what you are saying and it does have merit, but it all depends on the individual. Many would say that Will Johnson is not committed but when he has played for Canada he leaves everything on the field. Hopefully JH will be able to sift the wheat from the chaff.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Herdman’s patient approach lead to Tabla windfall for Canada

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

That is a good read.  Insofar as it is accurate (and I have no reason to think it isn't) it does sound like Herman played a pretty big role in bringing Tabla on board.  Good to hear.  Let's hope his tactical acumen matches his psychological skills.  If so, no will remember a thing about Zambrano in a year or two.

42 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Herdman’s patient approach lead to Tabla windfall for Canada

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

In the article he mentioned that the players that he’s going for appear on Canucks Abroad’s feed on Twitter 

This basically confirms that he’s interested in any player that will make us better but not only that, to continue what was started 

Obviously Herdman knew about Ferreira, Tomori, Gutierrez, Estauquio and now Kadioglu 

But others as well and that’s great, exactly what we want! Now he can track even more faces that (and let’s be honest here) The CSA would have not had a clue about that existed in the first place!! 

Canada has 1 General Manager, 1 Head of Development, 1 Director of Player Development, And No scouting Network when other countries/FA’s have far more 

that’s what happens, players go “missing” but in fact they just went un noticed and should have been in the radar 

Haven’t a few players gotten called up because of discussions had on here? At the Voyagers forums 

Such as maybe when CSA monitored this site and found out about Jayson Leutwiler (Im sure there’s more examples) 

Usually this is the place where you find out about which players are eligible for CAN who otherwise you would not if you were in the main area 

Edited by Thomas

4 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

In the article he mentioned that the players that he’s going for appear on Canucks Abroad’s feed on Twitter 

This basically confirms that he’s interested in any player that will make us better but not only that, to continue what was started 

Obviously Herdman knew about Ferreira, Tomori, Gutierrez, Estauquio and now Kadioglu 

But others as well and that’s great, exactly what we want! Now he can track even more faces that (and let’s be honest here) The CSA would have not had a clue about that existed in the first place!! 

Canada has 1 General Manager, 1 Head of Development, 1 Director of Player Development, And No scouting Network when other countries/FA’s have far more 

that’s what happens, players go “missing” but in fact they just went un noticed and should have been in the radar

A player the CSA is unaware of is extremely rare.   They can't play in these places without the CSA knowing. The whole thing is not a free market free for all even at the lowest levels.  

2 minutes ago, admin said:

A players the CSA is unaware of is extremely rare.   They can't play in these places without the CSA knowing. The whole thing is not a free market free for all even at the lowest levels.  

Not talking about youth or grassroots soccer, you have to register for that and so they have your information at a young age

I’m talking about Players who have a passport/Canadian citizenship that are playing professionally around the globe 

5 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Not talking about youth or grassroots soccer, you have to register for that and so they have your information at a young age

I’m talking about Players who have a passport/Canadian citizenship that are playing professionally around the globe 

You also have to be cleared to play professionally.  If they are doing it on a Canadian passport, the CSA knows about it.  If someone played in Canada, then played somewhere else on another passport to skip the clearance I'm not sure that is something FIFA cares about or takes seriously or not so that is hard to say.  I guess that could happen. 

The finds are those with eligibility, but not a Canadian passport (yet) and have never played here so no clearance is required hence... they couldn't know....

5 minutes ago, admin said:

You also have to be cleared to play professionally.  If they are doing it on a Canadian passport, the CSA knows about it. 

+1

That’s good to know then, to keep the ones that played here first and have full knowledge of them 

5 minutes ago, admin said:

If someone played in Canada, then played somewhere else on another passport to skip the clearance I'm not sure that is something FIFA cares about or takes seriously or not so that is hard to say.  I guess that could happen. 

The finds are those with eligibility, but not a Canadian passport (yet) and have never played here so no clearance is required hence... they couldn't know....

That’s what I’m referring to! 

Ugghh.  Molinaro, I expect more from you!!  Herdmans patient approach, herdman gave him space, then they go on to say he had regular conversations, video chats and sent him video presentations. GEESH, that sounds like the hard sell since it was in the space of a few months.  I am pumped he is with Canada, happy for Herdman that he was able to coax Tabla over to making a decision and its a feather in his cap.  But lets face it, Tabla was one we should have had, a kid we shouldnt lose, played youth ball for us for years, playing in a CDN academy etc. I know we have lost them in the past but all things being equal a kid like him should play for us.  Funny how the article doesnt mention Biello's role, who was with Tabla in the Impact organization.  But having Davies getting a record transfer fee/appearing in NIKE ads, David emerging as a STUD in europe, the looming CPL and 2026 WC hosting gig all had to factor in as well.   Now if Herdman can snag a real "get" player with tenuous ties to canada (Kadioglu),  like Arfield was brought in out of the blue, that will be something to brag about. 

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ugghh.  Molinaro, I expect more from you!!  Herdmans patient approach, herdman gave him space, then they go on to say he had regular conversations, video chats and sent him video presentations. GEESH, that sounds like the hard sell since it was in the space of a few months.  

Lol I was reading that, and laughing at the fact he said he wasn't begging any player... But then they stated the stuff you listed, in addition to having players reach out to him.

Kudos to Herdman and his approach to get these players but there's a thin line between begging and asking. 

I dont really care if he begged or not eh?  Good result for us, good for Tabla (hope he pots a few goals), good for Herdman to get him on board.  But Herdman made all these statements about only wanting people who would give all for the flag etc, wouldnt be good PR to later admit he did alot of sweet talking etc (during his summer lull where we had no CMNT games) to get him on board and then dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back in Molinaros article.