General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

21 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Changing course here but this is probably one of the few places on earth that we can't watch our national team play on TV but we can see the likes of Serbia, Albania etc. Sad.

TSN must be pulling something.  I don’t believe that they are giving that much coverage to CMNT out of the goodness of their hearts.

37 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

TSN must be pulling something.  I don’t believe that they are giving that much coverage to CMNT out of the goodness of their hearts.

They have the Gold Cup and World Cup rights. Knowing that some of those players will be there in 2026 on the biggest stage, they're trying to talk about them right now. It's possible that they're still negotiating with OneSoccer for TV rights, but nothing has been announced.

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

They have the Gold Cup and World Cup rights. Knowing that some of those players will be there in 2026 on the biggest stage, they're trying to talk about them right now. It's possible that they're still negotiating with OneSoccer for TV rights, but nothing has been announced.

You have to think that the USA - Canada matches are going to be passed onto TSN.  Way too big to be on a subscription channel.  That might be the plan there too.

Interesting stat that I didn't know about in this article.

https://canpl.ca/article/molinaro-canada-moves-on-from-gold-cup-letdown-ahead-of-nations-league

"The Canadian men’s team is unbeaten in 14 games (with nine wins) at BMO Field, a run that dates back to 2011."

To elaborate a little bit more, the CMNT has only lost one time at BMO field against Peru in 2010. There all time record there is 9 wins, 7 draws, and 1 loss.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

Interesting stat that I didn't know about in this article.

https://canpl.ca/article/molinaro-canada-moves-on-from-gold-cup-letdown-ahead-of-nations-league

"The Canadian men’s team is unbeaten in 14 games (with nine wins) at BMO Field, a run that dates back to 2011."

To elaborate a little bit more, the CMNT has only lost one time at BMO field against Peru in 2010. There all time record there is 9 wins, 7 draws, and 1 loss.

Is there a list of teams we've played at BMO? 

4 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Is there a list of teams we've played at BMO? 

This is a great resource. It has every national team game ever, and you can filter by opponent or location (Ex: you can filter for games in "Canada" as well as in "Toronto" or "Ontario")

https://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=schedule_new.tpl&genderId=0&seasonKeyword=&tid=2068&venueKeyword=toronto&opponentTeamKeyword=&month=0&year=

P.S. It also has women's games and youth games.

Edited by Kent

On 9/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

You have to think that the USA - Canada matches are going to be passed onto TSN.  Way too big to be on a subscription channel.  That might be the plan there too.

Well, it looks like TSN will be carrying the Cuba match...but only online/app. They finally updated the Direct schedule to beyond Saturday.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-direct-broadcast-schedule-1.1154152

6 hours ago, Kent said:

This is a great resource. It has every national team game ever, and you can filter by opponent or location (Ex: you can filter for games in "Canada" as well as in "Toronto" or "Ontario")

https://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=schedule_new.tpl&genderId=0&seasonKeyword=&tid=2068&venueKeyword=toronto&opponentTeamKeyword=&month=0&year=

P.S. It also has women's games and youth games.

Well, there goes six hours of my life...super fascinating. Cool to see Victoria had two WCQs or to picture a Canada-England match at Swangard in 85.

My roster for the USA games if everyone is healthy and ready to go. Thoughts ? Oh I can’t wait !!!  Giddyup ! 

Borjan 

Crepeau

Leutwiler

Adekugbe

Morgan

ZBG

Laryea

James

Vitoria

Cornelius

Straith

Arfield

Hutchinson

Eustaquio

Kaye

Piette

Osorio

Davies

Hoilett

Tabla

Millar

Cavallini

Larin

David

Edited by SpecialK

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My starting 11

6AE5C613-D14C-430C-9A1A-F1AB10C573FE.jpeg

I think Laryea has won that right back spot at this point.  I doubt we go back to ZBG against the US. 

We won't see James over Cornelius.  For whatever reason, we haven't even seen James called up lately.  Herdman isn't going to throw him in against the US.

Curious if it will be Adekugbe or Kaye at LB (or even Davies - but I hope not). 

And I have no idea of Hutch's status with the CMNT.  If he isn't around, you could sub in Piette pretty seemlessly. 

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Will the US games be the first apperance of Eustaquio??  I do not want Hutch at CB, he was very shaky there last time.  Sad to say but if Eustaquio is going to be a regular call up now, Hutch is probably done.  

I can't see Eustaquio being anything like match fit.  I really hope he becomes a pillar in the middle for us going forward - and would love to be pleasantly surprised - but in October I doubt he displaces Piette in that midfield role.  Even when he is fit, I have been impressed with the way Piette has consistently done well in the centre for us shielding the back line.  Things happen down the wings that are worrisome, but he really seems to be effective at stifling things coming through the middle. 

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Miller wasn't bad on left back. Maybe gives us a bit more balance if Laryea is bombing up the other flank.

Miller gives us more flexibility in formation as well. We can easily shift to 3 CBs if needed, without having to waste a sub. He has been to all the camps this year as well so he should be very comfortable with Herdman's system.

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I can't see Eustaquio being anything like match fit.  I really hope he becomes a pillar in the middle for us going forward - and would love to be pleasantly surprised - but in October I doubt he displaces Piette in that midfield role.  Even when he is fit, I have been impressed with the way Piette has consistently done well in the centre for us shielding the back line.  Things happen down the wings that are worrisome, but he really seems to be effective at stifling things coming through the middle. 

Eustaquio will be available for selection this weekend so with over a month to go match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.  You have to think he would be a sub for his first cap anyway ala Arfield .. in which case it’s even less of an issue.

I definitely think he should be called.  I think it will be a boost to everyone and also his first call up being against the USA will throw him right in the mix mentality wise.. it really doesn’t get bigger.

I’d like to see Piette, Arfield and Hutchinson in the middle for this one with Eustaquio and Osorio as options off the bench.  Kaye back at LB for this one - he needs to be on the pitch but isn’t displacing my 3 middle guys.

Edited by CanadaFan123

58 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Eustaquio will be available for selection this weekend so with over a month to go match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.  You have to think he would be a sub for his first cap anyway ala Arfield .. in which case it’s even less of an issue.

I definitely think he should be called.  I think it will be a boost to everyone and also his first call up being against the USA will throw him right in the mix mentality wise.. it really doesn’t get bigger.

I’d like to see Piette, Arfield and Hutchinson in the middle for this one with Eustaquio and Osorio as options off the bench.  Kaye back at LB for this one - he needs to be on the pitch but isn’t displacing my 3 middle guys.

Don’t get me wrong - if he is available and fit I am 100% for getting him on the field.  Just not sure it happens in october given our depth in that area and his recent injury.