General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't think Herdman has or will ask Laryea to get as far forward so consistently/frequently as Vanney has done (half the time for TFC he's playing higher than the right winger is, and is encouraged to do so) - at least, not against the US. Defensively, although it is perhaps not saying much given how woeful the others were on the night, Laryea was the best of TFC's 4 defenders against Colorado (and for me the most consistent performer for TFC the whole game), when he was in position defensively he was the only one not taken to the cleaners by an attacker and he was the most assured with the ball and his feet and distribution-wise. Granted he will be up against stiffer competition when we play the US but at the same time I think he gives them something else to worry about. The feel-good unexpected Canadian success story of the 2019 MLS season, as nobody (including me) was talking about him as a national team regular & answer to the right-back woes at the start of the year.

Speed kills and he has it spades more than any other defender on TFC other than maybe Mavinga.  I don't like his penchant for diving or going down so easy though.  And the refs around the league are already picking up on it.  How else would anyone explain that blatant penalty non-call from yesterday's game.

23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Speed kills and he has it spades more than any other defender on TFC other than maybe Mavinga.  I don't like his penchant for diving or going down so easy though.  And the refs around the league are already picking up on it.  How else would anyone explain that blatant penalty non-call from yesterday's game.

Just standard, run of the mill, poor officiating. It happens all the time.

24 minutes ago, Ivan said:

He barely got touched last night and flopped for like the 5th time this season, its getting annoying and he wont be getting any calls going forward. Half the time when he flops he has a clear shot on goal too which is the most frustrating part. 

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

I"m not sure which one you are referring to as there were two incidents, one in each half. The second one looked shoulder to shoulder to be honest, although I only got one look at it (the MLS website's instant replay feature didn't show it this week, preferring to focus on two Altidore incidents instead - but then they bizarrely named him man of the match so they seem somewhat obsessed with Jozy, perhaps understandably giving he's an American). He does seem to be playing for the foul rather than just taking the shot but I expect that Richie will adjust his game in due course if these calls continue to not go his way.

Edited by Gian-Luca

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

He barely got touched last night and flopped for like the 5th time this season, its getting annoying and he wont be getting any calls going forward. Half the time when he flops he has a clear shot on goal too which is the most frustrating part. 

The worst part is, he got rewarded for a couple of those dives earlier in the season.  And now once he gets into the box, it looks like he is thinking penalty rather than finishing the run, creating a scoring chance etc.  Still it takes all kinds, and I can sure see some CONCACAF refs falling for that.  

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I"m not sure which one you are referring to as there were two incidents, one in each half. The second one looked shoulder to shoulder to be honest, although I only got one look at it (the MLS website's instant replay feature didn't show it this week, preferring to focus on two Altidore incidents instead - but then they bizarrely named him man of the match so they seem somewhat obsessed with Jozy, perhaps understandably giving he's an American). He does seem to be playing for the foul rather than just taking the shot but I expect that Richie will adjust his game in due course if these calls continue to not go his way.

The second half one.  From where I sit, it looked like a sure push in the back.

So in Europa today it was pretty good news. 

David gets 2 in a 3-2 win.  He is a monster. 

Arfield goes the full distance in Rangers 1-0 win (subbed out at 90, but that is just clock management).  

Hutch was subbed in around 75 minutes, which is good.  Besuited coughed up 2 goals in injury time to throw away a solid result, which is bad.  

Overall pretty solid, but I feel bad for Hutch.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Arfield goes the full distance in Rangers 1-0 win (subbed out at 90, but that is just clock management).  

Hutch was subbed in around 75 minutes, which is good.  Besuited coughed up 2 goals in injury time to throw away a solid result, which is bad.  

Watching highlights now. 

Arfield should have scored, hit the post. He was almost playing as one of 3 forward or a narrow wide player.

Bekitas' keeper (Karius once of Liverpool blunders) came out and gifted one of those two late goals.  The only mitigating news is that it was away. 

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Watching highlights now. 

Arfield should have scored, hit the post. He was almost playing as one of 3 forward or a narrow wide player.

Bekitas' keeper (Karius once of Liverpool blunders) came out and gifted one of those two late goals.  The only mitigating news is that it was away. 

The goal that Karius fucked up on was the first one, I believe. It definitely wasn't one of the two injury time goals to throw away the result.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The goal that Karius ****** up on was the first one, I believe. It definitely wasn't one of the two injury time goals to throw away the result.

Cheers, my mistake.  The highlights show I was watching was pretty skimpy on the non-British games.  

At least Beskitas get struggling Wolves next at home. 

I've seen a lot of the starting CB conversation going on in other threads, and I know I'm going to get some backlash but I truly believe Edgar should be back in the starting CB picture. He's finally on a run of stable health after that horrible injury which brought him back to playing at a weird time in the season. After moving to a few clubs, I truly believe that he has his footing back and has looked so beyond solid for Forge. His challenges are such a cut above the rest of the CPL. Lets not be so quick to dismiss him, he was our clear cut number 1 CB before that injury (and he's still younger than Steven Vitoria).

I would put Edgar neck and neck with Vitoria for one of the starting spots. I was never too impressed with Vitoria in Philadelphia and he failed to play much in Poland. I admittedly haven't watched a Vitoria match this year but we're reading far too much into the fact that his team plays in a league against the likes of Porto/Benfica, he's still with a lower tier team in that league. It's like demanding we call up Charlie Trafford or Harry Paton because they get to "compete" against Celtic/Rangers in league.

The way I see it, one of our CB spots should be given to a Henry/Cornelius/James, and pair them with an Edgar/Vitoria. I like the idea of having James speed paired with one of the older guys, but I fear for his spot in the national team picture right now. 

Edited by Pottsy3

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

Charlie Trafford plays in the second tier of Scotland

Ahh for some reason thought Caley Thistle was back in the Premier.

regardless, my hyperbolic point was just that it’s rash to suggest players get called/start because of the league they play. Too many of these leagues have such disparity from top to bottom.

50 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Ahh for some reason thought Caley Thistle was back in the Premier.

regardless, my hyperbolic point was just that it’s rash to suggest players get called/start because of the league they play. Too many of these leagues have such disparity from top to bottom.

We also watched him play with Canada in the last two games... 

Steady at the back, good on the ball, solid in the air, and vulnerable to speedy attackers.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

There is a balance for me.  Playing - wherever - is the first step, in my opinion.  Davies and maybe Hoilett being the exceptions, they are players with history of producing for the national team.  Millar would be getting more of a look-in playing good minutes in Scotland, if that was not one of our strongest positions. I just was able to hear (radio) how he did (not bad at all) against Celtic and I just watched some of how Vitoria did (okay) against Benifica.  Those are legitimate tests and help you asses the player.  Good practice for how Canada has go from Cuba to the States. 

James Stamopoulos is a defender who has been solid over the past few years in the Greek 2nd tier.  In the past he was called up to the U15 and U16 Canadian camps, but this was 12 years ago.  He is now 27 years old.

I think James is more of a LB, but I am not 100 percent sure.

15 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I've seen a lot of the starting CB conversation going on in other threads, and I know I'm going to get some backlash but I truly believe Edgar should be back in the starting CB picture. He's finally on a run of stable health after that horrible injury which brought him back to playing at a weird time in the season. After moving to a few clubs, I truly believe that he has his footing back and has looked so beyond solid for Forge. His challenges are such a cut above the rest of the CPL. Lets not be so quick to dismiss him, he was our clear cut number 1 CB before that injury (and he's still younger than Steven Vitoria).

I would put Edgar neck and neck with Vitoria for one of the starting spots. I was never too impressed with Vitoria in Philadelphia and he failed to play much in Poland. I admittedly haven't watched a Vitoria match this year but we're reading far too much into the fact that his team plays in a league against the likes of Porto/Benfica, he's still with a lower tier team in that league. It's like demanding we call up Charlie Trafford or Harry Paton because they get to "compete" against Celtic/Rangers in league.

The way I see it, one of our CB spots should be given to a Henry/Cornelius/James, and pair them with an Edgar/Vitoria. I like the idea of having James speed paired with one of the older guys, but I fear for his spot in the national team picture right now. 

Unlike forward or midfield, where players are putting out strong performances one after another to try to keep their spot, CB is more of a competition that no one is really claiming as theirs.  For that reason Edgar who has played well this season and knows what it takes to be at that level shouldn't be dismissed from the conversation completely.

Henry and Cornelius make sense as the go to because they get regular time playing side by side already, but with Henry out against the US I could see a healthy, in-form Edgar called into camp.  

I don’t know if this fits in any subject or even makes sense to complain about but what pisses me off about concacaf is they have a Spanish specific twitter page yet half their content on the other page is also in Spanish. Shouldn’t the non-Spanish one be in English/French instead of Spanish as well. It’s such a stupid complaint on my part but it makes no sense to have two pages when you use Spanish on both of them.